aberdeen-music

New song

Guest AmbientMood

I really do think you were presenting yourself well' date=' I mean - we were having a discussion, it's not got personal and its an expression of both our opinions. I mean, this is a rare thing on A-M, a calm discussion on Mood's piece of music. Ok, we disagree - but that's fair enough.

I really did think you to be a fairly well-spoken and valid person, until that is this utter gobshite remark came forth from your fingers:

I mean, have I read something incorrectly? This comment has completely voided your whole argument, and nullified your entire opinion exhaustively.

I henceforth demand that you retract this statement and apologise. If you do not, then you lose all respect that I, and anyone else who reads it may harbour for you/

We are sub-Iron Maiden metal? Are you serious? Have you even heard us and/or Iron Maiden?

Fucking ridiculous mate.

We are nothing like Iron Maiden, at all - not one song bears any resemblance at all to Iron Maiden. Even people who truly despise me and Ascension will agree with that point, simply because they are not completely retarded.

You, however, break the mould - and set a new low standard of intellectual diarrhoea.[/quote']

I think you have read it incorrectly: I didn't say Ascension sounded like Iron Maiden, but that I thought you were poorer than they were. (And I consider Iron Maiden rather poor.) Having said that, I do think that there is some resemblance; Ascension are about the same level of heaviness as Maiden, and also share the same love of soloing.

Whilst I respect that you disagree with me, and even appreciate it (life's boring when everyone agrees), I refuse to retract that particular remark, and I contest your right to demand I retract it. Sure, you might not agree with it, but that doesn't render it any less valid an opinion. As for losing the respect of you and anyone else who reads that particular remark, I'm willing to take the risk, but thanks for caring.

As for your statement advising AmbientMood to take up classical piano lest he leave no lasting contribution to music, it's looking even more ill-advised since he posted his CV.

i didnt like it' date=' but i appriciate that you have tried to do something thats unusual, and i applaude you for that. at least its not 3 chord punk. this is not my style of music, and i generaly found it lacking in melody and boering to the ear. im not here to offend you or start an argument, thats just my honest opinion.

but if you are going to post your song on this forum, realise that you are gonna have to sit back and take all that is said with a smile.[/quote']

To my mind, this is the kind of comment that is valid; Gregor Ascension makes no bones about the fact that he doesn't like it at all, but can still remain constructive and doesn't fall back on denoucing it as "just a horrible noise" that's "simply polluting the internet", implying an objective superiority in music taste.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the most valid and intelligent "not my thing" post on the thread.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have read it incorrectly: I didn't say Ascension sounded like Iron Maiden' date=' but that I thought you were poorer than they were. (And I consider Iron Maiden rather poor.) Having said that, I do think that there is some resemblance; Ascension are about the same level of heaviness as Maiden, and also share the same love of soloing.

Whilst I respect that you disagree with me, and even appreciate it (life's boring when everyone agrees), I refuse to retract that particular remark, and I contest your right to demand I retract it. Sure, you might not agree with it, but that doesn't render it any less valid an opinion. As for losing the respect of you and anyone else who reads that particular remark, I'm willing to take the risk, but thanks for caring.

As for your statement advising [b']AmbientMood to take up classical piano lest he leave no lasting contribution to music, it's looking even more ill-advised since he posted his CV.

To my mind, this is the kind of comment that is valid; Gregor Ascension makes no bones about the fact that he doesn't like it at all, but can still remain constructive and doesn't fall back on denoucing it as "just a horrible noise" that's "simply polluting the internet", implying an objective superiority in music taste.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the most valid and intelligent "not my thing" post on the thread.

I'm going to have to stick up for Doc & Ascension here. The very fact you mention the two bands in the same sentence implies that you consider the two bands to be similar. Whether by implication or not, it's still quite apparent that a comparison is being made, and an ignorant one at that. Looks to me like you've thought to yourself: "Hmm, well they both have electric Guitars, they both play solos ..... so they obviously both follow the same formula......." (I mean would you say that Guns N' Roses are similar to Bon Jovi? I mean they both have Guitars and Guitar solos!) Ascension are heavier, Ascension's tunes seem to me to be more focussed on heavy and speedy rhythms opposed to the dual harmonies and duets that Iron Maiden more commonly used. I'd be more inclined to say they nod towards the likes of Hammerfall. In short, you just come across as some jumped up, smug, pseudo-intellectualist prick....

Andy

Guest AmbientMood
I'd be more inclined to say they nod towards the likes of Hammerfall.

Andy

One of my previous posts in the thread covers that.

I mean would you say that Guns N' Roses are similar to Bon Jovi?

