The Magic Numbers 'The Magic Numbers'

Coldplay 'X&Y'

The Go! Team 'Thunder, Lightning Strike'

Antony And The Johnsons 'I Am A Bird Now'

KT Tunstall 'Eye To The Telescope'

Maximo Park 'A Certain Trigger'

Seth Lakeman 'Kitty Jay'

Polar Bear 'Held On The Tips Of Fingers'

There's a suprising amount of popular bands in it this year. But my money is MIA this year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

Haven't heard half of them. Antony and the Johnsons might stand a chance going on the press coverage i've seen. Magic Numbers probably also a good bet.

I reakon Maximo Park will get it but the Go! team should get it.

Jimmy after you mentioned Antony and the js I watched that video ..(hope theres someone).the guys voice is incredible.

He has the kind of sound you find in really good african vocalists like baba maal. but then theres a bit of nina simone mixed with jeff buckley. incredible

I reakon Maximo Park will get it but the Go! team should get it.

Jimmy after you mentioned Antony and the js I watched that video ..(hope theres someone).the guys voice is incredible.

He has the kind of sound you find in really good african vocalists like baba maal. but then theres a bit of nina simone mixed with jeff buckley. incredible

It has a video?!

Guest Main Agent
...but we should really be rooting for Aberdonian led jazz band Polar Bear - this is Seb Rochfords band who is also the drummer from Acoustic Ladyland...

Thats the one :)

Guest lime ruined my life
Apparently they put a 2 bet on themselves in a local bookmaker at odds of 4/1. Which means if they win' date=' Kaiser Chiefs will return home with the princely sum of ten British pounds...[/quote']

looks like the kaiser cheifs win again.

• 1 month later...

Antony and the Johnsons win mercury prize

HAIL LORD ANTONY

Antony and The Johnsons have won the 2005 NATIONWIDE MERCURY PRIZE with their album I Am A Bird Now.

New York based but English born frontman Antony Hegarty was declared winner this evening (September 6) at the ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London.

Reacting to the win, Hegarty said: "I think they must have made a mistake. I am completely overwhelmed. I think that's insane. It's kind of like a crazy contest between an orange and a spaceship and a potted plant and a spoon - which one do you like better?".

This year has been one of the most open contest in the prizes history, with speculation over who would triumph surrounding the whole of the 12 act shortlist.

Kaiser Chiefs Employment had emerged as the favourite with the bookies, nominees as varied as Bloc Party, Antony And The Johnsons and MIA had all also been strongly fancied.

This years nominees for the Nationwide Mercury Music Prize were:

Bloc Party 'Silent Alarm'

Hard-Fi 'Stars Of CCTV'

Kaiser Chiefs 'Employment'

MIA 'Arular'

The Magic Numbers 'The Magic Numbers'

Coldplay 'X&Y'

The Go! Team 'Thunder, Lightning Strike'

Antony And The Johnsons 'I Am A Bird Now'

KT Tunstall 'Eye To The Telescope'

Maximo Park 'A Certain Trigger'

Seth Lakeman 'Kitty Jay'

Polar Bear 'Held On The Tips Of Fingers'

The winners pocket a cheque for the 20,000 prize.

Great to see that an 'underdog' has won this, has anyone got their album, what is it like?

So, after listening to the build-up on Radio 1 - with Hard-Fi and The Go! Team having me bouncing off the walls of my bedroom - that fucking big queer Antony steals it after an "intense" performance in which he warbled childish poetry in a barely coherent fashion. His album will be flying off the shelves at Tesco tomorrow. He's hardly British either. When he spoke on stage, he had about as little charisma as a member of Sigur Ros, which is apt considering he is a fellow beauty merchant