aberdeen-music

Platform 19

Marillionboy

Something that's bugged me for years.

When you takle the horribly steep steps from the Trinity Centre to the train station you pass this door with the name Platform 19 on it. The walls around it used to be entirely covered in arty graffitti, but is/ was this place a club or soemthing? What is it? Never seen a sign of life there and it's a pretty weird place for a venue!

Guest Laura@TMB

I was in it a couple of times in the late 80s or early 90s, both times to see bands which friends played in. Can't remember too much about it, other than it was a pub :help:

Thought at the time it was part of/ run by the Station Hotel, but probably not. Maybe some of the other "golden-oldies" on here can help me refresh my fading memory!

Guest Laura@TMB

Phew, thanks Alan, my senile dementia isn't as advanced as I originally thought :cheers:

Not sure if it's part of the Hotel's restaurant, but seems likely. Seem to remember there being access through into the hotel when it was a pub, so highly probable. Will check it out next time I'm passing. Can you remember which bands you saw there? I haven't got a ghosters who I saw ( & I think I was going out with someone from one of them at the time :sleeping::p ) - oops !

Guest Laura@TMB
I think it was a band called 'Sawtooth Beaver'' date=' although it might have been after they changed their name to 'Tibetan Blue' or something similar.[/quote']

Christ, you've got a good memory! Never heard of them mind you ;). I seem to remember the pub itself being a carpeted place, a bit like downstairs at the Malt Mill, but smaller and without the bit to the side, with the bar facing you as you came in the door?

Anyway Marillionboy - first edition signed copy of your novel pretty please :D

*depression sets in, as Alan Cynic realises when he dies all these memories will be lost. No-one will ever hear of the Zorg spaceships massing over Orion (or whatever it was that Rutger Hauer was babbling on about!)*

sob ;(

I know it's not the place to ask if anyone else saw Will Starr at the Tivoli in the mid 60s. I will finally do my Will Starr tribute at the Aberfeldy gig on Monday, along with my Philip Johnston death song, in which Dr Drakes gets a mention. More sobs ;(

I feel another 'oldies' reminiscing thread a-coming on. Did anybody go to the gigs upstairs in the Gloucester Hotel on Union St.....they used to have the Alternative Festival club there sometimes? I recall 2 brilliant ones....Leon Rosselson and John Otway (who practically demolished the place!) :rockon:

Saw the early Oyster Band there, not much else.........

You've got me on that one. I remember where the Gloucester Hotel was' date=' but if it was pre 1985 (?), then I wasn't living here then.[/quote']

It must have been after 1985, I'm sure I went to a few Alternative Festival club nights there, and played at one of them I think. I definitely remember one Festival when I went to see Phil Guy (Buddy's brother) at The Venue, and spoke to him after the gig. Me and a mate then walked him up to the Gloucester for the Club night and the bouncers let Phil in, but not me and my mate. Phil then turned round and in his Southern drawl said "Hey man, you gotta let them in, they're my apprentices to the blues..."