For two seconds try and believe that there are other types of music out there. In fact just picture the infinitely vast originality possibilities. In this context, yes, I do believe Bon Jovi are very similar to Guns n Roses.

yeah there are other types of music out ambeintmoon and you seem hellbent on slaggin them, i mean jazz yeah ok if your good at fair doos the rest of the time it guys wankin with there guitar,horn etc my mate bug tried to get me in to jazz once but i couldnt get my head round it give me the blues or classical anyday

i didnt mind your track that much as i said before and good on ya doin it but you need to also realise that there are people out there that dont like what you like does that mean they have bad tastes no i dont think so

you hear all this shit from people sayin "support your local bands etc"now does that mean that you only have to support the bands that are popular, i dont think so, then you hear people say that aberdeen has a shit music scene, well i remeber when the dawntreaders(ace)and the lorelei and korpse amongst others were kickin about and the scene was well good back then,i mean bands got on and played with each other and shit i would like to bury the hatchet with ambeintmood and any one else that i or s.o.m have pissed off or whatever and would like to be part of gettin aberdeens music scene back to what it used to be,now that may sound a bunch of shit(i have had a few)but hey why cant we all just get along (hehe how gay does that sound)

Guest AmbientMood
yeah there are other types of music out ambeintmoon and you seem hellbent on slaggin them' date=' i mean jazz yeah ok if your good at fair doos the rest of the time it guys wankin with there guitar,horn etc my mate bug tried to get me in to jazz once but i couldnt get my head round it give me the blues or classical anyday

i didnt mind your track that much as i said before and good on ya doin it but you need to also realise that there are people out there that dont like what you like does that mean they have bad tastes no i dont think so

you hear all this shit from people sayin "support your local bands etc"now does that mean that you only have to support the bands that are popular, i dont think so, then you hear people say that aberdeen has a shit music scene, well i remeber when the dawntreaders(ace)and the lorelei and korpse amongst others were kickin about and the scene was well good back then,i mean bands got on and played with each other and shit i would like to bury the hatchet with ambeintmood and any one else that i or s.o.m have pissed off or whatever and would like to be part of gettin aberdeens music scene back to what it used to be,now that may sound a bunch of shit(i have had a few)but hey why cant we all just get along (hehe how gay does that sound)[/quote']

Wow thats dynamite.

Guest Steve Irwin
anyway' date=' nothing detracts from the fact that SOM rule uber alles.

"oh blah blah, ego maniac in a hummina hummina."

sorry folks, its true :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

:band: love,

som[/quote']

joking or not, i would like to point out that i still think you are a bunch of clowns

maybe your mates and bands who you play with "like" your music but jeeesus christ you are terrible, you are cringeworthy! im sorry but this guys music is far more interesting, thought provoking and enjoyable than that turgid pile of nonsense that you call legs wide open

due to this your opinion is void and null

why not bury the vendetta?? the guy didnt liek your music, why slag him off?

yes i edited that out after i posted it as i thought it might upset you' date=' i was reffering to you as mr iron maiden because of the last post, but after reading your post in reply to that one I took it out, i completely understand it is your opinion, my obvious mistake if i misread your comment, im not meaning to upset anyone so i fully apologise if i have offended you in anyway doc :)[/quote']

good man, *handshake*

hatchet = buried.

To me' date=' you sound like Iron Maiden. Metal fans I'm sure could distinguish a thousand groups within your sound, but to anyone else, Cling-ons are just as scary as orcs, so don't be offended as we are simply ignorant to your fad.[/quote']

Ok Captain Contradiction, work this out:

*RE Hammerfall* One of my previous posts in the thread covers that.

For two seconds try and believe that there are other types of music out there. In fact just picture the infinitely vast originality possibilities. In this context' date=' yes, I do believe Bon Jovi are very similar to Guns n Roses.[/quote']

You say that we just sound like Iron Maiden, yet here you also say you thought our style was quite similar to Hammerfall?

Now it's blatant that your first comment was just posted because you wanted to be a dickhead - you have slipped up and showed that you have knowledge of Power Metal and this "fad" so claiming to be ignorant to it just shows you to be a twat. And you would be quite correct in comparing us to Hammerfall, we are a little influenced by them, being one of the major bands in the Euro-Power Metal scene.

And for the record, I didn't start the arguing, how can a post that begins "in my opinion" be deemed argumentative? It was the replies to that post that were argumentative.

