aberdeen-music

are fudge ready for weapon...

Guest highroller

Guest alex.
Originally posted by Philip:

But he wrote : "are fudge ready for weapon ...dont think you are..."

Ahem, fun/banter!

exactly! the whole reason ben said what he did - like he did - was because the night before he posted, we'd just finished writing a kick-ass song! we're all so proud of it.

it'll be played last tomorrow night - called "i killed rock and roll (but only because she wouldn't keep her mouth shut"

anyways, see y'all tomorrow night. :)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil ex
Originally posted by Ben Quik:

Dan...its pointless..we have a band...a good band...he does not...j.e.a.l.o.u.s

you do just jump on us everywhere im really fed up of people like you having a go because we have fun and do something that a few people talk about and thats fun...notice its never people really who are doing good stuff in other bands or promotion or anything like that that have a go??? hmmm funny that!! its always total n00bs like you!!

Cue the endless shite like "who do you think you are ben?" blah blah...*said in gollum voice* im not listening, not listening!

that's your problem ben, you don't listen to anything. you're so far up your own arse it's unbelieveable.

exactly what have i and new found power to be jealous of?

as far as i'm aware, your band haven't done much. you've played a few gigs in aberdeen, recorded a demo and you've made a fan base of narrow minded kids who were probably MMW fans before you even struck a chord together.

i've no desire to play in a fashionable band.

i choose to express my own opinion ben. you think your band are good. i think your band are shit and i think the way you conduct yourselves on this messageboard is also shit. FULL STOP. where's the jealousy?

the way you're talking, 'we have a good band... he does not' is incredibly naive. it's as if you're saying 'FACT - we have a good band, anyone that argues is WRONG'. it's an opinion ben. everyone has an opinion on something, whether they choose to express it or not.

now fuck off, get real and stop accusing people of being jealous of you if they don't like your band. i can't belevie how fucking stupid you're being about this.

Guest neil ex
Originally posted by jamesy weapon:

As I said months back, we have over 15 years band experience between the 5 of us, we dont need people that have been in bands for around a year, or not even at all, telling us what we should or shouldn't be doing...

Get over it guys...

oh right, good thinking jamesy. well done.

why the fuck are you having a go at paul anyway?

i'm sure my mind's weapon would have won most stupid band at the fudge awards had it been an award...

you have a funny way of showing that you don't care about this messageboard or the aberdeen music scene.

you're right about one thing jamesy, i dont understand where you're coming from at all. you keep on contradicting yourself with your usual bullshit 'oh i don't give a fuck about anything you have to say' attitude when you're clearly bothered about any form of critisism you receive.

you're always asking for feedback/critisism on here (and that includes everyone that posts on this messageboard). when you go telling people to fuck off and that you don't give a shit about what they have to say it just makes you like an idiot.

big deal, you think your band are great. i'd imagine any band that really wanted to go places would think they're good.

Guest WalkingOnGlass
Originally posted by neil ex:

oh right, good thinking jamesy. well done.

why the fuck are you having a go at paul anyway?

i'm sure my mind's weapon would have won most stupid band at the fudge awards had it been an award...

you have a funny way of showing that you don't care about this messageboard or the aberdeen music scene.

you're right about one thing jamesy, i dont understand where you're coming from at all. you keep on contradicting yourself with your usual bullshit 'oh i don't give a fuck about anything you have to say' attitude when you're clearly bothered about any form of critisism you receive.

you're always asking for feedback/critisism on here (and that includes everyone that posts on this messageboard). when you go telling people to fuck off and that you don't give a shit about what they have to say it just makes you like an idiot.

big deal, you think your band are great. i'd imagine any band that really wanted to go places would think they're good.

You got boring around 3 months ago when the Zombie came back and showed you how anti-scene was done...

We'll do our thing, you do yours...have a nice life...

Guest neil ex
Originally posted by jamesy weapon:

You got boring around 3 months ago when the Zombie came back and showed you how anti-scene was done...

We'll do our thing, you do yours...have a nice life...

oh right, so because i don't like your band and i question the way you conduct yourselves on this messageboard, i'm not only jealous, but i'm anti-scene.

well i'm not anti-scene.

atleast i wasn't boring for a while though, ay?

Guest iamkelly

I can agree somewhat that Jamesy may ask for criticism about having double standards, and/or having somewhat of a mixed attitude towards people offering their opinions (whether constructive or not) of the band.

