aberdeen-music

Dream Theater Fans...

Mouse

In parts, You'd have to download the whole of Scenes From A Memory, and Images & Words. If you like it, then you'll get into them, if you don't like it then guess it's not your taste. I got a copy of Images & Words for free, first time I listened to it, I knew I'd seen the light!

I duno bout dream theatre. I know i should like them and i cant work out why i dont. i have the album 'awake' but ive only listened to it bout 4 times as it seems bare - lacking something, and quite weak sounding and monotonous..... maybe i jus have a crap album?

Yeah the awake album for me aswell was very lacking but SCENES FROM A MEMORY and A CHANGE OF SEASONS are my favorite dt albums.

The lyrics are pretty chessy but suit the music !

and if you like the music on its own seriously check out The Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic

Liquid Tension Experiment : download Paradigm Shift and Acid Rain

Transatlantic : Download Duel With The Devil

All long songs but totally worth

and also check out all the band members solo stuff its all inspirational ##

I'd say awake is probably the worst place to start regarding dream theater.

Get "scenes from a memory"

then "Images and Words"

then download 'glass prison' (from six degrees of inner turbulance)

then " Falling Into Infinity"

then "Change Of Seasons"

you really don't need too much else. Except the DVD which is awesome...

Heaviest Album - Train Of Thought

Best Album - Images & Words

Mellowest (and often branded weakest but still good) - Falling Into Infinity

Most Diverse - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Concept Masterpiece - Metropolis Pt.2 - Scenes From A Memory

Best Regarded Songs - A Change Of Seasons, Metropolis Pt.1, Strange Deja-Vu, Glass Prison...

"Duel with the devil" is not one of my favourite Transatlantic song by a long way, always preferred the tracks on the debut. I don't think I've ever managed to get through the second album more than once, whereas SMPTe is a classic album. I love songs like 'We all need some light', I have to say that rather surprisingly Transatlantic were probably the worst live band I ever saw, was really dissapointed, I found Roine Stoltz and Neil Morse to be so far up their own arses it was unbelievable. Portnoy and Trewavas were great as usual, and it's nice to be able to see that I've seen Transatlantic as they've now split up. but was surprised at how bad they were. I've seen Trewavas play over 20 times with Marillion and he's one of the most underated bassists out there, Portnoy has said on record he's the best bassist he's wever worked with, and is a big fan of Marillion, some of whom ever appear on one of the Dream theater DVDs I believe, playing one of their blandest songs for some reason tho !! Portnoy was one of the best drummers I've ever seen, I couldn't believe that Stoltz and Morse were so badm still at least I have the first album, and the live video of their first tour to enjoy before it all went so wrong !

Cheers

Stuart

I was lucky enough to meet and share a drink with Cozy Powell when I saw Brian May in Edinburgh in 93, he was the first 'hero' I'd ever met, and he couldn't have been a nicer guy, he was a great drummer, saw him do his 1812 overture on drums as a drum solo, totally blew me away, it was really sad when he died, certainly before his time, although it highlights the danger of going to fast and talking with people on the mobile !!

Cheers

Stuart

Originally posted by Mouse:

You bastard, you've met Cozy Powell and Fish!

Fish - who hasn't met him, was actually very disappointed with his attitude to be honest.:swearing:

Blackie Lawless (WASP) - having just played a less then half full Barra's to require Bodyguards when signing autographs outside was a bit much.?(

Qualcost Mutilator (Lawnmower Deth) - Completely down to earth and a good laugh.

Vinnie Paul (Pantera/Damageplan) - Too much fan worship to really talk to, got an autograph thou.

Fred Durst (red cap twat) - Seemed cool enough when i spoke to him, released first album in the UK it all changed :rolleyes:

Micheal Amott (Carcass/Arch Enemy) - Didn't really speak but got my Carcass poster signed.

Rob Flynn (Machine Head) - seemed ok, didn't really say much.

Mullet Man (Mullet Man show) - The least said the better:angel:

Yeah, Fish is really hit or miss, you get him on a good day and he's absolutely brilliant, you get him on a bad day and he can be a major arse, I've seen him being both several times. Although for the most part he's ok, last time I saw him he was on amazing form, most relaxed and fun I've seen him, time before he was an arse because he'd had a few bad gigs.

Cozy was a top bloke, really friendly.

Marillion are all pretty good, but I've heard of people getting the cold shoulder from Steve Hogarth but I found him to be ok, a bit standoffish, the bassist Pete is great and Steve Rothery is absolutely brilliant.

Justin Hawkins was a major wanker, made me hate The Darkness even more

Bruce Dickinson was a nice bloke, met him a couple of times, was always really cool

Bruce Watson was another nice bloke, got pissed with his wife

Midge Ure was cool, looks remarkeably like Fred Macauley, but very friendly

Roger Taylor was really cool, bought me a pint after I made a twat of myself ;)

Meat Loaf, another nice guy, very friendly

God there's been so many over the years, the worst have been Justin Hawkins, and Fish on a bad day, the best probably Fish on a good day, Roger Taylor and Cozy...

Cheers

Stuart