aberdeen-music

Radio2 gigs at Moshulu

french_disko

Thoughts on the nights?

Wasn't impressed by KT Tunstall - not really my thing. After she played the two singles at the beginning of the set my attention wandered & I ended up leaving before she finished.

The Tears were much better. Got me nostalgic for Suede and I realised this was the first time I'd seen Brett & Bernard on stage together, despite having seen Suede twice & Bernard three times. The crowd were crap though & I felt sorry for Brett having to try to get people to cheer & clap along. Still, I enjoyed them.

The Tears

Was indeed a hard crowd but at the same time there wasn't a great deal to jump up and down about. I was never a big Suede fan but liked them from a distance. The Tears however simply lacked any tunes that stuck in the head and were a tad dull, I felt. Standing on the monitors beating your chest and shouting "it's me" will not endear you to an Aberdeen audience much I'm afraid Mr Anderson. Poor guy, and yes I did feel for him having to work so hard. Bernard Butler though, he fair knows how to play his geeeetar! I would have happily listened to him on his own all night!!!! I left early and would have done so even if I had paid. Not normally my style but I was bored. Dissapointing but great that it was all happening though!

J

The Tears

I very much enjoyed the gig and although I still think Brett Anderson needs force-fed a few fish suppers and an ego-deflation session, Bernard Butler was totally fucking brilliant and I very much wanted to smack the two hefty neds (esp the big one in the stripey top) who managed to get between me and my excellent view of him.

Lovely. Even if his hair did go a bit mental after the second song. Superb guitarist.

Thoughts on the nights?

Wasn't impressed by KT Tunstall - not really my thing. After she played the two singles at the beginning of the set my attention wandered & I ended up leaving before she finished.

If it wasnt your thing surely it would have been better to not take the tikets and leave them for omeone who would have appreciated them. I really enjoyed KT's set but found that it was practically imposible to see the small performer in a packed Moshulu.

Cheers

Stuart

The Tears are a poor mans Suede who are a poorer mans (insert shit band here)..

I was luck enough to be backstage before the concert as i was there to see Stephen Fretwell. I managed to blag my way as i found out he'd not be performing on stage but instead backstage.. Cant believe he came all the way to Aberdeen and not play infront of everyone!!!

Anyway Butler and Bret were there mincing about, and i went to speak to Butler and he was a total fud...

If it wasnt your thing surely it would have been better to not take the tikets and leave them for omeone who would have appreciated them. I really enjoyed KT's set but found that it was practically imposible to see the small performer in a packed Moshulu.

Cheers

Stuart

I was being open minded & took the oppurtunity to give something a listen that I may not bother with otherwise.

I was also with someone who owns the CD & is a fan.

Hope that's acceptable?

Apologies to any Tunstall fans that were left ticketless - it's all my blame, i'm afraid.

Guest bluesxman
I was being open minded & took the oppurtunity to give something a listen that I may not bother with otherwise.

I was also with someone who owns the CD & is a fan.

Hope that's acceptable?

Apologies to any Tunstall fans that were left ticketless - it's all my blame' date=' i'm afraid.[/quote']

You inconsiderate bastard!

I'm not getting KT at all really, kind of inoffensive safe music a la Texas to me.

I saw a bit of The Tears at TITP, wasn't impressed. But then other than a few singles I never really got into Suede either. Bernard Butlers first solo album was very good IMO.

I thought KT Tunstall was really good, not quite as good as the Jools Holland show at the Beach Ballroom the night before, but then again that was hard to beat.

She's got quite a belter of a voice, and I enjoyed her use of the "wee bastard" box recorder thing she used especially for Black Horse and the Cherry Tree. Loved the cello + double bass sounds. Think I would have enjoyed it more had I not been squished in a corner behind a speaker and between a guy with BO and some bint who kept asking me to move up so she could see KT when I clearly couldn't.

The support band - Ampop? - had me wanting to slit my wrists though... certainly wouldn't be rushing to see them again... If it weren't for the fact that most of their songs just sounded the same (depressing) I'd have probably liked them, a little variation never hurt anyone.

