aberdeen-music

Colon Openbracket :(

Birdman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK' date=' not the [i']sole tools, but the main tools, because they are the most accessible instrument for young people in a rush but short of cash and know-how. A necessity instrument, like you say

the most accessable instrument now, is actually a pc with a souncard and a freeware synth - much more instant and easier to figure out than a guitar

the most accessable instrument now' date=' is actually a pc with a souncard and a freeware synth - much more instant and easier to figure out than a guitar[/quote']

Hmmm, not so easy to play live as a guitar plugged into an amp, I imagine. Not so easy to rehearse in your mates garage either, nor to look good while playing it. Except colonopenbracket will look good while playing theirs! This is part of their genius

Hmmm' date=' not so easy to play live as a guitar plugged into an amp, I imagine. Not so easy to rehearse in your mates garage either, nor to look good while playing it. Except colonopenbracket will look good while playing theirs! This is part of their genius[/quote']

Horseshit. I rehearse with a synth every week.

Get yourself a keyboard amp and a wee PA and you're laughing.

And looking good playing synths is a piece of pish... I'm a frontperson... who plays synths as a lead instrument... you just have to learn to play it whilst not really looking at it... look into the audience, show some character and most importantly... with any spare mili-second you have... dance like a spaz.

Fairy lights also do wonders for the looks of a synth.

All it all it depends what you use as your controller... Beastman, for example (and yes, he is an aberdeen act) uses a gameboy and dances around (looks amazing) and then he has all his equipment to the side.... lots of wires... but hey, it works and it looks immense.

just to clarify>

we (sharon and me) totally dig :(

but the idea that something is just genius because it has synths in it instead of guitars or any other instrument is bollocks

a band can have all the technology in the world and be total shit

fortunatley in the case of :( this is not the case

edit: when i write colon openbracket it does an auto :(

just to clarify>

we (sharon and me) totally dig :(

but the idea that something is just genius because it has synths in it instead of guitars or any other instrument is bollocks

a band can have all the technology in the world and be total shit

fortunatley in the case of :( this is not the case

edit: when i write colon openbracket it does an auto :(

Do a space then like so : (

Guest pop-notmyface

and the voice does sound great even if it is emo

totally, the vocals go along well with the music. you really couldn't imagine the sound with someone who has a "raspy" voice (kurt cobain...) fitting in so well with the music.

besides, everyone was born with different vocal chords, and there's little you can do about it other than sounding fake.

hasn't the whole thread gone off in a bit of a tangent? ;)

colon openbracket woo!

totally' date=' the vocals go along well with the music. you really couldn't imagine the sound with someone who has a "raspy" voice (kurt cobain...) fitting in so well with the music.

besides, everyone was born with different vocal chords, and there's little you can do about it other than sounding fake.

hasn't the whole thread gone off in a bit of a tangent? ;)

colon openbracket woo![/quote']

yeah i thought it was going off in a tangent, suppose thats what threads are all about i suppose!

so does anyone know when or where the gig is?

But on the topic on : ( I think they are great... amazing tunes and I'm soooo looking forward to them playing. Mart has played some of the material when he did a couple of solo shows (was it late last year?) and I thought it was great then.... but with : ( it seems it'll be an entirely different stage set-up... perhaps a return to a set up as fiddly as his HG#1 set up? I dunno... probably not.

I'm looking forward to it anyways. Supa-pop tunes.

Horseshit. I rehearse with a synth every week.

Get yourself a keyboard amp and a wee PA and you're laughing.

And looking good playing synths is a piece of pish... I'm a frontperson... who plays synths as a lead instrument... you just have to learn to play it whilst not really looking at it... look into the audience' date=' show some character and most importantly... with any spare mili-second you have... dance like a spaz.

Fairy lights also do wonders for the looks of a synth.

All it all it depends what you use as your controller... Beastman, for example (and yes, he is an aberdeen act) uses a gameboy and dances around (looks amazing) and then he has all his equipment to the side.... lots of wires... but hey, it works and it looks immense.[/quote']

I am also a frontperson who plays a synth (well, a 1991 Roland keyboard), and I look fucking cool playing it. I have also been inspired to dance around like a spazz by the synth-player in The Faint. But we were talking about playing PCs, not synths (unless a freeware synth is an actual synth, I assumed it was a piece of software. The fact that I don't know what it is shows just how inaccessible it is to anyone who is not a techno-boffin like Betamax :D )

Btw, even tho Betamax is one of the most consistently unpleasant members of the forum, The Videos are the band I am second most looking forward to see live, because retro-futurism is better than retrogression. You can have that one for your slogan, if you like

I am also a frontperson who plays a synth (well' date=' a 1991 Roland keyboard), and I look fucking cool playing it. I have also been inspired to dance around like a spazz by the synth-player in The Faint. But we were talking about playing PCs, not synths (unless a freeware synth is an actual synth, I assumed it was a piece of software. The fact that I don't know what it is shows just how inaccessible it is to anyone who is not a techno-boffin like Betamax :D )

Btw, even tho Betamax is one of the most consistently unpleasant members of the forum, The Videos are the band I am second most looking forward to see live, because retro-futurism is better than retrogression. You can have that one for your slogan, if you like[/quote']

:O well shucks :)

I see what you mean... but depending what they use as controllers (thats if they do use any asides keyboards) it shouldn't be an issue... they could use keytars, gameboys... whatever... the lost is endless. They'll think of a way, Marty fairly knows his stuff and having seen some his set-ups in the past, I'm sure he'll make sure it looks interesting.

Also, I think he mainly uses Cubase with god knows how many bits and bobs - i want his air synth - which I won't even attempt to name (because I can't).

Not really' date=' otherwise you'd be in a band call The Space Videos.[/quote']

To be honest... I quite like the sound of that... but that's possibly only due to the mental link it gave me to space invaders.

the most accessable instrument now' date=' is actually a pc with a souncard and a freeware synth - much more instant and easier to figure out than a guitar[/quote']

Funny you say that, because as a child I actually started off making music on my old computer (an Amstrad 8086 or whatever the number was) with Band in a Box, just playing around with chord progressions, even though I had little idea of the theory, etc. I even made an album's worth of tunes, and it was only later I started learning guitar, etc.

So I'd agree, especially with Apple's Garage band software and Reason, those can be great tools for producing music pretty instantly and learning intuitively.

Hopefully my new stage set-up will be: laptop; Presonus Firebox sound module; Evolution midi keyboard; MicroKorg, Roland VS-88 guitar synthesiser and my Fender Roland-ready strat; with a microphone plugged directly into the laptop. Should make things a lot more interesting, especially in a full-band setup. To be honest I'm not worried about looking cool playing a synth, because I've never looked cool onstage, and I'm not suddenly about to start now...

PS Parenthesis has more of an American usage than in Queen's English, bracket is quite an acceptable desciption of ( or ) over here...

Who gives a shit? Way to destroy the band name by being a total tit-glove!

Well everyone seemed to appreciate the music on some level, so a different aspect of the project had to bear the brunt of the criticism. It had to happen.