aberdeen-music

I love Barry from Mogwai.....

RossP

Guest Gasss
Not really' date=' the only clever thing about Coldplay is that they've tricked load'sa people into thinking they're any good - MOR for people who don't really like music. [/quote']

I agree completely. Did anybody actually listen to their set at Glastonbury? Did anybody not feel utterly patronised by Chris Martins sanctimonious preaching? Did anyone hear how much better Basement Jaxx's version of can't get you out of my head was?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what could have enraged him so much to have a dig at Martin? I know - the fact that Mogwai' date=' whilst not even playing Glastonbury themselves, will also never, ever, ever, ever headline Glastonbury. Mogwai are fucking shite, and he can say what he wants about Coldplay but they've done well for themselves. Its like the thick kid in school having a go at the clever one.

Mike[/quote']

So you think people should respect Coldplay because they're popular?

I'm sorry, but it takes more than selling thousands of CDs to the masses in Asda or Tesco to earn respect.

And why are Mogwai's opinion less valid than yours? You like them, they don't - and both of you used the same medium to convey your repective messages.

Does that mean your opinion on Mogwai being "fucking shite" is invalid because you've never achieved what they have?

I guess your post is a bit like the Special Needs unit kid having a go at the thick kid in school, isn't it?

But what could have enraged him so much to have a dig at Martin? I know - the fact that Mogwai' date=' whilst not even playing Glastonbury themselves, will also never, ever, ever, ever headline Glastonbury. Mogwai are fucking shite, and he can say what he wants about Coldplay but they've done well for themselves. Its like the thick kid in school having a go at the clever one.

Mike[/quote']

heh, i really don't think mogwai could give two shits about headlining glastonbury. they've already curated and headlined the wonder that is all tomorrows parties a couple of times and have critical and popular acclaim all over the world, plus they run their own successful record label. they might not be popular on the same scale as coldplay but i'm pretty sure they're happy with their substantial lot.

did coldplay ever get played on sex and the city? i think not.

The two posts above this one pretty much sum up my feelings on the subject. Well said, guys.

Do you really think Mogwai EXPECT to headline Glasto? I don't think their particular brand of angular post - rock with extreme heavieness thrown in would really go down too well on the pyramid stage on a Sunday night. I know that and they know that.

Mogwai achieved everything they ever set out to do when they played a headline show at the Barras about four or five years ago. I was there and it was one of the best things I've ever seen. I was deaf for a week - what a show. Coldplay's turgid, unimaginative, preaching shite will never come close to the genius of Mogwai.

But I digress - Barry was right to criticise Chris Martin.

Don't forget - Mogwai are one of the few true punk bands out there. They won't stand back and watch pish like Coldplay take over the world without a fight.

Punk rock/Chris Martin/Antichrist

Do so but you might get attacked by irate Clash fans.

It's a shit Clash song on a patchy Clash album. I'd explain my reasons for thinking so to any irate disciple of the Strummage.

In any case the t - shirt's going to have a massive picture of your face on it anyway, so there shouldn't be any confusion over whether it's related to the Last Gang In Town or not.

Guest bluesxman
It's a shit Clash song on a patchy Clash album. I'd explain my reasons for thinking so to any irate disciple of the Strummage.

In any case the t - shirt's going to have a massive picture of your face on it anyway' date=' so there shouldn't be any confusion over whether it's related to the Last Gang In Town or not.[/quote']

You make me cry.

So you think people should respect Coldplay because they're popular?

Does that mean your opinion on Mogwai being "fucking shite" is invalid because you've never achieved what they have?

I guess your post is a bit like the Special Needs unit kid having a go at the thick kid in school' date=' isn't it?[/quote']

Firstly, I think people should respect Coldplay because they're popular. However I understand FULLY why people hate them and think they're shit - I just happen to like their music. I hate Keane but I respect them because they've got some well-written songs and they've sold quite shitloads of records.

My opinion on Mogwai being 'fucking shite' was admittedly an overreaction to the fact that there is no real need for Barry to come out on their website and have a go at Coldplay because he made some crap joke on stage. Making comments like 'fuck off and die you cunt' or whatever it was he said is just plain ignorant. But yeah I overreacted on that front, you got me; what I should have said was 'I don't like Mogwai and that Barry guy is a bit of an arsehole'.

Finally my accusation of Mogwai being shite isn't comparable to Mogwai thinking Coldplay are shite; I am merely a music fan, whereas Barry from Mogwai is (relatively) in the public eye and in a popular band. Therefore he shouldn't be making such stupid comments about other musicians unless he wants to end up like another pantomime dame bitch like Liam Gallagher has gradually evolved into.

Aside from that, yeah I love them ;)

Cheers,

Mike

Guest Gasss
Firstly' date=' I think people should respect Coldplay because they're popular. [/quote']

No, absolutely not.

