aberdeen-music

Mercury Shortlist 2005

Larsen B

I've got most of the albums on that shortlist (I'm missing MIA and Polar Bear' date=' so I can't comment on them), and the Anthony record is one of the few that bears repeat listening. Maximo Park, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard Fi and Magic Numbers all have good songs on them (well, maybe not Hard-Fi and the Magic Numbers:P) but they are all flawed pieces of work in that they follow the typical pop album format-the singles, a couple of live favourites, and some quite frankly poor filler tracks. The Anthony record is the most complete and fulfilling single piece of work on that shortlist. That's why it deserved to win.[/quote']

In your opinion. I personally like the Bloc Party album, the others i agree with. But i don't think the Anthony record is the most 'complete' album on the list. To my ears it sounds like all filler, no killer.

Are you sure you weren't judging the Mercury Music this year......(j/k)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You love it really Neil :D

Also' date=' for the record i dislike Kaiser Chiefs with a passion. They grip my poop shoot. I hate their lyrics, though they do right catchy choruses and uptempo songs which explains why a lot of people with musically short attention spans would love 'em.

:D[/quote']

What, in your opinion, do you think should have won?

Do you not like the A&tJ cd or do you think someone else was more deserving?

There's been a few posts today that haven't really been objective - poeple just seem to dislike Antony rather than think that another artist was more deserving.

Personally, I'm glad he won - and I had a sneaking suspiscion he was going to - as it's upset people a bit.

Oh, and I'd love to hear someone's opinion on why the Kaiser Cheifs should have won - that would be pretty funny.

You love it really Neil :D

Also' date=' for the record i dislike Kaiser Chiefs with a passion. They grip my poop shoot. I hate their lyrics, though they do right catchy choruses and uptempo songs which explains why a lot of people with musically short attention spans would love 'em.

:D[/quote']

Musical attention spans - interesting point there. The Kaiser Chiefs are so popular because blockheads are too thick to remember that every song has the same chorus/buildup as the previous one. The man on the street is too busy scratching his arse and eating pork scratchings to notice

I wasn't...this year. One day' date=' though.

It's my opinion, sure. But I think if you look at the judging panel you'll see it's made up of a mix of people from within the industry who are looking for something genuinely exciting and interesting that will stand the test of time. Anthony will probably be around for years to come, garnering critical acclaim and maintaining a loyal fanbase. Can you seriously imagine Hard Fi or Maximo Park doing the same?[/quote']

Yeh, i totally agree with the last point, and thats great if they are judging on musical longevity. Though i'm sure thats not the case in this situation. I'm sure that as Larsen B said it was given to a less popular band this year as it was given to a popular band last year. So the Mercury folks wanted it to look like they were trying to reclaim some sort of musical credibility.

As i said before i'd love to see how they decided who won.

Just to add to the "debate" and to put A&tJ's win into context, here's a list of every album nominateed for the Mercury Music Prize with the winner's indicated -

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand WINNER

Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash

Belle And Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

Jamelia - Thank You

Keane - Hopes And Fears

Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

Ty - Upwards

Amy Winehouse - Frank

Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland

The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner WINNER

Athlete - Vehicles and Animals

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

The Darkness - Permission to Land

Floetry - Floetic

Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief

The Thrills - So Much For The City

Martina Topley-Bird - Quixotic

Terri Walker - Untitled

Ms. Dynamite - A Little Deeper WINNER

Guy Barker - Soundtrack

The Bees - Sunshine Hit Me

David Bowie - Heathen

The Coral - The Coral

Doves - The Last Broadcast

Electric Soft Parade - Holes In The Wall

Gemma Hayes - Night On My Side

Beverley Knight - Who I Am

Joanna MacGregor - Play

Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me

The Streets - Original Pirate Material

PJ Harvey - Songs From The City, Stories From The Sea WINNER

Basement Jaxx - Rooty

Elbow - Asleep At The Back

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Gorillaz - Gorillaz

Ed Harcourt - Here Be Monsters

Tom Mcrae - Tom Mcrae

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Shusheela Ramen - Salt Rain

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World

Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP

Zero 7 - Simple Things

Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour Of Bewilderbeast WINNER

Richard Ashcroft - Alone With Everybody

Coldplay - Parachutes

M.J. Cole - Sincere

Death In Vegas - The Contino Sessions

The Delgados - The Great Eastern

Doves - Lost Souls

Helicopter Girl - How To Steal The World

Leftfield - Rhythm And Stealth

Nicholas Maw - Violin Concerto

Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin

Kathryn Williams - Little Black Numbers

Talvin Singh - OK WINNER

Thomas Ads - Asyla

Denys Baptiste - Be Where You Are

Blur - 13

Black Star Liner - Bengali Bantam Youth Experience

Chemical Brothers - Surrender

Faithless - Sunday 8pm

Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours

Beth Orton - Central Reservation

Kate Rusby - Sleepless

Stereophonics - Performance and Cocktails

Underworld - Beacoup Fish

Gomez - Bring It On WINNER

Asian Dub Foundation - Rafi's Revenge

Eliza Carthy - Red Rice

Catatonia - International Velvet

Cornershop - When I Was Born For The 7th Time

4-Hero - Two Pages

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Propellerheads - Decksandrumsandrockandroll

Pulp - This Is Hardcore

John Surman - Proverbs & Songs

The Verve - Urban Hymns

Robbie Williams - Life Thru A Lens

Roni Size/Reprazent - New Forms WINNER

The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

Mark-Anthony - Turnage Your Rockaby

Beth Orton - Trailer Park

Primal Scream - Vanishing Point

The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land

Radiohead - OK Computer

The Spice Girls - Spice

Suede - Coming Up

John Taverner - Svyati

Pulp - Different Class WINNER

Artists for War Child - Help

Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight

Fire / Caroline - Mathilde

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Peter Maxwell Davies/The BBC Philharmonic - The Beltane

Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Courtney Pine - Modern Day Jazz Stories

Norma Waterson - Norma Waterson

Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants

Portishead - Dummy WINNER

Guy Barker - Into The Blue

Elastica - Elastica

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Leftfield - Leftism

James MacMillan - Seven Last Words From The Cross

Van Morrison - Days Like This

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Supergrass - I Should Coco

Tricky - Maxinquaye

M People - Elegant Slumming WINNER

Blur - Parklife

Ian McNabb - Head Like A Rock

Shara Nelson - What Silence Knows

Michael Nyman - The Piano Concerto and MGV

The Prodigy - Music For The Jilted Generation

Pulp - His 'n' Hers

Take That - Everything Changes

Therapy? - Troublegum

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Suede - Suede WINNER

Apache Indian - No Reservations

The Auteurs - New Wave

Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet

Dina Carroll - So Close

P.J. Harvey - Rid Of Me

New Order - Republic

Stereo MC's - Connected

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales

Stan Tracey - Portraits Plus

Primal Scream - Screamadelica WINNER

Barry Adamson - Soul Murder

Jesus & Mary Chain - Honey's Dead

Bheki Mseleku - Celebration

St Etienne - Foxbase Alpha

Simply Red - Stars

John Taverner & Steven Isserlis - The Protecting Veil

U2 - Achtung Baby

Jah Wobble - Rising Above Bedlam

The Young Disciples - Road To Freedom

I think it's definitely a consideration for the judging panel' date=' although, you're right, it's not the main criterion. To maintain the credibility of the prize, however, they must ensure that the records they choose as winners stand the test of time.[/quote']

You're right about the credibility, but after reading the list posted by French Disko, most of those winners have not stood the test of time. M People anyone? To me, I certainly wouldn't cry myself to sleep if I lost the Mercury Music Prize, I personally don't think it's very illustrious.

You're right about the credibility' date=' but after reading the list posted by French Disko, most of those winners have not stood the test of time. M People anyone? To me, I certainly wouldn't cry myself to sleep if I lost the Mercury Music Prize, I personally don't think it's very illustrious.[/quote']

Agreed. I don't fancy most of the 'prizes' these days, even getting to number 1 is a joke.

You're right about the credibility' date=' but after reading the list posted by French Disko, most of those winners have not stood the test of time. M People anyone? To me, I certainly wouldn't cry myself to sleep if I lost the Mercury Music Prize, I personally don't think it's very illustrious.[/quote']

I think one of the issues that the MMP suffers with is it's eclectic nature - to nominate disparate musical artists of very different genres actually creates a very difficult task in the judging.

How do you measure the winner in a group that could, potentially, include Metal, Jazz, Pop, indie, etc, etc in it's midst?

They've almost created a rod for their own back in trying to be so all encompassing in their shortlist.

I think M People lasted a reasonably decent length of time as a successful (but shit) band, lasting forever isn't the mark of a great band, take the the Rolling Stones for example.

Some great bands last five years' date=' some last two. The Stones are one of the very few truly great bands to have survived for over forty. It really depends on the personalities involved and their willingness to continue to perform and create music.[/quote']

Are the Stones still creating music though? Discounting the latest CD they've just been performing as a greatest hits touring act in the past decade or more.

Interesting Comment by John Harris here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/harris/story/0,,1528492,00.html

Minimal critical acclaim? Every review I read for "I Am A Bird Now" (Mojo' date=' Q, Uncut, Word, NME, Guardian, Times, drowned in sound) more or less stated that it was one of the albums of the year. And they're hardly unknown in musical circles, there's been a significant buzz about them since the album came out. And rightly so too.

I've got most of the albums on that shortlist (I'm missing MIA and Polar Bear, so I can't comment on them), and the Anthony record is one of the few that bears repeat listening. Maximo Park, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard Fi and Magic Numbers all have good songs on them (well, maybe not Hard-Fi and the Magic Numbers:P) but they are all flawed pieces of work in that they follow the typical pop album format-the singles, a couple of live favourites, and some quite frankly poor filler tracks. The Anthony record is the most complete and fulfilling single piece of work on that shortlist. That's why it deserved to win.[/quote']

thats what I woulda said if could be bothered (but with pointless swearing)

good post :D

I think one of the issues that the MMP suffers with is it's eclectic nature - to nominate disparate musical artists of very different genres actually creates a very difficult task in the judging.

How do you measure the winner in a group that could' date=' potentially, include Metal, Jazz, Pop, indie, etc, etc in it's midst?

They've almost created a rod for their own back in trying to be so all encompassing in their shortlist.[/quote']

You give it to Dizee Rascal one year, and Franz the next

agree with your statements about being narrow minded n stuff but i don't class people as british just because they were born their' date=' it maybe says it on your passport but your nationality should be where you were brought up, if i was born in some other country but i was taken back here and spent my whole life here then i wouldnt turn round and say i was american or whatever[/quote']

Re: the nationality debate.

Antony may have grown up outside the uk but was born here (and possibly holds a british passport?) so qualified through a musical equivalent of the "granny rule" in football. At the same time, i'm pretty sure that M.I.A. was actually born in Sri Lanka, but moved here as a child and was still nominated, so who knows what the criteria were.

As far as i'm concerned, "I Am A Bird Now" is a lovely record, and i'm glad its win has set the cat among the pigeons. It's better than the shitey Kaiser Chiefs winning. I'm sure they'll get their day at the Brits.