aberdeen-music

joanna newsom

lepeep

I like her music but am also massively irritated by it. She sounds like a witch. A nice witch though I guess. The sort that makes love potions, and bakes cakes. I can't really listen to more than a few tracks in a row. I have a similar theshold problem with Devandra Barnhart (sp?). It's all a bit twee.

Guest lime ruined my life
I like her music but am also massively irritated by it. She sounds like a witch. A nice witch though I guess. The sort that makes love potions' date=' and bakes cakes. I can't really listen to more than a few tracks in a row. I have a similar theshold problem with Devandra Barnhart (sp?). It's all a bit twee.[/quote']

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

YOU'RE TWEE!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like her music but am also massively irritated by it. She sounds like a witch. A nice witch though I guess. The sort that makes love potions' date=' and bakes cakes. I can't really listen to more than a few tracks in a row. I have a similar theshold problem with Devandra Barnhart (sp?). It's all a bit twee.[/quote']

My mind explained.

this thread make me put the album on for the first time in a little while

i love it in a lot of ways.........peach, plum, pear is just kinda addictive....

and what's scary is the possibly just some double-tracking of her voice sounds like i chorus of children 0_0 but i kinda like that too ^_^

...we also like her repeated reference to ...gnawing

she's a classically trained harpist' date=' but does some odd tunes...

a bit like

bjork meets Tori amos in a tunnel listening to MuM...[/quote']

harps.......and harp players..........more please ....yes

if someone had given that likening description and i hadn't heard her i would have dashed out for the cd immediatement

....the voice thing.........even sometimes i'm not sure.....but i guess that's another reason it's similar to Bjork and Tori....every now and again there's something you can hear in terms of why other people don't like it............but really you love it.......which overcomes the bit you're not sure about....though Joanna's voice is a little more intense in that sense

i found it's a very good album for being all content and happy and snoozy too...........which is also how i like my MuM..

I was listening to it again last night, and I think I got onto the 3 play of the lp....

it's a strange one indeed, I think there is only one track on the LP I can;t listen to, but I think it's because it's badly recorded (her voice)...probably dicking around with recording techniques).

I heard of her through the new "special 10" dvd magazine.

the video for the sprout and the bean is amazing...

stop animation mixed with live video (blackboard chalk animations).

fantastic stuff.

I bought the "special10" in Fopp (edition number 10).

(www.specialten.com)

and you can also see it on the BBC link on the first page (if I remember correctly)

----------- and on a spooky note, "more harp please"...as if by magic, bjorks new cd :

Drawing Restraint 9

A Soundtrack composed by Bjork with minimal vocals for celebrated contemporary visual artist Mattthew Barney's next film, in which she also appears. "Drawing Restraint 9" was premiered in Kanazawa, Japan on July 1st, the day before Bjork headlined the Japanese Live 8 concert.

"Drawing Restraint 9" is available on CD for pre-order now from www.onelittleshop.com and all orders will be dispatched ahead of the 25th July 2005 release date. To order "Drawing Restraint 9" click here

"Drawing Restraint 9" will also be available for pre order from www.onelittleshop.com soon, ready for dispatch mid August.

Barney is best known for The Cremaster Cycle, five films made over ten years. He is the youngest living artist to be honoured with a retrospective at The Guggenheim Museum (New York, 2003).

Unlike her soundtrack for Lars von Trier's film "Dancer in the Dark" which drew on the tradition of theatrical and cinema musicals (and won her Best Actress at Cannes), this is a collection of delicate single instrument studies, for harp, harpsichord and celeste, large orchestral masses scored for trumpet, trombone and oboe, electronic basslines, children's choir and, in a manner recalling the all-vocal "Medulla" album, Bjrk's singular voice, treated as an instrument of astonishingly flexible texture. The soundtrack orientates itself around the traditional music forms of Japan as the film was shot in Nagasaki Bay onboard a whaling ship. The opening sequence, sung by Will Oldham (a.k.a. Bonnie Prince Billy), sets out the folk-culture roots of whaling, and the barbed political history in which those drowned.