aberdeen-music

hieronymus bosch

lepeep

I was in Belgium (Bruges) for a long weekend, and I saw my first "live" hieronymus boschpainting...wowee, they are as amazing as I thought they would be! you can spend hours looking at all the detail. Here is the main part of the triptych that I saw, gotta love his imagination, especially for his time, plenty of nasty images for slayer to sing about.

bygut38.jpg

yeah they are totally cool but....

do you think it was natural imagination or was he assisted by recreational pharmaceuticals?

Pete

yeah because everything creative is drug fuelled and in the 13th century sheets of acid were all over the place! :rolleyes:

Bosch is great anyway, the art gallery used to sell little figures of some of the "characters" in his paintings, unfortunately never got round to buying any.

yeah because everything creative is drug fuelled and in the 13th century sheets of acid were all over the place!

now you are being silly! everyone knows that acid wasn't available in sheet form in the 13th century.

It was in pill form.

Can I make you aware of the book "The influence of mind enhancing chemicals in art" by that famous Irish scholar Dr Her O'win

Pete

I am sure mushies were there in the old days.

you whipper snappers and yer newfangled trips....

I don't know' date=' but, it was amazing that he could paint what he "saw", and, gets away with such devilry, back in his day...[/quote']

yeh well mushies have no doubt been around as long as we have, I just have a problem with the notion that drugs fuel creativity. Not because I don't think drugs can fuel creativtiy, but more because so many people see drug use as a requisite part of being an artist, or that taking drugs somehow makes them a deeper and more interesting person. It's just a big horrible cliche, and what most people don't realise is that the people who are famous for their drug inspired art were intelligent artistic people in the first place.

I was in Belgium (Bruges) for a long weekend' date=' and I saw my first "live" hieronymus boschpainting...wowee, they are as amazing as I thought they would be! you can spend hours looking at all the detail. Here is the main part of the triptych that I saw, gotta love his imagination, especially for his time, plenty of nasty images for slayer to sing about.

[img']http://www.rigocamerano.org/images/bygut38.jpg

That is one cool picture:up:

yeh well mushies have no doubt been around as long as we have' date=' I just have a problem with the notion that drugs fuel creativity. Not because I don't think drugs can fuel creativtiy, but more because so many people see drug use as a requisite part of being an artist, or that taking drugs somehow makes them a deeper and more interesting person. It's just a big horrible cliche, and what most people don't realise is that the people who are famous for their drug inspired art were intelligent artistic people in the first place.[/quote']

Aye, the Druids were heavily into mushies, as were the Vikings. Beserkers used to get fuelled up on Fly Agaric before going into battle. Basically, use of mushrooms is documented as far back as written history goes.

The rest of what you said is very true.