aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Skateboarder carpark fall death

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The council could build an amazing facility, make it free of charge and people would still skate in places like the BT car park - so why bother wasting the time building a facility?

In my opinion, best thing the council and police could do would be to do precisely nothing - it was an accident, accidents happen, end of story. It wouldn't surprise me if the council ban skating up there though - not because they're cunts, but simply because the HSE will be all over them if there's another accident.

The council could build an amazing facility' date=' make it free of charge and people would still skate in places like the BT car park - so why bother wasting the time building a facility?

In my opinion, best thing the council and police could do would be to do precisely nothing - it was an accident, accidents happen, end of story. It wouldn't surprise me if the council ban skating up there though - not because they're cunts, but simply because the HSE will be all over them if there's another accident.[/quote']

My sentiments exactly.

I disagree, building a skatepark would not be a waste, at present there are precious little places for skaters to go, it would certainly serve them. Yer they might still use the carpark, but it would certainly solve some of the problems caused after the bans from Broad st and St Nicholas centre, which while neccessary created new problems of forcing skaters to find new places to go.

i'd just like to point out that it wasn't sean skateboarding that caused the accident. although to be fair people wouldn't have been there if no one skated there. i used to skate there myself and there is no danger of falling off the wall when skating, unless you're a bit mental and try to do stuff off the wall.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
yeah like the large brush area between the seaton highrises and the beach.

Don't you mean underneath the high rises?

joking.

well...........

Actually yeah, I am.

I have to agree with rachie and hardcore mels points. To build something in a deserted stretch of land would be perfect and thats what the working group meetings with the council have been trying to do. We have been trying to get something like this for years and were getting so close, we just need to not let something like this, however tragic, be turned into a negative against skateboarding. In response to clouds message you should take into consideration what was said earlier about having a place to skate all year round. Although we may still skate the streets occasionally a good skating facility would be a place we were allowed to skate without being moved on or abused by the public and if the park is done properly would reduce the number of skaters in the centre.

If anyone is looking to help out with supporting a skate park or the aberdeen skate scene then drop me a message letting me know your support. If you cant get a message through to me in here than you can e-mail me on rubbits_2001@hotmail.com.

A short note just to finalise things with Lester Burnham saying that i can understand where you are coming from with your comments and i really dont want to cause dispute between us so i am just going to say that all my points made in relation to this point have been made already and that is simply my opinion on the matter.

Thanks again

Jon

Thing is, you've already made the point about the cost of getting to use a skatepark, is charging 5 a shot really viable in the long run? If a facility was to built, it might make more sense to offer unlimited passes - say...hmm, 30-40 a month for unlimited use? Then again, I'm not in opposition to one being built - but the council will be well aware that any facility needs to be self supporting, especially considering the opposition such a project would have from the "taxpayers".

In all honesty, is there the demand for a park? The council's already shown that they can't make the ski slope at Garthdee work, so what's to say that a purpose built skatepark will?

Because there's more demand for a skatepark than there is for a dry ski slope cloud you bloody tool - you don't see misunderstood skiers trying to use Windmill brae as a piste do you?

EDIT:

The ski-slope at Garthdee isn't not working because there isn't demand for it, it's not working because to use the new Alpine slope you have to have reached a certain level, to use the older dry slope to get to that level you need to pay for lessons, because they won't just let you practise on your own, lessons are quite expensive - ergo the Ski slope is out of use.

Make the skatepark a non-profit facility, so that kids can afford to use it, and you may have a chance at solving the problem of skaters in town.

Because there's more demand for a skatepark than there is for a dry ski slope cloud you bloody tool - you don't see misunderstood skiers trying to use Windmill brae as a piste do you?

EDIT:

The ski-slope at Garthdee isn't not working because there isn't demand for it' date=' it's not working because to use the new Alpine slope you have to have reached a certain level, to use the older dry slope to get to that level you need to pay for lessons, because they won't just let you practise on your own, lessons are quite expensive - ergo the Ski slope is out of use.

Make the skatepark a non-profit facility, so that kids can afford to use it, and you may have a chance at solving the problem of skaters in town.[/color']

don't get me started on the dryslope.

bottom line is the council can't run anything.

no much wonder they're losing money if they close the dryslope in the evenings during the school holidays, what do people with jobs do??

also, this thread was supposed to be about sean but it's just turned into a debate about the council, skating, etc

Guest pop-notmyface

the way that i see it (without having read the article yet) is that this is a major blow for aberdeens skate "scene" (i know because i do).

someone gets killed then people jump on the "enforce the skateboarding ban" in aberdeen. this will have a major impact on where we get to skate. the council who owns the car park will probably ban it completely for obvious safety reasons. and others may follow. sucks man.

don't get me started on the dryslope.

bottom line is the council can't run anything.

