aberdeen-music

Who would win - a python or an alligator?

Guest She-Wolf

Guest She-Wolf

Neither it seems. Nature is amazing.

ootcha.jpg

An unusual clash between a 6-foot (1.8m) alligator and a 13-foot (3.9m) python has left two of the deadliest predators dead in Florida's swamps.

The Burmese python tried to swallow its fearsome rival whole but then exploded.

The remains of the two giant reptiles were found by astonished rangers in the Everglades National Park.

The rangers say the find suggests that non-native Burmese pythons might even challenge alligators' leading position in the food chain in the swamps.

The python's remains with the victim's tail protruding from its burst midsection were found last week. The head of the python was missing.

"Encounters like that are almost never seen in the wild... And here we are," Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

"They were probably evenly matched in size. If the python got a good grip on the alligator before the alligator got a good grip on him, he could win," Professor Mazzotti said.

He said the alligator may have clawed at the python's stomach, leading it to burst.

"Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species," Prof Mazzotti said.

He said that there had been four known encounters between the two species in the past. In the other cases, the alligator won or the battle was an apparent draw.

Burmese pythons - many of whom have been dumped by their owners - have thrived in the wet and hot climate of Florida's swamps over the past 20 years.

Guest She-Wolf
233938901995df61e22co.jpg

Thats an incredible photo. Im also reminded of a story I read about years ago where a mother came home to find a boy shaped snake in her living room. They cut open the snake and found the little boy alive. Sorry I couldnt find a photo, it was very strange sight.

Thats an incredible photo. Im also reminded of a story I read about years ago where a mother came home to find a boy shaped snake in her living room. They cut open the snake and found the little boy alive. Sorry I couldnt find a photo' date=' it was very strange sight.[/quote']

isn't that from an episode of the simpsons when milhouse gets swallowed whole by a snake?

Is that photo for real because I dont know if you get Anacondas in Australia?

A quick google indicates that the snake is most likely an olive python:

http://www.vpi.com/5VPIBreeders/OlivePython/OlivePython.htm

They eat wallabies' date=' which that is (not a kangaroo).

Here's a different sequence of snake/marcupial killing:

[url']http://www.ebaumsworld.com/snake-kangaroo.html

I watched an AMAZING thing today about a 19-Foot Crocodile that has been terrorising a village and claiming dozens of lives over a long period of time. The croc was at least 60 years old and still growing, and it was way too clever than to be caught by a heap of hippies / the army.

As for the python at the top of the page, looks like it bit off more than it could chew... ho ho ho.