aberdeen-music

Graveheart @ Lemon Tree

Lemonade

I think Devlish would have been a lot better if they were on before Karloff.

Blaming the audience for not cheering loud enough was never a tactic that was going to work. Neither was sounding like a pishier version of Placebo. I feel slightly cheated by whoever it was who decided to make Cramps comparisons in the promotion for the gig.

Karloff were fantastic' date=' as usual

Develish Presley were lets's say, not quite so fantastic.

And then Zombina & The Skeletones - holy shit! They were absolutely amazing! Definitely one band I am going to keep an eye on. 50's 4 part harmony done by zombies? How can that be wrong?[/quote']

I would have said, for me, that the best band of the night were Develish Presley, far better than Karloff who musically were good but vocally not so strong (first time seeing them in a long time). Zombina were OK but I kept thinking of the Chipmuinks when she sang,

Cheers

Stuart

I feel slightly cheated by whoever it was who decided to make Cramps comparisons in the promotion for the gig.

Yeah... I could think of a bunch of comparisons before ever even thinking about the Cramps. I think that maybe came from blurb on other websites, I don't think any of us had ever heard them before they actually played.

I would have said' date=' for me, that the best band of the night were Develish Presley, far better than Karloff who musically were good but vocally not so strong (first time seeing them in a long time). Zombina were OK but I kept thinking of the Chipmuinks when she sang,[/quote']

Did you go to the same gig as everyone else? Everyone I've spoken to thus far has said exactly the same, that Zombina were on fire, they didn't like Devilish, and we came somewhere in the middle. Something I'd fully agree with! Did you not notice all the bum notes and stuff in the Devilish set? Both on bass and guitar?!

Guest bluesxman
Yeah... I could think of a bunch of comparisons before ever even thinking about the Cramps. I think that maybe came from blurb on other websites' date=' I don't think any of us had ever heard them before they actually played.[/quote']

There's only one Cramps. And even they are declining into an increasingly comedic version of themselves. The drop in standard between Flamejob and Big Beat From Badsville and then onto Fiends Of Dope Island is very disappointing.....

Did you go to the same gig as everyone else? Everyone I've spoken to thus far has said exactly the same' date=' that Zombina were on fire, they didn't like Devilish, and we came somewhere in the middle. Something I'd fully agree with! Did you not notice all the bum notes and stuff in the Devilish set? Both on bass and guitar?![/quote']

I though Zombina were pretty good but i didnt like the vocals, a personal thing. There may have been mistakes in Devilish but vocally I thought they carried it much better and i preferred that, musically i liked Karloff but the vocals were, to my ears, terrible, but it'ds all personal opinion. I must also say this was not my kind of music, I was there as my brother was up for the weekend and was meeting people there, I possibly liked Develish as theyr were the most mainstream of the bunch.

Cheers

Stuart

There's only one Cramps. And even they are declining into an increasingly comedic version of themselves. The drop in standard between Flamejob and Big Beat From Badsville and then onto Fiends Of Dope Island is very disappointing.....

... or maybe you're just getting old! Na, it is true that no self-respectig fiend would put on those albums ahead of the likes of Psychedelic Jungle or Smell of Female, but there are still great moments on the recent stuff.

As for DP, I figured that the Cramps comparisons were either lifted from a lazy (and ignorant) journalist's comparison, or the band's own self-delusional / downright false promotion. I had braced myself for the inevitable 'disgraceland' (geddit?!?) pun in at least one of their songs, and felt sick when it came.

But Zombina were indeed a shambolically zombified treat, and the 'loff were on top form too, I thought. All I was worried about in terms of the vocals was the lack of the trademark Ghoulmore echo (or is it reverb?) that I reckon completes the Karloff sound.

I must also say this was not my kind of music' date=' I was there as my brother was up for the weekend and was meeting people there, I possibly liked Develish as theyr were the most mainstream of the bunch.