Guest Les Stroszek

Really liked The Tears live last night won't be rushing out to buy there album though I almost did buy Suedes singles collection in the HMV sale today. Got to be said Bretts not a good advertisment for taking drugs though. He looked very gaunt and scary. Mark Radcliff was along at the Foyer before we went along to practice and he seemed a really nice guy and gave the John Peel night gig a plug on his show we went along later which was really nice.

The Tears were superb I thought, although I hear they sound better live than they do on the album. Butler was absolutely immense. Anyway it was enough to get me to dig out Dog man Star, which was enough to make me decide to finally buy the debut too. Which I will do. Eventually.

Radcliff's a sound bloke like. I regret not saying my "I've heard he plays his frets well" pun when Stephen Fretwell came up in discussion :p

the tears are fucking cocks, having spoke to them backstage where i was seeing a far more talented artist in stephen fretwell i conclude that they are well up their own arses and dont have a clue about any new music and artists going about, mean rowan got thrown out for mentioning pete doherty, cunts, fucking big nosed, shit haired cunts

the tears are fucking cocks' date=' having spoke to them backstage where i was seeing a far more talented artist in stephen fretwell i conclude that they are well up their own arses and dont have a clue about any new music and artists going about, mean rowan got thrown out for mentioning pete doherty, cunts, fucking big nosed, shit haired cunts[/quote']

Bloody hell, is it possible for you lot to get through a conversation with someone without mentiong Doherty?

the tears are fucking cocks' date=' having spoke to them backstage where i was seeing a far more talented artist in stephen fretwell i conclude that they are well up their own arses and dont have a clue about any new music and artists going about, mean rowan got thrown out for mentioning pete doherty[/quote']

Good on them, I'd throw you out as well for mentioning that twat :D

you just mentioned him there' date=' should you be thrown out of this forum? he never even said anything offensive to the cunts, dont think its very fair[/quote']

What exactly did you say? If I was an accomplished artist who had a reputation like those two, I'd be pretty fucked off if someone was in the dressing room name dropping a junkie too..

Maybe have some consideration for the artist's ego before complaining about these things?

What exactly did you say? If I was an accomplished artist who had a reputation like those two' date=' I'd be pretty fucked off if someone was in the dressing room name dropping a junkie too..

Maybe have some consideration for the artist's ego before complaining about these things?[/quote']

I don't know if you're taking the piss but Brett Anderson was also addicted to heroin (apparently), of course he could be a born again anti-drug campaigner now for all I know.

I don't know if you're taking the piss but Brett Anderson was also addicted to heroin (apparently)' date=' of course he could be a born again anti-drug campaigner now for all I know.[/quote']

Nah, I doubt it's that, it's probably just the superiority complex that he's bound to have ;) Look at how many "reformed" characters look down on others who are suffering with problems - such as people looking down on Courtney Love for having problems, yet most of them have been there and done that themselves.

And Jim....I'm starting to get quite touched by the amount of quoting you do of my posts, do keep it up, i'm feeling important :D

I think with Doherty though, it's the fact that he's such a twat in public over the drugs - and the fact that he tends to attract complete morons for fans, something The Tears (and Brett, without a doubt) will think themselves to be above.

Anyway, surely being backstage is a privilege, not a right anyway? :)

Nah' date=' I doubt it's that, it's probably just the superiority complex that he's bound to have ;) Look at how many "reformed" characters look down on others who are suffering with problems - such as people looking down on Courtney Love for having problems, yet most of them have been there and done that themselves.

And Jim....I'm starting to get quite touched by the amount of quoting you do of my posts, do keep it up, i'm feeling important :D

I think with Doherty though, it's the fact that he's such a twat in public over the drugs - and the fact that he tends to attract complete morons for fans, something The Tears (and Brett, without a doubt) will think themselves to be above.

Anyway, surely being backstage is a privilege, not a right anyway? :)[/quote']

...... K en