aberdeen-music

Colon Openbracket :(

Birdman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is replacing the guitars and drums in a bog-standard emo song with electronics the 'future' and 'Pop-Art genius'? (For pop genius consult The Cardiacs and Antiproduct IMO.) It's a good idea' date=' but one that I'd find tiresome after a short while.[/quote']

Yeah, but you never were a fan of Mart's music from what I can recall back in the good old Drakes days...

But yeah, great to see Mart getting a full band going, and doing something that has its own individual sound... oh, if only I weren't so lazy (well, if only I had a working soundcard, more to the case).

How is replacing the guitars and drums in a bog-standard emo song with electronics the 'future' and 'Pop-Art genius'? (For pop genius consult The Cardiacs and Antiproduct IMO.) It's a good idea' date=' but one that I'd find tiresome after a short while.[/quote']

Hmm, I agree it may wear thin, but the tunes are still there.

AntiProduct are psih, mind.

Heard from him a coupl'a weeks ago - the guitar player thing still ain't confirmed' date=' but it's looking good. He's still playing for about million diferent bands...[/quote']

that does sound like him - that's how I met him when I played a gig down in Leeds - he was covering guitar for the band we were playing with because the singer had severed tendons in his hand and couldn't play guitar. he was learning the set as we came in to soundcheck and played flawlessly that night. talented bugger that he is!!

:)

It's not as simple as using synths rather than guitars on a recording, it's in the fact that they will each play PC keyboards live, using and abusing them in the same way as guitars, rather than sitting down with a laptop, a mouse and some preset data infront of them. As far as I know, this has never been done by an accessible band. This may sound like a gimmick, but from what Shaun tells me, Mart genuinely believes that they wiil replace guitars as the tools of pop. If pop is to define the modern world - as is it's job - then it should reflect the advance of technology by using it in creative ways. I know they call themselves Emo, but to my ears, their metronomic melody lines are devoid of emotion, which is always a good thing.

It's not as simple as using synths rather than guitars on a recording' date=' it's in the fact that they will each play PC keyboards live, using and abusing them in the same way as guitars, rather than sitting down with a laptop, a mouse and some preset data infront of them. As far as I know, this has never been done by an accessible band. This may sound like a gimmick, but from what Shaun tells me, Mart genuinely believes that they wiil replace guitars as the tools of pop. If pop is to define the modern world - as is it's job - then it should reflect the advance of technology by using it in creative ways. I know they call themselves Emo, but to my ears, their metronomic melody lines are devoid of emotion, which is always a good thing.[/quote']

But the overwrought vocals are very emo, made more so by the american accent.

It's not as simple as using synths rather than guitars on a recording' date=' it's in the fact that they will each play PC keyboards live, using and abusing them in the same way as guitars, rather than sitting down with a laptop, a mouse and some preset data infront of them. [/quote']

That is still just playing an emo song with electronics instead of 'conventional' instruments though innit?

That is still just playing an emo song with electronics instead of 'conventional' instruments though innit?

I don't know about Emo, but it's making pop by modern means, and this alone is a statement. I agree this isn't enough unless they also advance song styles, structures etc. I believe they do this. "Syntax" jerks around and goes off at tangents (perhaps reflecting the role of syntax in language, i.e the derivation of meaning from several components? Maybe I'm giving Mart too much credit), while "Gone" goes the other way in having a continuous groove, with the quickening of the drums marking out the chorus in a moment of brilliant simplicity

Who exactly is better though Birdman?

hmmmm thats a hard one to answer, i thought hex pens were fucking great before they split, i like fluffy and the rainbow bunnies, i like lotsa bands which is ok

but for some reason this band hit me, too da heart lol!

adam xxx

all i can say, other than the fact that there may be bands with better ethics and better ideas, maybe a better image or a better genre. what boils down to it is the fact that their stuff sounds damn good and it is very catchy, if not poppy i dare say!

but in either way it would be great to be party of it, and even if its just a simple electronic tune, isnt it all about how good it sounds and how it effects the people who listen to it?

can agree with many people who rival this band, but its pretty damn catchy and happy

and the voice does sound great even if it is emo

adam xxx

Guest bluesxman

Did Suicide not pioneer the whole electronics in place of guitars thing in the late Seventies? The technology may be more up to date but the idea remains the same.

