aberdeen-music

Platform 19

Marillionboy

The place downstairs at the back of the station was called Platform 9. I think there was some connection with the ASC drinking there before journeying on the train to away matches. There is also a door on Guild Steet, right next to the rear of the Trinity Centre, and built into the Station Hotel that is titled "Platform One". Are these both the same place?

Also - please refresh my memory but what happened to the Glouster Hotel - I can't think what's there now? Does the Victoria Cafe still exist?

Also - please refresh my memory but what happened to the Glouster Hotel - I can't think what's there now? Does the Victoria Cafe still exist?

Victoria Cafe is still there, between (and above) Fopp and the Jewellers. The Gloucester was next to the Correction Wynd steps, from what is now the leather jacket shop down to about the vodafone shop or so. The actual entrance is now an estate agents I think.

• 6 years later...

Hi Alan Cynic..:o)),

Just to keep everyone correct on the Band, Sawtooth Beaver....they didn't change their name, the band actually split up....and Ray and Trina Campbell formed "Hand Maid" and Ross Donald formed "Airthight"...both of which were Great Bands !!.

I used to play Bass with Sawtooth, and I went on to play with "Club" bands. I now live in North Carolina in the US, and I'm playing with some Really Good musicians in the Charlotte area !!!...never had so much fun before !!...:o))..it's GREAT !!..:o))

• 3 weeks later...

Old thread or not, i'm sure this place IS connected to the Station Hotel, my judgement being based purely on coming down those stairs one day and the door was open and Ted Hankey the vampire affiliated darts player was stood having a tab with a heap of folk. Pretty sure the Station hosts darts things.

I feel another 'oldies' reminiscing thread a-coming on. Did anybody go to the gigs upstairs in the Gloucester Hotel on Union St.....they used to have the Alternative Festival club there sometimes? I recall 2 brilliant ones....Leon Rosselson and John Otway (who practically demolished the place!) :rockon:

Yes, I remember that place - Had a few majorly blasted nights in there at the time! :D

The Gloucester Hotel also played a role in this bit of wartime derring-do. I remember being told the full story once but it escapes me just now. Old.... Age....! :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage

Also remember geting measured for new trousers by the rather "friendly" young gent in the clothes shop just by the Gloucester's door. Never again! :eek:

used to be a particularly dodgy pub i think.

It became that certainly - Used to be very popular with underagers back in the days of the Radar's "Creche"

However the place did start out with intentions of being a more upmarket small music venue - I remember a there was fair number of Jazz bands and piano nights before it took-in other bands, then kids.

IIRC it was connected with the Station Hotel when they used the entire block but when half the place was mothballed (late 80s/early 90s?), then converted to studio space it was more or less cut-off then closed. One memory of that place was passing by one night and seeing two thirteen year olds (and one of them really did look it) I worked with at the time being ejected, horizontally and steaming drunk and the smaller/younger looking of them got straight back-up and laid into one of the bouncers. - Time to walk-on! :eek:

Shut and left to rot for several years then converted to offices I think - It was pretty much the entire block of Union St between St Nicholas Cemetry and the bank on the corner of St Nicholas St. Where Eduardo's leathers and the line of phone shops/timpsons are. There was a small lobby at street level but you went up to the big long lounge on the first floor for the music/club happenings.

Old thread or not, i'm sure this place IS connected to the Station Hotel, my judgement being based purely on coming down those stairs one day and the door was open and Ted Hankey the vampire affiliated darts player was stood having a tab with a heap of folk. Pretty sure the Station hosts darts things.

It hosts the Granite City Open every year.