[/quote']

"If it wasnt your thing surely it would have been better to not take the tikets and leave them for omeone who would have appreciated them."

source : http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29149&page=1&highlight=tunstall

Guest bluesxman
... or maybe you're just getting old! Na' date=' it is true that no self-respectig fiend would put on those albums ahead of the likes of Psychedelic Jungle or Smell of Female, but there are still great moments on the recent stuff.[/quote']

Def. some great songs on the later albums but also some real shite that sounds like a bad parody of them. What really bothered me about the last album was the picture on the back - those costumes....depressing. I have to watch my DVD of them Live at Napa State Hospital now and then to regain faith....

All I was worried about in terms of the vocals was the lack of the trademark Ghoulmore echo (or is it reverb?) that I reckon completes the Karloff sound.

Hmm, we did me around a fair bit in souncheck getting it set up. It doesn't appear on the CD recording that Lisa kindly did for me, but I don't know where in the sound chain the CD was patched really. We also found it tricky in Edinburgh to get the echo right, in the end patching in Ash's wee Zoom FX unit he has pre-set in case of emergency. I think we'll maybe just insist on using this in future as it's exactly how he needs it to be, and all the sound dude/ette has to do is adjust the amount of effect.

Hmm' date=' we did me around a fair bit in souncheck getting it set up. It doesn't appear on the CD recording that Lisa kindly did for me, but I don't know where in the sound chain the CD was patched really. We also found it tricky in Edinburgh to get the echo right, in the end patching in Ash's wee Zoom FX unit he has pre-set in case of emergency. I think we'll maybe just insist on using this in future as it's exactly how he needs it to be, and all the sound dude/ette has to do is adjust the amount of effect.[/quote']

Any chance of a copy of the CD, Rob?

"If it wasnt your thing surely it would have been better to not take the tikets and leave them for omeone who would have appreciated them."

source : http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29149&page=1&highlight=tunstall

And had it been a sold out gig with people desperate for tickets then I would have done, as it was it was a gig with maybe 1/3rd of the tickets sold so I figured that they might like the extra cash :)

Have you ever heard of such a thing as context ?

Cheers

Stuart

And had it been a sold out gig with people desperate for tickets then I would have done' date=' as it was it was a gig with maybe 1/3rd of the tickets sold so I figured that they might like the extra cash :)

Have you ever heard of such a thing as context ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

yeah, the context of your no minute phone call versus the 3 hours I spent calling Radio 2 means something as well.

fact is this - both sets of tickets were readily available at a point in time. Whoever spent time trying to get tickets deserved tickets - just beacuse you're a fan doesn't automatically entitle you to special dispensation.

Boils down to this basically - we both went to see music we weren't exactly huge fans of. Both of us were trying to experience something different.

Would you have been happier if I'd come out of Moshulu praising to high heavens the show I'd witnessed?

yeah' date=' the context of your no minute phone call versus the 3 hours I spent calling Radio 2 means something as well.

fact is this - both sets of tickets were readily available at a point in time. Whoever spent time trying to get tickets deserved tickets - just beacuse you're a fan doesn't automatically entitle you to special dispensation.

Boils down to this basically - we both went to see music we weren't exactly huge fans of. Both of us were trying to experience something different.

Would you have been happier if I'd come out of Moshulu praising to high heavens the show I'd witnessed?[/quote']

I agree with some of what you say, but it boils down to the fact, at least for me, if i wasnt at all sure I'd like something I wouldnt have gone to it at the expense of someone who would really enjoy it, if theres spare tix etc and i'm bored i will give something a chance but I wouldnt take the tickets off of someone guaranteed to enjoy it, personal thing maybe, but thats how it is for me.

Cheers

Stuart

I agree with some of what you say' date=' but it boils down to the fact, at least for me, if i wasnt at all sure I'd like something I wouldnt have gone to it at the expense of someone who would really enjoy it, if theres spare tix etc and i'm bored i will give something a chance but I wouldnt take the tickets off of someone guaranteed to enjoy it, personal thing maybe, but thats how it is for me.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Personally, I'll give anything a chance. If you're not going to go to something as you "wasnt at all sure I'd like [it]" then you're giving up before you ever start. I mean, how else are you going to hear new music other than listening to it?