aberdeen-music

Why i like King Tuts bar?

Ross

For it reminds me of The Bassment... or more acurately the other way around.

Imagine my surprise when i venture downstairs this evening to be confronted with The Arctic Monkeys, We Are Scientists, Mystery Jets and The Libertines and barely anyone hastled them.

Lovely stuff

Tuts bar is pretty cool. Started an impromptu bender there ever the summer. Also spent ages trying to work out where I knew the barmaid from and didnt realise until days later we had been at the same party once.

Tuts as a venue however is pretty crap. Last gig I went to there was an old friends band (Who are playing the Tunnels on March 1st) and the lead guitarists amp cut out three songs in and took the engineer ages to actually get off his arse to do anything even then all he attempted was to change the four-way adapter. Not sure where the reputation comes from, the stage is in a shite location. Who wants to play to half the room?

Tuts bar is pretty cool. Started an impromptu bender there ever the summer. Also spent ages trying to work out where I knew the barmaid from and didnt realise until days later we had been at the same party once.

Tuts as a venue however is pretty crap. Last gig I went to there was an old friends band (Who are playing the Tunnels on March 1st) and the lead guitarists amp cut out three songs in and took the engineer ages to actually get off his arse to do anything even then all he attempted was to change the four-way adapter. Not sure where the reputation comes from' date=' the stage is in a shite location. Who wants to play to half the room?[/quote']

Are you saying that the guitarists amp packing in is in some way an indicator of how bad the venue is?

I think tuts is a great gig, ok the layout isnt perfect, but the atmosphere at a busy gig is fantastic.

Imagine my surprise when i venture downstairs this evening to be confronted with The Arctic Monkeys' date=' We Are Scientists, Mystery Jets and The Libertines and barely anyone hastled them.

Lovely stuff[/quote']

Damn to be round such talent. A dream.

Just read today that Artic Monkeys are outselling album wise on the debut more than the Beatles.

Ah, those where the days when they were simply a band on myspace.:up:

whenever we have played tuts it has been great...the atmosphere when it is busy is fantastic, and its great to play a gig that is taken so seriously and run in a professional manner.

also you wont get a better onstage sound at any venue, and the sound engineers have always been top notch.

Are you saying that the guitarists amp packing in is in some way an indicator of how bad the venue is?

I think tuts is a great gig' date=' ok the layout isnt perfect, but the atmosphere at a busy gig is fantastic.[/quote']

No, i just meant that the time it took the engineer to get off his arse and do something about it ruined my opinion of the place. I'm sure a lot of people like it but it didnt do anything for me, was always excited by the prospect of going there and when I arrived found it to be less than special.

No' date=' i just meant that the time it took the engineer to get off his arse and do something about it ruined my opinion of the place. I'm sure a lot of people like it but it didnt do anything for me, was always excited by the prospect of going there and when I arrived found it to be less than special.[/quote']

I dont want an argument here but the guitarists amp is not the house engineers resposibility.

I dont want an argument here but the guitarists amp is not the house engineers resposibility.

Sorry should have made myself clearer, it was a house amp. THe guitarist had a go at it, and the singer asked for the engineer, the whole band ended up signlaing to the guy but is still took him ages to actually go an have a look.

Plus I was at the gig with my mate who is a sound engineer and he was almost on stage trying to sort stuff out before the house guy blinked.

Sorry should have made myself clearer' date=' it was a house amp. THe guitarist had a go at it, and the singer asked for the engineer, the whole band ended up signlaing to the guy but is still took him ages to actually go an have a look.

Plus I was at the gig with my mate who is a sound engineer and he was almost on stage trying to sort stuff out before the house guy blinked.[/quote']

House amp.....ok thats different.

Sorry should have made myself clearer' date=' it was a house amp. THe guitarist had a go at it, and the singer asked for the engineer, the whole band ended up signlaing to the guy but is still took him ages to actually go an have a look.

Plus I was at the gig with my mate who is a sound engineer and he was almost on stage trying to sort stuff out before the house guy blinked.[/quote']

I've been caught halfway to stage too many times to sprint out of the starting blocks at the first hint of trouble, but I'd be looking for an indication of wether help was required or not and be ready to move if it was.

Imagine my surprise when i venture downstairs this evening to be confronted with The Arctic Monkeys' date=' We Are Scientists, Mystery Jets and The Libertines and barely anyone hastled them.

Lovely stuff[/quote']

I find the same thing with Nice and Sleazy;s. Many a time i've been in there pre and post gig, as well as enjoying their fine lunches; where i find members of Mogwai, Aereogramme, Stapleton, and Stereophonics without anyone paying a blind bit of notice. Brilliant jukebox too!!

There is no "House" equipment in Tuts and never has been.

It would have been one of the other band's.

achem. Well, i take my statement back and re-aim my angst at the headlining band. Who were knobs anyway. Sorry for wasting everyone's time with my uneducated accusations.

Still a bit crap for a venue not to have any house equipment.

Still a bit crap for a venue not to have any house equipment.

Why?

I can't think of any venue outside Aberdeen that has house backline, I'm sure there are but I've never been to one.

House backline is only useful to venues who do a lot of local band nights, which Tuts, as far as I'm aware, doesn't.

i love tuts. a fantastic venue and as has already been said, busy gigs have a great atmosphere. i went on a whim with the weapon boys to see everytime i die - not a band who i was familiar with - and the atmosphere added so much to the gig. had it been in a lesser venue, i'm sure i'd have enjoyed it far less. as it was, the sound was excellent and the crowd response and their proximity to the band was really fuelling the bands performance.

spoons

/x