On the other hand, I think I can make something a bit clearer for you concerning this little paradox you've stated:

Originally posted by neil ex:

MMW (not just Jamesy) DO care about the opinions of people. It is one thing to be curious about how people will respond to your music, and to take on constructive criticism. On the other hand, people make comments on this site criticizing each others music, almost as if to expect the band to change it to suit their (the critiques) taste.

As for being bothered by any form of criticism. Why yes, Jamesy is bothered. And maybe the rest of MMW is, too. He puts up a front, maybe casually saying that he doesnt give a fuck about what negativities people my bring to the table. Think about it this way. The music that MMW makes is so personal to them. They pour their hearts and souls into it, and every waking moment needed (and more) to make it exactly what THEY want it to be, nothing less. I know for Jamesy at least, its the first thing that really means something to him. So for him to a) deal with and b) accept and not un-necessarily retaliate to every negative response is nearly impossible. I can assure you that Jamesy and MMW (as far as I know) can and are trying their best to cope with all of the feedback (both positive and negative) in an appropriate manner. Think about it this way: Its as personal as someone openly insulting how you are in bed. On a messageboard. But worse. Because Jamesy knows hes ace in bed. Anyhow, its all about the music. And you could easily say Well then, why do they ask for criticism if they cant handle it? Because they want their music to be the best it can be. Maybe MMW wont change their band so it suits your standards, but Im sure if you had a good point they would take it on, if they thought it would improve the quality of their band as a whole, whilst still being what theyre all about.

If someone wants to shoot me down for (expectedly) rushing to the aid of Jamesy. Go ahead. Dont give a fuck!

Originally posted by iamkelly:

Think about it this way. The music that MMW makes is so personal to them. They pour their hearts and souls into it, and every waking moment needed (and more) to make it exactly what THEY want it to be, nothing less.

Yeah, but it's the same for every decent band; some people just deal with criticism differently.

Guest iamkelly
Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

Yeah, but it's the same for every decent band; some people just deal with criticism differently.

No doubts. [Just to make sure, I'm not trying to propose that MMW are the only band who do this, who receive criticism, or who deal with (instead of ignore) their criticism, because I'm sure there are plenty of other dedicated bands who deal with this.]

Yes, people deal with criticism differently; Someone never having to deal with such personal criticism before (as is Jamesy's case for MMW), it might take them a while to find that appropriate manner to respond. Even then there is no ONE 'right' way to deal with criticism. Some bands just tend to go through a few more wrong methods than others, before finding the perfect response for them.

Guest tv tanned
Think about it this way. The music that MMW makes is so personal to them. They pour their hearts and souls into it, and every waking moment needed (and more) to make it exactly what THEY want it to be, nothing less.

calm down dear, you'll get the seat wet.

moving away from the sycophancy for one moment.

I still don't see the need for all this aggression, people on both sides need to chill out.

I don't see what's so wrong about letting the music do the talking, or perhaps being slightly less 'high and mighty' in the face of genuine criticism.

Experience doesn't necessarily make you better or wiser, nor does the fact people aren't in a band make them automatically jealous.

Sweeping assertions tend to devalue any argument.

Guest highroller

ok VERY good points there tanned....sometimes letting the music do the talking doesnt work...there alot of great bands out there who "let the music do the talking...man" and who the fuck gives a fuck about em? not many people...believe me!! We are already one of the most talked about bands...7 gigs in and a rep...and its a pretty good rep judging by what people are feeding back to us, some of them friends and some i dont know from Adam!!

To be fair, Ive learned to let poisnous little fucksticks like Neil ex/yousef/whatever noncey name i go under wash over me! He does try the moral high ground comeback of "get over yourself, why would i be jealous of you?" Ive tried to ask that and as a thread on the wasteland proved a few people did notice that he did seem to have an issue with me....anyway...over it!

Tanned, im looking forward to you seeing us man...i mean that. it will be great to get the opinion of someone who isnt into the music like it was to get from mr lucifer....you know your shit so it will be good...make it soon wont you!?

Again people...if you dont like the way we conduct ourselves on here...ignore it...there are HEAPS of people who say things on here that make me mad but they tend to be sexist,offensive,racist etc etc but some dudes who get pissed that you love your band and dont like it when they see you getting on and achieving things they have yet to/never will....i just try not to have random goes like we are the victim of....

