aberdeen-music

King Kong

Guest bluesxman

O.K on the island it was amazing, kong fighting the t-rex's one word...epic. Then they get to New York and it's like wtf! If i had to witness one more scene of her gazing in wonderment at Kong i would have run out screaming. I just don't get it, call me a synic, but when she starts climing up the building what the fuck is she thinking 'oh this is nice look at the view'...where the fuck did she think he was gonna end up aside from a bloody mess on the tarmac below. its not exactly a sustainable relationship is it, its probably a good thing he died cos her life if they had gotten away would have been fucking boring.

O.K that's not the point cos that's how the story is supposed to go, so aside from that, the acting from the female lead was appaulling (i hate actresses with one mirror-trained facial expression) Jack Black was good at points but just didn't fit into the film, he's too 'look at how funny my face is'. And the script at points was stale to say the least. Also Billy Elliot, stick to ballet your no-good at anything else.

Best bit of the film for me was the way Kong was portrayed by Andy Serkis, brilliantly done. You could tell he spent weeks learning how real Gorrillas express themselves. And his role as Ships chef was the best played part in the film after Kong. Although the getting devoured by slugs bit was a tad gruesome for a 12 cert.

Its not the kind of thing you can simply label 'bad'. It performs every film convention in the book - same old romances, battles, emotions etc. Essentially its perfectly tailored for a standard crowd looking for a good story with some spectacular effects.

But in all honesty, it was proper retard stuff. Bored outta my face for three and half hours.

I thought it was great. I can see the connection to Brain Dead - I liked the fleeting reference on the ship. It didn't strike me as a formulaic action film - that version would involve genetic engineering, miniguns and Will Smith rapping about Monkeys.

I really enjoyed it' date=' bar the first 30 mins, a bit too long winded..

what everyone is forgetting, is that Jackson re-made a film from the 1933 original, so, all you haters that diss the plot / sequences, are forgetting, that the "formula" was actually the original action film! (it's just you hacks have seen it so many times, you are numb to it).

what jackson "said" he wanted to do, was simply re-create the original, with better special effects. (which I think he did) (and a bit more character development), hence the extra 1 and a half hours!

there were some dodgy CGI bits (the herd of dino's running with the crew), but, the jungle + rex + kong footage was great. (Pisses on jurrasic park) and, to the person that wrote this :

you've obviously no knowledge of jacksons signature camera effects / shots.

this was a classic bit of jackson style. Loved it. (it reminded me so much of the monkey capture in "brain dead", (probably filmed inthe same place! (as was the land of the dead, in the Return of the King).[/quote']

You almost had me for a second but I still have to disagree. I've never seen the original but I can't imagine any more 1 dimensional characters than in the re-make: Hero, Damsel, Ruthless badass boat captain, Young Rookie, Pseudo-hero with little morals... Not very good for an extra 90 minutes.

And, the camera effect for the capture scene was pretty awful, it seemed to be used only as a cover up for the gore to keep the rating down, but didn't even manage that as it was easy to see bones crunching, blood dripping and heads rolling. The little kid behind me actually shit his pants.

For a blockbuster aimed at the masses, it doesn't look like it will become anything near as imortal as the original has become. Also, from a guy that gave us Bad Taste and the 'Rings Trilogy... It's nowhere near as good.

For a blockbuster aimed at the masses' date=' it doesn't look like it will become anything near as imortal as the original has become. Also, from a guy that gave us Bad Taste and the 'Rings Trilogy... It's nowhere near as good.[/quote']

Well of course it wont become as iconic as the original, the original was a milestone in filmaking, 11 new fimmaking techniques patented in the creation of it. Nothing like it had ever been seen before (with the exception possibly of Willis O'Brien's Lost World. You also have to remember the film came out during the depression in 1933 and it was a huge record breaker purely because it had never been done before, and really until Harryhausen took over the craft stop motion was never relaly used again to similar effect, whereas CGI is in every film, this typeof effect has become so common, theres no amazement, no doubt about how its done, in 1933 no-one knew how Kong was done, RKO actually used press releases stating it was a man in a suit because they decided people wouldnt be scared if they knew it was an 18" model.

Watching the special features on the US version of the original is great it shows how much of a fan Jackson is, he actually got his guys to recreate the lost spider scene from the original using stop motion techniques used in the 30's so people can see the missing scene. Jackson also owns a huge collection of Kong memorobelia, has been collecting for years, including one of the few stop motion models left from the movie, although the scene with his model was cut out and used in Son of Kong.

I think it was a film that Jackson wanted to do and I think it works, he does make yoy feel Kong is real, the same way you felt it for Gollum, and thats really the essence of Kong, and at least he didnt try to update it to modern times ala War of the Worlds.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest bluesxman

what everyone is forgetting' date=' is that Jackson re-made a film from the 1933 original, so, all you haters that diss the plot / sequences, are forgetting, that the "formula" was actually the original action film! (it's just you hacks have seen it so many times, you are numb to it).

what jackson "said" he wanted to do, was simply re-create the original, with better special effects. (which I think he did) (and a bit more character development), hence the extra 1 and a half hours![/quote']

Since i've watched the original film more times than I care to remember, I can guarantee you he hasn't re-made the original or 'recreated' it. Have you actually seen the original? The original film story is a classic and all he had to do was remake it with decent effects. Probably the best homage for me was in the theatre when they put the original's tribal dance and music sequence as part of the show. The original wasn't a mutual love thang, it was only Kong who wanted the girl, she wanted to escape. The whole feeling sorry for the ape thing came from the dodgy 70's remake I seem to remember. It was so bad I only watched it once.

My hatred of this film was nothing to do with the credibility of what I was seeing with regards to giant gorillas, dinosaurs, etc, , that doesn't bother me, it was the fact a classic story was turned into a modern day action film with ridiculous and unnecessary scenes. The bug thing was fine up to a point, it got over the top, then having the guy swinging past on a vine was just pathetic. I think even the writers of an Arnie film would have turned that idea down as too stupid....and then having a car chase in New York, can you get any more predictable......

i agree with holly and bluesxman here. the problem was that peter jackson didn't seem to ever want to end a scene. i got really bored during the bug bit because it dragged on. yeah, you got just how much danger they were in, you didn't need it hammered home for half an hour. likewise, it took way too long for them to just kill kong. i know that peter jackson wanted to show kong's nigh-on invincibility but it dragged out for so long that by the end of it i was just wanting kong to hurry up and fall off the empire state building so i could leave.

the cgi dinosaur chase had about as realistic effects as a harry potter quiddich game. even when i watch jurassic park now i'm still impressed by the dinosaur effects, a lot more so than i was with the ones in kong. especially since they were done by weta, who were practically flawless in the rings trilogy.

i didn't mind the cheesiness of it all, i just feel like it would have been overall better if they'd cut it down by an hour.

I fucking loved this film! i hated all the lord of the rings films because they were shit, and i refused to go and see this as well, before jonathon ross said it was the most excited he had been since star wars IV! And so I saw it and enjoyed it very much. Except i couldn't stop laughing when the giant monkey fell off the empire state building. that was really funny.

I fucking loved this film! i hated all the lord of the rings films because they were shit' date=' and i refused to go and see this as well, before jonathon ross said it was the most excited he had been since star wars IV! And so I saw it and enjoyed it very much. Except i couldn't stop laughing when the giant monkey fell off the empire state building. that was really funny.[/quote']

Giant monkey?! Whaaaa??!