aberdeen-music

Arctic Monkeys

jonty84

I heard it mentioned in the most-overrated band thread; what does everyone think of these boys? I expect there to be fairly split opinion over this, but I reckon they're on the brink of really taking off when their album comes out on the 23rd. There's a limit to how big an indie band can be I guess and a limit to how big a band can get in a short space of time but what's gonna happen with them?

Mike

the reason they will be massive is down to the fact that people who dont normally like much indie or pop rock stuff actually like them and thats a lot of people

mass trans genre appeal basically

they will be annoying to lots of people too like all good bands, but I reckon theyll get be as be as big as say Blur were in the 90s

looking forward to the album

Yeah I think its past the point now where they can't be big. Kind of like a rolling stone, there isn't really much that's able to stop them. I couldn't believe that 'I Bet You Look Good...' went to Number 1 through word of mouth alone. I can't really have seen daytime Radio 1 playing it as often as shite like 'The Pussycat Dolls' before it was released. It restores your faith in music that an alternative record can still hit the top spot through the underground.

I saw them in August just after I heard 'Fake Tales of San Francisco' in Belfast, and I only went because I'd heard the hype and heard they were going to be huge so thought I'd seize the opportunity. Regrettably, I knew about 2 songs in the entire set, even though it was superb, and they were awesome live.

Mike

Guest pop-notmyface
It restores your faith in music that an alternative record can still hit the top spot through the underground.

whoa whoa whoa.

hold the horses, friend.

it's hardly an alternative record. the song undoubtedly lies with its roots in the indie tradition (musically). which is what has been dominating the mainstream scene for a few years now (new indie, pop, wave and all those variations).

but netherless, it's a good single. like most singles were meant to be. and it is (in a similar vain of arguement) a lot better than that cash machine song by hard-fi. the band that supported them, Distophia is a band to look out for, for they are also a lot better in my opinion. not convinced? google 'em up (thats Dis-to-pi-a) ;)

good band' date=' but nothing REALLY special. The album is disapointing cos it only a few tunes off being a great great album, bit too much filler, but tunes like Dancefloor and A Certain Romance are brilliant.[/quote']

I think dancefloor is a perfect indie pop song. Although i cant stand the current single just sounds like a shite libertines. All in all dont think very much of them

the reason they will be massive is down to the fact that people who dont normally like much indie or pop rock stuff actually like them and thats a lot of people

Bingo.

They're becoming similar to Franz Ferdinand in the way that they're name often completes the sentence "I don't really like all that rock stuff but I like that song by...".

i think their decent from what ive heard. but for only having a few songs available for the public. im suprised how big they have become' date=' although it does help when NME plug you at every available moment[/quote']

only a few songs, theyve gave about 20 songs available to the public and there all really good. I have a copy of the album and its ace, we wont be able to tell how big they will be at this point, time will tell, looking forward to seeing them again at the end of the month