We take criticism and dont bite back at it like some say...there is a difference between...."bits sound generic" and "fuck you ben, who do you think you are....your such a cock...i hate you cos i have a small willy and my girlfriend wants to fuck you...."*

*im fucking kidding so DONT even think of whining ok??

Please...I know we can be overbearing and cocks at times...cant we all if we are honest (neil ex=cock ALL the time) Just come see us and enjoy...if you like tell us and if you dont..tell us!! Know one thing...I dont think any of us have been more passionate about much else....

Ben xx

ok VERY good points there tanned....sometimes letting the music do the talking doesnt work...there alot of great bands out there who "let the music do the talking...man" and who the fuck gives a fuck about em? not many people...believe me!!

I'd say bands who just let their music do the talking get more respect, look at the likes of Tool, APC, Mogwai, Explosions in the sky etc etc

They are all amazing gifted bands, who are loved all over the world, and you will rarely hear a bad word said about them. None of them are outspoken or make a big deal about how great they are, and they get respect.

Just an opinion.

Guest stuartmaxwell

most people up here are in bands to have a laugh, and the few decent bands from aberdeen who have the right determination/attitude/potential to make it have very little "rep" within the wasteland like my minds weapon do :angel:

thats not a bitchy post in any way but i reckon you are getting a bit ahead of yourselves, as you say you have only played 7 gigs, you have a big (guessing??) fanbase, but when the next trend of music comes along, will they still be there? you are part of theee trend

most of your reputation is not because of your music, its because of your bad publicity (inane mmw ramblings vs the aberdeen music scene etc etc), im not jealous etc (see the neil ex stuff) i couldnt put up with all the guff that seems to surround you

thats why i think if you guys are as serious as you come accross, then its perhaps the right time to tone the gobs down a bit:dunce: for the sake of making yourselves a better band

Guest neil ex

To be fair, Ive learned to let poisnous little fucksticks like Neil ex/yousef/whatever noncey name i go under wash over me! He does try the moral high ground comeback of "get over yourself, why would i be jealous of you?" Ive tried to ask that and as a thread on the wasteland proved a few people did notice that he did seem to have an issue with me....anyway...over it!

Again people...if you dont like the way we conduct ourselves on here...ignore it...there are HEAPS of people who say things on here that make me mad but they tend to be sexist,offensive,racist etc etc but some dudes who get pissed that you love your band and dont like it when they see you getting on and achieving things they have yet to/never will....i just try not to have random goes like we are the victim of....

(neil ex=cock ALL the time)

what thread are you on about ben? i don't remember anyone noticing any problem i have with you.

the moral high ground reply, yeah ben, good one. could be an idea for a trendy band name. listen to yourself accusing me of being jealous of you, you sound just a tad stupid.

there are people that don't like your band, but i don't know anyone that gets pissed off because you love your band or if you achieve. just accept that some people truely don't like your band.

there you go ben, calling me a cock again. thanks for the crack. you better hope i never turn up at a my mate's bicycle gig.

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell:

most people up here are in bands to have a laugh, and the few decent bands from aberdeen who have the right determination/attitude/potential to make it have very little "rep" within the wasteland like my minds weapon do

But what at all does "the potential to make it" have anything at all to do with reputation in the wasteland? Why would our "reputation in the wasteland" ever affect our success as a band? We've got a gig in Glasgow carling academy coming up soon, and I very much doubt that the crowd will be like "but I read on the wasteland that they're assholes"...

most of your reputation is not because of your music, its because of your bad publicity (inane mmw ramblings vs the aberdeen music scene etc etc), im not jealous etc (see the neil ex stuff) i couldnt put up with all the guff that seems to surround you

This I find ironic. Why could you not be bothered with all the guff that would surround your band, yet you're happy to take part in the guff that surrounds someone else's band? Too many people shoot MMW down for being outspoken, but are then more than willing to join in arguments and list a million reasons why so-and-so is an asshole, which I find hypocritical.

thats why i think if you guys are as serious as you come accross, then its perhaps the right time to tone the gobs down a bit:dunce: for the sake of making yourselves a better band

I think that is a pretty stupid comment, because being a "better band" has NOTHING to do with how you are seen by a few people on a message board. That is unless you believe that aberdeen and the wasteland's perception of you, is the be all and end all of being a 'successful' band. Which would completely contradict your "I couldn't be bothered with all the guff" comment.

