aberdeen-music

aberdeen vs scotland

Guest who died?

Guest who died?

i have noticed in the last few years that aberdeen is fast becoming the place to be

we have a great music scene, we seem to have lots of great bands coming to play and they seem to get a great reception, its great to see people who are passionate about music

i have also been impressed with some of our local bands and acts too

lets hope it continues

As someone who has just rediscovered the local scene in the last 3 years, I'm enjoying it! But we shouldn't take for granted the promoters who are giving us the high profile...thanks, all of you!!!!

A few years ago the kind of music I like didn't come anywhere near here, but I've seen so many excellent gigs of late I'm almost becoming complacent. :love:

They are definitely bringing us next year's sounds today!

*smacks self on face for bad soundbite*

*smacks self again for using the word 'soundbite'*

*smacks self again, as latent masochistic tendencies come to the fore and pleasure ensues*

But it's not just the Interesting Music folks ('tho I love them to bits!)...there's Arkade, Vocoustics, the Gun Club guys, Prof Lo-Fi & gang and many others all making the live music scene here very vibrant. :cheers:

we seem to have lots of great bands coming to play and they seem to get a great reception

Let's hope they actually remember how good a reception they got. I think most bands who play here are pleased with the reception they get, but that doesn't stop them only playing Glasgow, or maybe Edinburgh, when they get a bit of success and decide they're too big to play Aberdeen. I was pleasantly surprised Idlewild still consider Aberdeen for touring.

I suppose the really big bands are always going to snub Aberdeen in favour of the central belt (can Glaswegian's not travel to see a band or something?), but it would be nice if they could be convinced to play Aberdeen as a second date on tours. It's like bands forget that the SECC and Barrowlands aren't Scotland's only venues.

What we need is for a couple of our bands to really hit the big time to attract national attention. Dedalus and The Videos perhaps? Or maybe AKA The Fox and Hooker's Green #1?

Guest who died?
Let's hope they actually remember how good a reception they got. I think most bands who play here are pleased with the reception they get' date=' but that doesn't stop them only playing Glasgow, or maybe Edinburgh, when they get a bit of success and decide they're too big to play Aberdeen. I was pleasantly surprised Idlewild still consider Aberdeen for touring.

I suppose the really big bands are always going to snub Aberdeen in favour of the central belt (can Glaswegian's not travel to see a band or something?), but it would be nice if they could be convinced to play Aberdeen as a second date on tours. It's like bands forget that the SECC and Barrowlands aren't Scotland's only venues.

What we need is for a couple of our bands to really hit the big time to attract national attention. Dedalus and The Videos perhaps? Or maybe AKA The Fox and Hooker's Green #1?[/quote']

point 1: i can see your point but i wasnt really talking about the size of bands, more the calibre. the more creative and interesting the bands are, the more chance our local bands will be further inspired to push themselves

point 2: a lot of bands have been snubbing glasgow recently, i have also noticed a lot more "only scottish show" on aberdeen gig posters

point 3: i dont think that national attention builds a good community, national attention generally brings idiots along to gigs, many of these idiots spoil the gigs for others. i think its about bands working together and building relationships with like minded souls in other cities/places that get word travelling between the people who matter (the people who are genuinely passionate about music). that is just my opinion though. I do agree about hookers green no1, i think they are a very good band. electric tibet are another example

What we need is for a couple of our bands to really hit the big time to attract national attention. Dedalus and The Videos perhaps?

Dedalus are dead....

But i think that aberdeen has been fairly good for a while, just no-one paid attention...i have seen just as many great bands a few years back as i have more recently...but the local scene has improved alot though....

i have noticed in the last few years that aberdeen is fast becoming the place to be

we have a great music scene' date=' we seem to have lots of great bands coming to play and they seem to get a great reception, its great to see people who are passionate about music

i have also been impressed with some of our local bands and acts too

lets hope it continues[/quote']

yeah aberdeen is full of great bands producing fantastic stuff, its a city packed full of burgeoning talent and as the epicenter of musical talent in scotland it can be likened to a strawberry so ripe on the vine that nobody could resist plucking the swollen tender fruit, which if it was left a moment longer to mature would almost certainly become host to a multitude of parasitic maggots.

Anyway, jokes aside, are you taking the piss? Aberdeen, "a great music scene" ?

Guest who died?

in the last year we have had some very special bands, acts and people come to play aberdeen, they have came to play scottish only shows, they have had a great reception, been looked after well and will be coming back

we have had great bands throughout the musical spectrum, folk, electronica, post rock, psyche, post punk, electro pop etc no neccessarily the usual guitar bass drums stuff which is overdone. particular standouts for me have been caribou, a mute, marcia blane school for girls, acid mothers temple and the cosmic inferno, pinky mcclure and john willis

yeah aberdeen is full of great bands producing fantastic stuff' date=' its a city packed full of burgeoning talent and as the epicenter of musical talent in scotland it can be likened to a strawberry so ripe on the vine that nobody could resist plucking the swollen tender fruit, which if it was left a moment longer to mature would almost certainly become host to a multitude of parasitic maggots.

Anyway, jokes aside, are you taking the piss? Aberdeen, "a great music scene" ?[/quote']

Being that you don't seem to like live music... Go away

J

Guest Page 99
Aberdeen's nae that great' date=' last time I checked, we were still self-harm capital of the world, or britain, or europe, or something.[/quote']

Well I for one am just off to slit my wrists instead of going to band practise this week. :rolleyes:

Where was the relevance?

Aberdeen's nae that great' date=' last time I checked, we were still self-harm capital of the world, or britain, or europe, or something.[/quote']

where'd this info come from? was it journal published or a feature on richard and judy? i'm interested. from my time spent studying in the psychiatric sector, i was never really aware that it was a particularly major problem here, infact i couldnt get enough info to do my elective project on it. maybe if i'd known this i could've changed my angle and done a major exposee! i don't know why aberdeen gets such a hard time to be honest. i quite like it here.