Did Suicide not pioneer the whole electronics in place of guitars thing in the late Seventies? The technology may be more up to date but the idea remains the same.

yup, and Sparks, Kraftwerk, Cabaret Voltaire, Deutsch American Freundshcaft etc

Even David Bowie had a go

Sequenced synths being randomised live is nothing new but it sounds good....it was all expensive hardware driven for a while, but now its more affordable in the form of laptops, Ive seen some London bands do it and its kinda good, but really its the bands music your hearing and it actually wont matter if its played on a Casio or Les Paul - if its shite its shite, if its cool its cool

The whole ''synths replacing guitars'' discussion is void tho, I play both and its like saying beans will replace fried eggs...its been said before and it was bollocks then

In fact in the early 80s, synths and drum machines were much more widely used in commercial pop than guitars and drums were, the 90s was the opposite and now we've gotta bit of both

Guest tv tanned
In fact in the early 80s' date=' synths and drum machines were much more widely used in commercial pop than guitars and drums were, the 90s was the opposite and now we've gotta bit of both[/quote']

An equilibrium of sorts, some might say.

As for the tunes, they're alright, but I wouldn't be getting too excited.

Ancient Mariner, nae offence, but your posts read like the sort of over the top gush that the NME spouts regularly.

An equilibrium of sorts' date=' some might say.

As for the tunes, they're alright, but I wouldn't be getting too excited.

Ancient Mariner, nae offence, but your posts read like the sort of over the top gush that the NME spouts regularly.[/quote']

I don't take offence at that at all. Most NME journalists are astute pop-culture commentators. What you mean by "over the top gush" is the intellectualising of pop music, which is necessary because both them and I know that there is no intrinsic meaning in pop's combination of noise and notes, yet it can have importance beyond simply the sound on a record.

Btw, I agree with Betamax that guitars are always going to be the tool of the young and inspired, but they should be (and are being) used within a greater technological framework

Btw Birdman, I think the opposite, that there are no bands with a better idea or a better image, but there are bands with better tunes

Guest tv tanned
I don't take offence at that at all. Most NME journalists are astute pop-culture commentators. What you mean by "over the top gush" is the intellectualising of pop music' date=' which is necessary because both them and I know that there is no intrinsic meaning in pop's combination of noise and notes, yet it can have importance beyond simply the sound on a record.[/quote']

If by "astute pop-culture commentators" you mean "band wagon jumpers who will happily endorse a band as the next big thing if the record company wines and dines them and gives them free merch" then I concur wholeheartedly.

If by "astute pop-culture commentators" you mean "band wagon jumpers who will happily endorse a band as the next big thing if the record company wines and dines them and gives them free merch" then I concur wholeheartedly.

The NME decides who to break, because they know what's best for us. It's because they proclaim a movement that bands get signed, not the other way round. If any record company were to try and curry their favour, then it would be the record label that Keane are on, yet NME has mocked them from the start

Guest tv tanned
The NME decides who to break' date=' because they know what's best for us.[/quote']

No they don't. They are, like you an I, individuals with opinions. What gives their opinions an elevated status is that they get to write about theirs in the mass media, and gullible fools looking for the latest 'trend' gobble it all up.

Btw' date=' I agree with Betamax that guitars are always going to be the tool of the young and inspired[/quote']

I never said that > the tools of inspiration can be anything (even a fucking flute!), in fact guitars are so overdone I dont think they are inspirational very often, more a of neccessity instrument really like the toast for your beans to be on, or the toasty fingers for you to dip into your boiled egg

I just dont see them being 'replaced' by synths...that would messy and there would be egg all over the place

and if that was gonna happen, it would have by now given that synths have been around for 30 years

Guest bluesxman

I like quite a lot of electronic music, but it will never grab me by the balls like a great bit of guitar based music, it just feels so much more dynamic and AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH.

Although hearing Smack My Bitch Up on Sunday night at TITP for the first time in years got me going, must be said.

I never said that > the tools of inspiration can be anything (even a fucking flute!)' date=' in fact guitars are so overdone I dont think they are inspirational very often, more a of neccessity instrument really like the toast for your beans to be on, or the toasty fingers for you to dip into your boiled egg

I just dont see them being 'replaced' by synths...that would messy and there would be egg all over the place

and if that was gonna happen, it would have by now given that synths have been around for 30 years[/quote']

OK, not the sole tools, but the main tools, because they are the most accessible instrument for young people in a rush but short of cash and know-how. A necessity instrument, like you say