no much wonder they're losing money if they close the dryslope in the evenings during the school holidays' date=' what do people with jobs do??

also, this thread was supposed to be about sean but it's just turned into a debate about the council, skating, etc[/quote']

You're right, and it really is very sad what happened. Unfortunately a debate is exactly what is going to arise from a tragedy such as this, in the papers, within the council, amongst the public. The way I see it this did not arise from folk skating up there, it was a horrible accident, and from the sounds of it due to the lack of fencing etc there would be nothing to stop someone throwing themselves off the top anyway, skating or no skating.

the way that i see it (without having read the article yet) is that this is a major blow for aberdeens skate "scene" (i know because i do).

someone gets killed then people jump on the "enforce the skateboarding ban" in aberdeen. this will have a major impact on where we get to skate. the council who owns the car park will probably ban it completely for obvious safety reasons. and others may follow. sucks man.

Did the council not sell the car park to the people behind the propsed new railway/bus station shopping centre thing?

Guest pop-notmyface
Did the council not sell the car park to the people behind the propsed new railway/bus station shopping centre thing?

possibly. either way, companies dont want people dying on their property. in general.

for the people who say skateparks arent used or are a waste... i worked at the one a few years ago that was down at the beach for the jesus revolution and it was always really busy. if the coucil build one...people will use it.

the one at the beach was only a temp one, and the council wanted money for the land being used. they did try and find someone to move it too like a hall somewhere cause it took soo long to build (and i helped :-D) but no where was found. i dont think. it was a watse

EDIT:

The ski-slope at Garthdee isn't not working because there isn't demand for it' date=' it's not working because to use the new Alpine slope you have to have reached a certain level, to use the older dry slope to get to that level you need to pay for lessons, because they won't just let you practise on your own, lessons are quite expensive - ergo the Ski slope is out of use.

Make the skatepark a non-profit facility, so that kids can afford to use it, and you may have a chance at solving the problem of skaters in town.[/color']

Just thinking here...

rates for an indoor facility - 50k+

staffing costs - even with a barebone 4 staff members and a manager, you'd be looking at little change from 100k

rental of the bulding - say 50k

even with just those costs, you're looking at 200k a year to run the facility on an on going basis. Works out at around 3850 a week to keep the place operationally going, so let's go from there and assume 4 for as long as you want in the day. Works out at 962 visitors through the door, so let's say 1000 for the sake of argument. 1000 people a week through the door equals roughly 150 people through the door per day, every day.

That's without the cost of building and equipping the facility, bank loans, etc. I have no idea what kind of figure to assume for that so I won't.

You see what I'm saying about demand now? I really don't think there is - probably to turn a profit,, you'd be looking at around 250-300 people per day using the facility.

I'm of the belief that if it was commercially viable to open a skatepark, one would've opened by now.

edit : if the skaters reckon it would be successful, why don't they go ahead and open one themselves? trying to get the council to spend money isn't gonna happen unless it wins them votes, is it?

Guest neil ex

As far as I'm aware, skating on the streets AND skating at a proper skate park both appeal to skaters. They are different things, and the addition of a skate park won't stop some people skating on the streets.

However, there doesn't appear to be any problem whatsoever with skaters in and around the city centre (I can see the appeal with skating on the streets) - I very rarely see them anyway! Skaters should be given a skate park not becase there is a problem but because a lot of skaters want one.

By the sounds of things this death was alcohol related, not skate realted. Tragic as it is.

As far as I'm aware' date=' skating on the streets AND skating at a proper skate park both appeal to skaters. They are different things, and the addition of a skate park won't stop some people skating on the streets.

However, there doesn't appear to be any problem whatsoever with skaters in and around the city centre (I can see the appeal with skating on the streets) - I very rarely see them anyway! Skaters should be given a skate park not becase there is a problem but because a lot of skaters want one. [/quote']

That's exactly my point, once you count out the people who won't use a skate park on principle (and yes, there will be some people...you can't expect something based on anti-authority to suddenly all comply - especially once they get banned from doing risky things at the park, etc) - how many people are left that will use the skatepark and use it on a regular basis? I just don't think the demand is there - people will want different things out of the park, if it's not good enough they'll go back to the street, etc etc. It might be ridiculously busy for the honeymoon period, but after that, I reckon any decent facility would struggle to cope up here. Of course, the council could subsidise it - but at the end of the day, are they going to invest in anything that could be viewed as "a waste of money"?

I don't think there's a problem either, let them keep continuing to use the BT car park for all I really care.

By the sounds of things this death was alcohol related, not skate realted. Tragic as it is.

That may just be the determining factor when it comes to the future of allowing skating in the street - put yourself in the shoes of the councillors, are they going to want more blood on their hands by tolerating drinking in what is essentially a public place?