We are perfectly within our rights to like or dislike whatever we want. This is a pointless discussion. Nobody, solely based on someone elses opinion, ought to respect anything.

No' date=' absolutely not.

We are perfectly within our rights to like or dislike whatever we want. This is a pointless discussion. Nobody, solely based on someone elses opinion, [i']ought to respect anything.

Well put. should we respect the Nazi party because they were popular??

No' date=' absolutely not.

We are perfectly within our rights to like or dislike whatever we want. This is a pointless discussion. Nobody, solely based on someone elses opinion, [i']ought to respect anything.

As much as i think Mogwai are bland (though no more so than Coldplay) and boorish, i have to agree with this guy.

Do you respect the Frog Song more then? Seeing as it's technically more popular?

Not at all. The difference is Crazy Frog is a novelty act. Coldplay, despite being (according to your opinions) a bland MOR group, are a successful pop-rock act, who have released three albums, had quite a few top ten singles, and have an excellant live reputation, as well as getting excellant reviews for their most recent album from both Q and the NME, the latter of which would have been only too happy to slate had it been shit.

The thing people (and myself) tend to forget about on forums is that it really is all a matter of opinion and I guess no matter how much you like something, there's always going to be someone who hates it just as much. Thats fine with me.

Mike

Guest Gasss

The thing people (and myself) tend to forget about on forums is that it really is all a matter of opinion and I guess no matter how much you like something' date=' there's always going to be someone who hates it just as much. Thats fine with me.

[/quote']

I think we are in agreement :cheers:

One thing you implied that I found interesting (and I'm not having a go, just thinking aloud) is that Crazy Frog is fundamentally less important than Coldplay because it is a "novelty" act. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What divides novelty and serious artists? Does it matter? For me, this is similar to the supposed difference between "manufactured" and "real" music. My view is that all commercial music is "manufactured" in the sense that it is pressed onto cds (or uploaded onto servers) or whatever and distributed/promoted by businesses. At the same time, all music is "real" in the sense that one or more people have composed, arranged, performed, produced and mastered it. Is there any fundamental divide?

You could say that Motown's Holland - Dozier - Holland songwriting/production team represented the peak of "manufactured" pop - sitting in an office, rolling out tunes for a revolving cast of singers. Some people, myself included, regard them to have produced some of the greatest pop music ever. Feel free to disagree. Do the circumstances of their works origin make it more or less valid?

[objectivity... failing....]

I would chose Axel F over Coldplay any day, though I would prefer the Harold Faltermeyer version. To be honest, I'd still rather see it performed by a disgusting frog with it's cock out than anything by Chris Martin.

FIN

You could say that Motown's Holland - Dozier - Holland songwriting/production team represented the peak of "manufactured" pop - sitting in an office' date=' rolling out tunes for a revolving cast of singers. Some people, myself included, regard them to have produced some of the greatest pop music ever. Feel free to disagree. Do the circumstances of their works origin make it more or less valid?[/quote']

I couldn't agree more concerning Holland-Dozier-Holland. Stock-Waterman-Aitken however, can get to fuck.

Seriously though, I think the novelty tag applies perfectly to Crazy Frog because what we have is an original piece of music sampled with a ringtone. The video, the stage 'act' as I've seen laughably on top of the pops; everything about it screams 'novelty'. The fact that it's a cartoon frog just ranks it along side other novelty number ones, such as 'Do The Bartman' and 'Mr Blobby'. I wouldn't have considered novelty records and manufactured records as the same, although I'm sure a lot of people do think people like Westlife are novelty.

But it has to be said that some songwriting teams have produced some of the most legendary pop songs ever.

Cheers,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus christ...

Doesn't anyone like both of them? Apart from historicrocker, (well done sir/ma'am) not one person seems to have an appreciation for both bands. I'll admit, I love Mogwai, and have far more time for them than Coldplay, but most of the posters in this thread seem to have nothing but vile hatrid for one of said bands...

....shame really.

They both serve their purpose well in that Mogwai is shamelessly experimental and always doing stuff that definitely wouldn't be played on Northsound 1, whereas Coldplay is nice just for unchallenging MOR pop. I mean, if you've just been sitting on an airplane for 10 hours or whatever, then "Like Herod" is hardly the sort of music you'd be listening to. both bands are good at their own little niches, although Mogwai definitely is far more experimental and musically interesting.

i'm sure you'll all be really interested to know that i am getting a kitten on saturday. i'm going to call him Son. i'm really' date=' really excited!

martin

And I'm going to get a giant dug with Rabies, called "Rabies", and train him to search and kill baby cats in the Southside.

Barry[/quote']

Ooh, how edgey!

Mogwai achieved everything they ever set out to do when they played a headline show at the Barras about four or five years ago. I was there and it was one of the best things I've ever seen. I was deaf for a week - what a show.

I had fucking tickets for that gig, but instead lay on the sofa for a week, sweating. Then got admited to hospital with malaria.