I'm not trying to be overly-defensive, I just think that for every person that tells us that we should tone down or whatever, just gives us reason to respond - therefore continuing your aforementioned "inane mmw ramblings vs aberdeen music scene" comment. :dunce:

Guest stuartmaxwell
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

But what at all does "the potential to make it" have anything at all to do with reputation in the wasteland? Why would our "reputation in the wasteland" ever affect our success as a band? We've got a gig in Glasgow carling academy coming up soon, and I very much doubt that the crowd will be like "but I read on the wasteland that they're assholes"...

you mixed different parts, i said that because ben was talking about your good reputation, and i was challenging that

as for glasgow, i am (plus im sure most are) well chuffed for you guys, you have never even played glasgow before and have pulled a very big gig indeed, which could come down to your mouths working in your favour (for once), good effort

This I find ironic. Why could you not be bothered with all the guff that would surround your band, yet you're happy to take part in the guff that surrounds someone else's band?

im not taking part in guff, i give my opinion on your circumstances, like i do with any band

you guys brought the guff on yourselves

I think that is a pretty stupid comment, because being a "better band" has NOTHING to do with how you are seen by a few people on a message board.

i wasnt talking about a messageboard there, i remember you guys said that you just want to write better songs and get better and better as a band. the more pressure you put on yourselves MAY affect your band in a shite way (could be good, depends what you are like as a band)

That is unless you believe that aberdeen and the wasteland's perception of you, is the be all and end all of being a 'successful' band.

you know me well enough to realise that i do not think like that, quite the oppposite in fact.

I'm not trying to be overly-defensive, I just think that for every person that tells us that we should tone down or whatever, just gives us reason to respond - therefore continuing your aforementioned "inane mmw ramblings vs aberdeen music scene" comment. :dunce:

fair do's

:cheers:

I do think there are bands that get hyped (for whatever reason) in the local scene who do not deserve it. MMW, well there music is pretty good, if they entertain me then thats good!

I do hear stories about certain bands attitudes (not naming any names) that exhibit arrogance. Cockyness is fun, arrogance, I cant stand.

If you ever come to a Spike gig and your in a band who are arrogant then no doubt Jake (SPD vocalist) will tell everybody in the audience and have a big rant. I try and stop him but it seems to get a laugh when some " home truths" are boldly vocalised.

Guest The Dark Knight

This is one of those threads that should have been closed a LONG time ago. So why am I bringing it back up you ask? Well cuz I just wasted the past hour or so of my life reading it... so I may as well make sure it was worth it! :p

I've only heard MMW's first demo, and to be honest, I didn't really like it. I'm not saying it didn't have it's good points, but it wasn't quite my cup of hot chocolate. Now that you're all about full on metal core (at least that's what you seem to promote), then that's right up my street. I do like a bit of metal mixed with harmony (ala Killswitch Engage with Jesse David Leech). I may be interested in attending a gig because of your music style. That's the only hook I need. I don't need to be told how great your band is or how many people like you. It's down to the individual (sorry to say, but there's not much individuality on these boards. That usually comes from the school goers.). I think if you guys spent more time advertising your band on what kind of music you play and what bands, genres and songs have influenced your band, you'll find a lot more people taking notice of you in a good way. Not all publicity is good publicity. For 100 people that say you're shite, only 10 people will think you're good. If that sounds good to you guys, then hey...ok!

I know most of you offline, and you're all pretty cool. Used to have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Jamesy that was more of a laugh than anything. But I'm sorry to say, I have to be one of those people that is a little weary of your online persona's. The whole "ego" thing which you guys are doing probably hasn't gone in your favour. Or maybe it has. Reading through that Instruction interview that Jamesy posted up, I kinda thought that maybe you were just trying to imitate them? Not their music, but their attitude. I could be wrong, but that's just how it comes across.

