aberdeen-music

wheres the best place to record?!

Parity's Fall

A: How much are you willing to spend?

B: How good of recording are you after? (as in for a demo or for release?)

C: How much tracks do you want to do?

D: (this isnt supposed to be patronising) But are you ready to be in a studio?

Also...do you mean you dont want a live recording done as in ie; what the moorings can do. Or you dont want to be recording as live?

Can I expand on D?

This will probably get me shot down in flames for knowing nothing and all the rest of it..

Don't go into a studio until you can play the songs you want to record perfectly - ie, you can jump to any part of the song straight away without thinking. The studio can paper up the cracks, but why have cracks in the first place? Know your songs inside out - so you'll have a clear and definite idea of how you want them to sound recorded.

Another thing that someone related a while back - it's better to pay for fewer tracks rather than rushing to get every track recorded - a 2 song sampler with two good, strong songs will make you look far better than a 5 track EP with rushed songs.

Also : plan everything in advance, so you know exactly what you're doing in the studio when it comes to recording. If you aren't sure exactly what happens in a studio, find out - ultimately, if you know exactly what's going in, you won't have any surprises in the end result.

Cheers guys.

Well, i guess we are looking to spend around 100/120 pounds or so for 2/3 tracks. We are looking for good quality recordings to release as a sample EP kinda thing, as well as getting more songs up on myspace. We know our songs very well so we are hoping that it shouldnt be too difficult recording them

I have heard that exile is superior to Toms, but what about the Mill studio in Banchory?

Yeah...thats what iv heard. I have heard from many people that the recording that we have on our website is of a higher standard than many toms recordings, and we did that ourselves with an 8 track...So, maybe we will go for exile as we want a better recording than what we have at the mo.

see what you think--

www.myspace.com/paritysfall

Exile is hit or miss, I would recommend contacting them to ask for samples of work by bands that are similar to your band - generally, a lot of people's mileage vary drastically with Exile.

Though I should say - 120 pounds will give you 6 hours at a push in a recording studio. That's an awfully tight frame to squeeze in 3 tracks, even two tracks at 3 hours each would be rushing it in my opinion.

I would say that you'd be better saving up for a decent recording rather than trying to push for what might turn out to only be slightly better than your own recordings - from your own recordings, I'd say they are just fine for getting gigs in the local area and beyond.

Really, ask yourself, do you *need* a recording, and if so, what can it do for you?

If you search the forums, you'll find a wealth of stuff relating to recording.

who is mark?

The real reason we want recordings is that we dont feel like our own ones are representing us well, as they tend to sound quite 'flat'. We know that there are people out their who will hear our songs through the internet/cd before they hear us live, so we would feel far more comfortable knowing that they have heard a good quality, solid recording. In terms of getting gigs etc we are totaly happy with the recordings we have so far.

ps if anyone wishes to hear the 'real' Parity's fall, we are playing in kef on sunday, with Sucioperro ;)

Read the other hundred or so flamewa... I mean threads on this subject. Afterwards it will still be clear as mud. Lots of trolls will disagree with me, but IMO your budget is only sufficient for a decent recording of 1 tune. So I would suggest recording only your best tune instead of trying to cram 3 tunes into the same time. The chances are that you have 1 standout tune that is head and shoulders above your other tunes anyway.

Pretty much all the local studios are capable of decent results. A lot will depend on whether you want to come away with real drum sound, or have your drum tracks fed through a sampler. This technique is partially responsible for making some studios sound better than others on the same budget - they cheat LOL. But hey there's nothing wrong with cheating and most people won't notice! Some bands aren't even aware (weren't told) that their drum tracks have been fed through a sampler... but we'll drop that can of worms LOL. It's the result that counts.

Certain trolls will tell you how they had (insert famous bands name)'s producer record, mix, master, and press 4 albums for 20. But I suspect they are telling fibs.

4 tracks for 100 quid?

what's that' date=' a track an hour?[/quote']

He does 4 tracks at demo quality (no EQing on instruments) for £100 and it takes as long as it takes. You normally get it done in a night. Quik got 4 tracks (which sound ace) recorded and mixed in 3 hours.

Parity's Fall - Mark used to run Exile but it's shut now, though he does recordings from his home I hear.