I'm going to have to stick up for Doc & Ascension here. The very fact you mention the two bands in the same sentence implies that you consider the two bands to be similar. Whether by implication or not' date=' it's still quite apparent that a comparison is being made, and an ignorant one at that. Looks to me like you've thought to yourself: "Hmm, well they both have electric Guitars, they both play solos ..... so they obviously both follow the same formula......." (I mean would you say that Guns N' Roses are similar to Bon Jovi? I mean they both have Guitars and Guitar solos!) Ascension are heavier, Ascension's tunes seem to me to be more focussed on heavy and speedy rhythms opposed to the dual harmonies and duets that Iron Maiden more commonly used. I'd be more inclined to say they nod towards the likes of Hammerfall. In short, you just come across as some jumped up, smug, pseudo-intellectualist prick....[/quote']

I'll admit I'm ignorant of the myriad genres of metal that abound today, but, to my ears, Ascension sound Maidenish. Granted, you'll now accuse me of having defective ears, but that's how they come across to me. (As for sounding more like Hammerfall, I'm unable to agree or disagree with that, as I've never heard them.) And yes, to me, Bon Jovi and GNR are very similarmerely differing outcomes of the same genre.

To be honest, I didn't listen to the tracks more than once apiece, and I went with my first impression of them, which was that they were derivative and pretty poor overall. Sure, you might think they're fantastic, but I don't, and I certainly don't think they're a solid foundation from which Doc Ascension can launch self-righteous (and frankly ludicrous) tirades against AmbientMood.

Guest AmbientMood
Ok Captain Contradiction' date=' work this out:

You say that we just sound like Iron Maiden, yet here you also say you thought our style was quite similar to Hammerfall?

Now it's blatant that your first comment was just posted because you wanted to be a dickhead - you have slipped up and showed that you have knowledge of Power Metal and this "fad" so claiming to be ignorant to it just shows you to be a twat. And you would be quite correct in comparing us to Hammerfall, we are a little influenced by them, being one of the major bands in the Euro-Power Metal scene.

And for the record, I didn't start the arguing, how can a post that begins "in my opinion" be deemed argumentative? It was the replies to that post that were argumentative.[/quote']

I'm sorry, who are Hammerfall? where do I compare this band to you? I've slipped up?

joking or not' date=' i would like to point out that i still think you are a [b']bunch of clowns

maybe your mates and bands dont bum each other, but me 'n ambient mood do.

due to this your opinion is void and null and ace and correct

why not bury the vendetta?? is it coz your too ace? yes i think so. the guy didnt liek your music, why slag him off? oh yeah, coz he took about 3 pages up on your forum rippng on you guys for no reason.

you guys are stoopid, their gonna be lookin for army guys.

whatever, i just love that song. know why? coz its ace. better than this one thats for fucking sure.

...and I certainly don't think they're a solid foundation from which Doc Ascension can launch self-righteous (and frankly ludicrous) tirades against AmbientMood.

Actually mate, this has nothing to do with Ascension mp3s. Absolutely nothing, it doesn't matter if I have any foundation or whatever.

The point is, Ambient Mood asked for opinions on his music, if you didn't want it - don't fucking ask. Believe me, I know how it feels - see our mp3 post for details - except people were being dicks simply because they don't like us and have some sort of grudge.

I don't know Ambient, and I don't care, all I know is that I think his music sucks a big one.

You slagged someone else off for attacking Ambient's music because he had trashed their own mp3s - so why don't you shut up yourself. This is only about Ambient's music, leave it that way Seargent Contradiction.

Actually mate' date=' this has nothing to do with Ascension mp3s. Absolutely nothing, it doesn't matter if I have any foundation or whatever.

The point is, Ambient Mood asked for opinions on his music, if you didn't want it - don't fucking ask. Believe me, I know how it feels - see our mp3 post for details - except people were being dicks simply because they don't like us and have some sort of grudge.

I don't know Ambient, and I don't care, all I know is that I think his music sucks a big one.

You slagged someone else off for attacking Ambient's music because he had trashed their own mp3s - so why don't you shut up yourself. This is only about Ambient's music, leave it that way Seargent Contradiction.[/quote']

I brought Ascension's MP3s into because you were making ludicrously arrogant statements"Why don't you use your keyboard and take up classical piano so that you can contribute to the music of the world instead of being a skidmark on the underpants of it?"and I felt that I should remind you that you're not infallible either. As it stands, your first post implies that you are worthy of judging AmbientMood's music because you have made a valid and weighty contribution to music as a whole; I felt that this was complete nonsense, and pointed this out, providing my reasons for doing so. If you don't like this, then you should put me on Ignore. That way, my hurtful comments won't appear in threads when you look at them.

On the AmbientMood/Hammerfall subject: if you actually bothered to read the thread properly, you'd realise that what AmbientMood actually said is, "To me, you sound like Iron Maiden. Metal fans I'm sure could distinguish a thousand groups within your sound, but to anyone else, Cling-ons are just as scary as orcs, so don't be offended as we are simply ignorant to your fad." Read carefully and you're bound to eventually realise what it actually means.