aberdeen-music

:: Lo Down :: Opening 29th October ::

Wax

Lo Down is a new late-night lounge and club, housed in three supporting arches (dated circa. 1800) on Carnegies Brae below Aberdeens main thoroughfare, Union Street. Carnegies Brae is accessed from two points; the side of Marks and Spencer or from the Green.

Entertainment is high on the agenda, along with a good, reasonably-priced selection of house, premium and mixed drinks. Unless otherwise stated, entry is free at all times.

During the week we drape one of the arches off, where you can take advantage of our drink offers whilst lounging to a rotation of DJs, spinning an eclectic selection from soul and hip-hop, disco and funk to broken beat and house.

Friday/Saturday nights open the club up for a rotation of new and established clubnights catering for all your audio requirements. Special guests also feature regularly.

Jazz cats - make your way to Lo Down on Sundays for the Maison Bourbon Live Jazz Collective.

Although the website is still a work in progress, there is an option to sign up for our membership scheme that will launching soon. Members will be entitled to drink offers and discounts on tickets for high profile events, amoungst other benefits. Visit www.lo-down.co.uk.

Another benefit to those signing up early, will be the opportunity to land passes for our preview opening night on Thursday 27th October. There will be complimentary champagne and shooters, whilst entertainment will be provided by the Maison Bourbon Live Jazz Collective, followed by Martin "Big Boy" Jay (and no, that is not my nickname for him. Neither is it his girlfriend's.).

NOVEMBER SPECIAL GUESTS:

Friday 11th - QUANTIC (QUANTIC SOUL ORCHESTRA/TRU THOUGHTS) tbc

Friday 18th - MANGA in association with JUNGLE NATION

Saturday 19th - WAX (guest tbc)

Thursday 24th - MANI (STONE ROSES - DJ Set)

Wednesday 30th - RODNEY P (BBC 1XTRA)

DECEMBER SPECIAL GUESTS:

Saturday 3rd - TOKYO PROJECT (feat. MARK DOYLE formerly of HED KANDI)

Friday 9th - PETER HOOK (NEW ORDER) + JON DA SILVA (HACIENDA)

Lo Down :: Carnegies Brae :: Aberdeen :: AB10 1BF

Opens Saturday 29th October - Free Entry.

Guest MerryChristmas

Extremely nice inside, stone walls no wooden pannelling covering it up, loads of room, bar staff were quite friendly

might have changed since a month or so ago

Well folks, it wouldn't be a nightclub opening in Aberdeen without a delay. Lo Down is now scheduled for opening mid-November.

With the exception of Quantic (moved to Feb 2006), all previously-advertised gigs are going ahead as planned:

Thursday 17th - PREVIEW OPENING

Friday 18th - MANGA in association with JUNGLE NATION

Saturday 19th - GRAND OPENING

Thursday 24th - MANI (STONE ROSES - DJ Set)

Wednesday 30th - RODNEY P (BBC 1XTRA) - Early Show 14+

Guests confirmed for 2006: Quantic, DJ Language (BBE) and Gilles Peterson.

Visit www.lo-down.co.uk for updates and free membership.

Let me be the first to point out that this is not a hip-hop club or an indie club. If you look at the variety of our nights (first post), then you'll realise that we're quite a neutral venue. Besides, did you feel safe the night Eddie Halliwell was at the Tunnels or when UrbanScot had that showcase. No difference.

I'm not too sure of ticket prices, I just spoke to the promoter today and he says all the promotion material is scheduled to be put out at the end of the week. I think 14 sounds about right though (for Peter Hook, I'll double-check for Mani).

Both gigs are 11pm til 3am (I'll have to double-check that though, they might open at 10pm).

Price-wise, depends on your perception of steep. Was the Ocean Colour Scene gig at the LT not 20 a ticket, for an acoustic set? Higher costs plus full(ish) band, yes, but all depends how much you really want to see someone. Not trying to start a debate on ticket prices, just my opinion.

The prices independant promoters charge for their gigs is not really my business, although too high would warrant me asking if that was wise (affects my bar sales obviously). 14 to me is reasonable enough for it to be none of my business. There is also the ex-Hacienda DJ Jon Da Silva playing on the same night.

More DJ's than live bands. But it's pretty much the case of anything of quality is very welcome. Initially we won't be kitted out with a set-up good enough for live bands, but we will be looking into that.

Personally, I like Cargo in London and that's not far off what we're trying to accomplish up here.

so why book these drug addled dj's' date=' if you know you are going to attract a heaving mass of lowlife................ sorry of course [/quote']

Common sense suggests that the more "names" that play a club, the easier it'll be to get other "names" to play the same place. It's not promoted by them, but they'll get the rub from being able to say "yes, we've hosted a night by blah blah blah" and it'll make them appear more credible when it comes to attract others up here.

Credibility and track record is everything, after all.

Anyway, I assume ticket prices for things there will be the same way as everything else - decided by someone else, not the venue.

I assume ticket prices for things there will be the same way as everything else - decided by someone else, not the venue

Actually only one regular clubnight (Manga/Jungle Nation) and those two gigs (Mani + Peter Hook) are the only externally promoted gigs booked so far. Everything else is booked and promoted in-house, or more specifically by moi.

Don't like charging high ticket prices, the benefit of booking shows in-house is that unlike promoters, we don't have to make a profit from ticket sales - we've got the bar.