aberdeen-music

My UCAS = WTF?!

feeble!

Ok, I was just having a quick skim over my UCAS application when I realised that my guidance teacher seems to have ticked the box that asks whether or not I have any criminal convictions. I'm a little dismayed at this news, considering I've never broken the law (not that I'm aware of, at least).

Now, my UCAS has already been sent off and I've received letters from universities saying that they've received my application. Is there any way for me to explain to them that this information is false? Will it affect my chances of being allowed to do the courses I want to do?

I'll need to speak to my guidance teacher tomorrow about it. I mean, I'm one of his most hated pupils but I didn't think he'd stoop this low... What an absolutely shit thing to happen.

Do you not have to tick the box if you don't have any convictions? I'm sure the form changed, but can't think how...

If the guidance teacher has made a mistake, tell him politely and firmly that unless the mistake is resolved immediately by the school, you'll get in touch with a solicitor and the press ;)

Ok' date=' I was just having a quick skim over my UCAS application when I realised that my guidance teacher seems to have ticked the box that asks whether or not I have any criminal convictions. I'm a little dismayed at this news, considering I've never broken the law (not that I'm aware of, at least).

Now, my UCAS has already been sent off and I've received letters from universities saying that they've received my application. Is there any way for me to explain to them that this information is false? Will it affect my chances of being allowed to do the courses I want to do?

I'll need to speak to my guidance teacher tomorrow about it. I mean, I'm one of his most hated pupils but I didn't think he'd stoop this low... What an absolutely shit thing to happen.[/quote']

dude? have you told your parents?

dude? have you told your parents?

Yeah, as soon as I saw it (about half an hour ago :S ) I went and woke up my mum, who promptly raged because we've had so many problems with my guidance teacher in the past.

Then she realised the time and scolded me for being up this late, and told me to go to bed and that we'll deal with it in the morning.

I expect if he doesn't change the information immediately then he'll be getting an earful from my mum and dad.

Do you think I'd have genuine grounds for legal action if the information isn't changed, considering it can really only have a detrimental effect on my application success, and also because it just isn't correct information?

Guest neil ex

Come on, everyone's broken the law before. Have you never urinated on a shop door handle when pished? I reckon you could probably contact the uni you want to go to and tell them there was a mistake. No need to sue no asses - that would be a bit silly and also a bit xtrme considering your guidance teacher probably made a genuine mistake. I'd personally go for a more physical approach.

Come on' date=' everyone's broken the law before. Have you never urinated on a shop door handle when pished? I reckon you could probably contact the uni you want to go to and tell them there was a mistake. No need to sue no asses - that would be a bit silly and also a bit xtrme considering your guidance teacher probably made a genuine mistake. I'd personally go for a more physical approach.[/quote']

i second what he said!

AND i'm proud to say i have urinated over many a shop door handle yet RGU knows nothing about it!

Do you think I'd have genuine grounds for legal action if the information isn't changed' date=' considering it can really only have a detrimental effect on my application success, and also because it just isn't correct information?[/quote']

Yes, very much so. I expect that they'll change it immediately because quite simply, you could nail them for quite a lot otherwise.

Though hang on...what was the guidance teacher doing filling in other parts of the form? The only part they should be near is the reference part, you should be making the declaration of criminal activity yourself, no?

i second what he said!

AND i'm proud to say i have urinated over many a shop door handle yet RGU knows nothing about it!

Wow do you guys realise how much sleep i loose actually worrying im the only one who does that PHHHEWY is all i can say

If your guidence teacher doesnt change your criminal record to NULL kidnap his wife and kid thatll wake him up a bit ... These teachers think its the kids that need moulded and taught proper lessons...

2 nights without his family and a few mental phone calls should give that teacher all the lessons he needs

If your guidence teacher doesnt change your criminal record to NULL kidnap his wife and kid thatll wake him up a bit ... These teachers think its the kids that need moulded and taught proper lessons...

2 nights without his family and a few mental phone calls should give that teacher all the lessons he needs

if he did that, then he would have a criminal record, thus justifying the tick in the box, the repercussions of these actions are infinite. LOOPITY LOOP!

Come on' date=' everyone's broken the law before. Have you never urinated on a shop door handle when pished? I reckon you could probably contact the uni you want to go to and tell them there was a mistake. No need to sue no asses - that would be a bit silly and also a bit xtrme considering your guidance teacher probably made a genuine mistake. I'd personally go for a more physical approach.[/quote']

I have been caught by the police doing that but just got a fine, not a criminal record!!!!

The issue got sorted yesterday, but it took a while. At first my guidance teacher told me that he could change it but he wasn't going to. This of course made me a little angry etc. Lots of words were exchanged and eventually my dad had to go and tell him that he was going to change it or else. So now everything's good :)

Why didn't you just change it?

ie. Write a letter to the universities?

Surely it's just as easy for you to do it as it would have been for the guidance teacher' date=' no?

That way, you could have saved all the hassle of high blood pressure by going to have words with the guidance teacher. :D[/quote']

But then surely anyone could just write a letter and say their guidance teacher was making stuff up. I.e. "My guidance teacher was wrong, I actually AM a very good student and I DO NOT waste everyone's time. Oh, while I'm at it, the grades put down were wrong, I got all 1's!"

But then surely anyone could just write a letter and say their guidance teacher was making stuff up. I.e. "My guidance teacher was wrong' date=' I actually AM a very good student and I DO NOT waste everyone's time. Oh, while I'm at it, the grades put down were wrong, I got all 1's!"[/quote']

To be fair, the guidance teacher isn't meant to fill in the bit about criminal records. So if you wanted to change it, why would you put it down yourself in the first place, see?

To be fair' date=' the guidance teacher isn't meant to fill in the bit about criminal records. So if you wanted to change it, why would you put it down yourself in the first place, see?[/quote']

See, that's why I wanted to have words with him - I most certainly didn't say that I had criminal convictions, and I wondered how it came to be that the information was there.

He had my log in details for UCAS so it's not an impossibility that he put that information there.

Oh well, the main thing is that it got sorted in the end.