aberdeen-music

CBGBs Under Threat Again

french_disko

Guest DustyDeviada

Having had the pleasure of taking in one of the wildest, most rock n' roll nights I have ever experienced there with Alan Cynic in July, I for one will be backing any campaign to ensure it stays open.

The problem is that their rent is $19,000 per month. That's 10,313! This is for a place that's only slightly more spaceous than The Moorings. They would have to sell approx 700 worth of alcohol a day, or in the region of 5,000 per month just to pay the rent. That doesn't take account of their staffing costs, taxes, booking fees, heat, light, power, insurances, maintenance (ho ho ho), and everything else that's associated with running an establishment of this sort.

I'd say they'd done well staying open this long. Quite frankly that's mission impossible. In order to make any money they have to be operating at close to capacity all the time.

IMO the city of New York should buy the building from the landlord and gift it to the club as an award for services to global culture. But fat chance of that.

Kind of amazing that the rent is so high in such a skanky area. How come other local bars seem to survive?

That's the problem with leasing. There is always an upwards only review clause and this is always worded in such a way to slightly outpace inflation and market conditions. Over a long period of time this enables the landlord to screw the leaseholder by gradually cranking the rent out of all proportion. The leaseholder is then forced to find a way to pay, move, or close down. Thirty two years is a very long time, and this is a very good example of that phenomenon. This landlord reallty has been milking the golden cow for all it's worth.

The other bars have probably all changed hands several times, and thus their rent has been rebased back to normality, or never even had a chance to grow beyond it in the first place. Also the landlord will be more likely to crank the rent hard if it suspects the place is busy, or it looks like it's in any danger of making money. Lot's of decent places have been forced to close for this reason; the operator working long and hard to build up a jumping trade only to be forced to hand all their hard won spoils over to a greedy landlord.

My suggestion was that the city buy the building and gift it to the club, not that the city buy the club.

The problem is that their rent is $19' date='000 per month. That's 10,313! This is for a place that's only slightly more spaceous than The Moorings. They would have to sell approx 700 worth of alcohol a day, or in the region of 5,000 per month just to pay the rent. That doesn't take account of their staffing costs, taxes, booking fees, heat, light, power, insurances, maintenance (ho ho ho), and everything else that's associated with running an establishment of this sort.

I'd say they'd done well staying open this long. Quite frankly that's mission impossible. In order to make any money they have to be operating at close to capacity all the time.

IMO the city of New York should buy the building from the landlord and gift it to the club as an award for services to global culture. But fat chance of that.[/quote']

All too familiar. Think I'll pop over and tell em how its done! :D