aberdeen-music

No Direction Home

-matthEw-

It's BBC 4...tonight there's a doc. about Dylans heroes (Woody Guthrie, Hurricane Carter etc). On Saturday night they showed 'The Last Waltz'. Later in the week there's a concert one with people like Billy Bragg, Martin Carthy and Roy Harper doing covers.

I'm playing tonight, but should (hopefully!) be able to record both prog.s

It's BBC 4...tonight there's a doc. about Dylans heroes (Woody Guthrie' date=' Hurricane Carter etc). On Saturday night they showed 'The Last Waltz'. Later in the week there's a concert one with people like Billy Bragg, Martin Carthy and Roy Harper doing covers.

I'm playing tonight, but should (hopefully!) be able to record both prog.s[/quote']

"Masked & Anonymous" is on BBC2 at 10:10pm on Saturday night as well.

What time are you on-stage tonight, Alan? I was wanting to get your new CD from you.

Guest DustyDeviada
yeah' date=' I was going to watch it - I may just buy the DVD of it when it's released next week though. I got the CD the other week but haven't listened to it.

There's loads of Dylan stuff on BBC3 over the next few days as well.[/quote']

BBC 4 I think if we're being pedantic. Are there going to be cool extras on the DVD? Otherwise I'll just be a cheapskate and record it on my DVD recorder.

BBC 4 I think if we're being pedantic. Are there going to be cool extras on the DVD? Otherwise I'll just be a cheapskate and record it on my DVD recorder.

I'm gonna edit my post to sort my typo, you pedantic sods! :-)

anyway, the DVD has the following features according to hmv.co.uk -

Bob Dylan Performances

Blowin' In The Wind - Live On TV, March, 1963

Girl Of The North Country - From Unaired Canadian TV Special 'Quest', February, 1964

Man Of Constant Sorrow - Live On TV, March, 1964

Mr. Tambourine Man - Newport Folk Festival, 26th July, 1964

Love Minus Zero/No Limit - London, England, May 21st, 1966

Like A Rolling Stone - Live In Newcastle, England, 21st May, 1966

One Too Many Mornings - Live In Liverpool, England, 1st May, 1966

Other Features

Unused Promotional Spot For 'Positively 4th Street'

I Can't Leave You behind - Work In Progress In Hotel Room, Glasgow, 19th May, 1966

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1578155,00.html

what's on when.............

No Direction Home: Bob Dylan

Arena, BBC2, tonight and tomorrow

Martin Scorsese's two-part documentary following the rise of Robert Zimmerman. Covering the years 1961-66, the film details Dylan's journey from his hometown of Hibbing, Minnesota, to Greenwich Village, New York, boasts unseen footage from the Dylan Archives and interviews with Allen Ginsberg, Pete Seeger and Joan Baez. "For me," says Scorsese, "there is no other musical artist who weaves his influences so densely to create something so personal and unique."

Bob Dylan, No Direction Home: The Soundtrack

Along with key Dylan tracks, this double-CD album brims with rare and unreleased material, including a recording by a high-school friend, a cover of Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land, and a fuzzy When I Got Troubles from 1959 - believed to be the first song Bob ever put to tape.

Talking Bob Dylan Blues, the Barbican, tonight

An evening of Dylan covers and songs inspired by the great man, performed by Willy Mason, Razorlight, Billy Bragg, Martin Carthy and others.

Dylan Season, BBC4, September 24-30

A run of Dylan-flavoured programmes: The Last Waltz, Scorsese's film of the Band's farewell concert in 1976; Arena: Dylan in the Madhouse, documenting Dylan's first visit to Britain in 1962, when he also appeared in a BBC play; Arena: Dylan's Legends, a roll-call of Dylan's heroes, from Woody Guthrie to Lenny Bruce via Rubin "Hurricane" Carter; Arena: Highway 61 Revisited, an exploration of the road running southwards from Dylan's home town, which inspired one of Dylan's finest records; Storyville: Don't Look Back, a portrait of Dylan and co touring Britain in 1965; a recording of this week's Talking Bob Dylan Blues event at the Barbican; ( ... ) Sings Dylan, Dylan covers as sung by artists from Lulu to the Byrds. Something of a curate's egg, one expects.

The Official Bob Dylan Exhibition at the Proud Gallery, London, until October 15

A collection of early, mainly black and white photographs of Dylan, providing an intimate portrait of the man: from studio shots as he recorded Highway 61 Revisited, to playing a piano at his Woodstock house.

Chronicles: Volume I, Radio 2, starting October 7

Sean Penn reads an abridged version of Bob's autobiography.

Chronicles: Volume I, out in paperback

The bestselling memoir, which spent 19 weeks on the New York Times Hardcover Non-Fiction Bestseller list.

The Bob Dylan Scrapbook: An American Journey, 1956-1966 (Simon & Schuster)

Compiled with the help of Mr Dylan himself, this plush scrapbook documents his early years, with rare photographs, handwritten lyrics, concert programmes and tickets, documents and a CD holding interviews and live performances.

Dylan's UK tour begins, November

Dylan returns to Blighty for a tour that will encompass Nottingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and London.

Guest DustyDeviada
ps I've sung onstage with someone who beat Bob Dylan in a talent competition when they were both a LOT younger!!!!!!!

I'm assuming it was a singing competition, rather than songwriting. ;)

Guest DustyDeviada
Did anyone else just see them recreate the Subterranean Homesick Blues video on a Newsnight piece about the Labour Party confrence?

No, thank god. That sounds terrible.

Great doc though. At first I found it a bit wierd seeing Dylan talking about himself after all these years of being an enigma. But I soon stopped worrying about that and got into it.

Never quite sure when Bob was taking the piss and not though.

Guest DustyDeviada
He has dedication' date=' and dedications what you need if you wanna be a record breaker... Plus, I've told him to go out and buy bringing it all back home, highway 61 revisited and Blonde on Blonde pronto.[/quote']

Don't forget Blood on the Tracks.