aberdeen-music

Honours degree at abdn uni

Jesus.H.Christ

Well, you can do a resit, but it is your first CAS mark for each exam that counts. So say you just got a CAS3. You can resit in Aug and get a CAS 20, but your averave grade will take into the account the 3, but you get your credits, ie, you pass.

In my degree anyway, if i get less than a CAS 12 for anything, That means I can't get a first class degree. Your degree may be more/less lenient.

Thanks' date=' I always though that in an honours degree you couldn't do any re-sits?[/quote']

yeh you can't resit the exams that count in your degree. u get the grade for your first attempt but if you fail then you still need the credits for the course so u do a resit but it only counts for credits not in ur final degree.

i think thats how it works anyway.

If I fail a course (which I suspect i have just done)' date=' what implications does this have on my degree?

I have no idea and haven't been told a scooby.

I'm in 3rd year and doing an MA.

Any info would be appreciated.[/quote']

Did you fail on a written examinatiuon or an assessment?

If it was on an assessment you could ask a third party to independently review the marking of it. Perhaps this is possible for an examination too.

Your first course of action should be to refer to the course document. This will detail how the course works, what units comprise the degree, the curriculum of each unit which may be defined in competence terms and the marking schema. The lecturers will be using the course document to set their lectures and the examination board to set their exams.

A bloke I know had failed a 3rd year Geology assessment. The examiner criticised his scientific method, discussion of errors, language used and structure of the report. I took home a copy of his marked assigment dissected the marker's comments and wrote a letter to the examiner.

In it I pointed out why it was an essay worthy of a pass; that even I a geology luddite and not the sharpest knife in the rack understood the hypothesis, experiment and his report; that it was evident scientific method was employed; that even I could repeat the experiment; that he discussed his errors instead of fudging results to fit; that in communication of science plain English is best. I did note in the letter though that some of her criticisms were justified particularly his handling of errors and included some reading suggestions for him. His marked was raised to a couple of points above a pass and he passed the year.

What course are you doing?

On the web site it says the following:

"Upper Second (2i):

For an Upper Second degree, you must have (a) marks at 15 or better in half

the total elements, and (b) marks at 12 or better in elements constituting

three quarters of the total elements, and © normally marks at 9 or better

in all elements ..."

But notice the word, NORMALLY.

• 4 weeks later...
Crisis averted!

I actually passed. But thanks for everybodys input.

showoff....

he he, well done.

I am starting my Masters in Sept / Oct...

I just confirmed I'll be doing my Master of Fine Art...

looking forward to it, but I am not looking forward to not getting my wage at the end of every month...

ho ho

Guest DustyDeviada
I know at RGU it's your fourth year that counts most for you honours' date=' and if you fail an exam it screws things up.[/quote']

It's different at Aberdeen, Aberdeen is a proper university, not a polytechnic. ;)