aberdeen-music

NME Documentry on BBC4 last night.

french_disko

Did anyone see "Inky Fingers : The NME Story" last night on BBC4?

Quite interesting & a it really showed up the current magazine as being nothing more than a Smash Hits-for-Indie-Kids.

The NME of the 70s with Hynde/Kent/Burchill/Parsons, of the 80s with Penman/Morley makes the current writers look like nobodies.

Personally, I gave up on it when it got "glossy" and you didn't need to wash your hands after reading it - the early 90s (Grunge / Madchester, even as far as Britpop) will be my "golden period".

Anyone out there still actually reading it? Does it hold any relevance to anyone? Has the internet rendered i obsolete & powerless? What's everyone's opinions?

Anyway the documentry is repeated a few times in the next couple of weeks - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/nme.shtml

Guest bluesxman

I never used to buy the NME on a regular basis at all but over the past year have got into the habit of buying it every week. I'm really not sure why as it seems to be practically the same shite in it every week, waste of near 2 quid. Think I just need to stick to my copies of Uncut every month, much better mag.

I buy it from time to time... I find it a bit tiresome, all very predictable. It's lazy journalism, but I still from time to time think, "maybe... just maybe it'll be alright" there are usually 1 or 2 readable articles... never that many though.

like most magazines, it's full off "articles" that suck up to the band, and only really give the impression that the "writer" is kewel, cos he's hanging with the band...resulting in no factual info what so ever.

if you had writers with cred, then the band would probably give more away, or something interesting, anyway.

can't be doing with bullshit zines.

the web is my source of reviews / listings etc...

Fanzines are more real

like most magazines' date=' it's full off "articles" that suck up to the band, and only really give the impression that the "writer" is kewel, cos he's hanging with the band...resulting in no factual info what so ever.

if you had writers with cred, then the band would probably give more away, or something interesting, anyway.

can't be doing with bullshit zines.

...[/quote']

That will be why Maple have contributed songs to FUDGE FANZINE then? surely you don't think FUDGE is nae bullshit? holy mackerel I'm getting confused with all this double negative stuff...perhaps I will become a writer on the NME and write meaningless shite more often.

Did anyone see "Inky Fingers : The NME Story" last night on BBC4?

Quite interesting & a it really showed up the current magazine as being nothing more than a Smash Hits-for-Indie-Kids.

Didn't need a programme to tell me that. I stopped buying it around 1996, when I realised all it does is bulid up a band for a while, then knock them down. THe reviews were not really reviews, more a serious of jibes and put downs, unless it was of a band of the moment.