I guess sometimes you guys have to remember that this is a message board. The people who type shit on here would never have the balls to say it to your face, so don't get too worked up about it. I don't want to pick on anyone, but Ben's reply's are a little on the childish side. I don't have a problem with you at all Ben, so please don't think that I have. I've met you and you're a cool guy. However, you come across on this message board as unrecognisable, especially on this thread. You've been stooping to the immature levels of others in your replys and you're just fueling them with more and more comebacks. Be the bigger man and just laugh it off as pathetic. Fair enough you'll get the occasional "Ooh look, I shut him up" posts, just don't take notice of it. They're spending their time on an internet message board posting crap about a band they've probably never seen whilst you're out living your dream. You're doing what you're doing beause it's what you believe in, they're doing what they're doing because....well, I don't really know. They must have a reason. I'm not going to say "cuz they can't get laid" or some shit because then I'm just as bad as them. You're 25 Ben, most of these people are 18 or younger. Try setting a better example. Also, posts like "*APPLAUSE RINGING AROUND THE ARENA*" are really not needed. The fact that you agree should be enough, you don't need silly comments like this to put that fact over. Especially in a thread like this where everything you type is being picked on. (mostly by me, sorry! :p)

If you all believe in yourselves so much for doing something you want to, then fine. You don't need people to tell you otherwise. It's YOUR band, YOUR sound, if other people don't like it then accept that. It doesn't mean you need to change anything, it just means one less ticket sold per gig. So what?

This post isn't meant in any argumentative way, so I hope it doesn't come across like that. I know how hard it is to try and post something only for people to take it the wrong way. Sympathy vote for Mr Ben there. Before posting something, read it through. Heck, even speak it out. If you're trying to be sarcastic/humorous, use smilies etc... Let people know you are joking, it may look silly as you type it, but people will catch on that it's only a joke. Something that was missing in the point of this thread. People saw it as being egotistical. Stick in a few of these guys :p and people will realise it's only a larf. har har! (Mind you, with all the closed minded people on these boards, and the bad rep you guys already have, that probably won't even work.)

I'm all for online persona's, heck I'm probably one of the most famous ones on here. Well, not anymore. (you all know! ;)) Being egotistical and a dick were my traits, I was having a laugh with it and the reactions I got were some of the most legendary things ever written on the internet. Thing is, I wasn't trying to promote a band on the sideline. So really all that was damaged was my respect or whatever which I was fine with, once people starting meeting me off the boards, I made more friends in a couple of weeks than in the past 4 years. Now I know you guys aren't like anything on this message board, but if people don't know you, then this 'online persona' you all share is how you'll be perceived. For me, not a bad thing, for you guys it's gonna harm your band. What's the point in trying to make a really great band when no one (except from your loyal fanbase) will want to go see? I mean, ok ok, so you got a gig in Glasgow. So you're going places that this message board means nothing to. So congrats to that. But I'm sure you guys would at least like to be welcomed in your hometown (hometown for the band that is, I don't know if you're not all from Aberdeen).

Anyway, in closing, this thread got way out of hand and should have been closed long ago. Fair points were being expressed (Rob Karloff's for instance was amazingly well put and totally understandable (ps. I wanted to rip off his idea! :p)) but the childish bickering stopped this from being anything constructive. You guys just keep going out there playing to your hearts content and just try to steer clear of mindless arguments like this. Remember, the more you post back, the more you get back. It's all very good defending your band, but when you start nit picking then you're already failing your band. Jamesy seemed to come to his senses and just post the odd "Just come see our band" which I thought was good. That's all you need as a comeback. "Just come see our band and then make your decision to like us or not. If you do, great! Buy our music, support our band! If you don't, that's ok. There's plenty other bands on the scene you may like instead!" Ok, that would probably make you sound a bit gay, but at least it's not going to get an immense amount of backlash like "WE ARE A FUCKING GREAT BAND" "We do what we want" "We don't care what you think"

Hope you can see where I'm trying to come from with all this, if you don't, then I have failed in my mission to become a successful member of the Jedi Council. Poor Yoda, I let him down. Keep in mind that my intent was not to rile you all up and beat me with a drum stick, nor anymore kidnapping (AHEM!!). I'm on your side for the most part, but I have to support some of the other views expressed as this is how I feel too.

I feel it's time for a quote....by Jesus no less:

"Live by the sword, die by the sword" - You keep up the way you're going, and your faces will be getting further to the floor everyday.

Good day fine chaps, now if you have any of these new songs on mp3, I'd very much like to be pointed in the direction of them. Thank you.

ps. Ben, PLEASE! Can you stop using the word n00b!! You're giving us l337 geeks a bad name! :p

|064|\| ph34rs |\|0 0|\|3!!

w00t!