aberdeen-music

American Grand Prix

Tony Marlin

Only 3 teams might be racing because of safety fears with michelin tyres, going to be even more boring than normal...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33184

US GP SET FOR TEAM BOYCOTT

Last Updated: Sunday, 19, June, 2005, 18:36

Click to enlarge

Indianapolis is in a state of confusion with half an hour remaining before the start of the United States Grand Prix.

The Gang of Nine teams all bar Ferrari have agreed that they will not go to the grid unless a chicane is constructed on the approach to the critical turn 13.

It appears to be a little unclear as to whether we go racing or not, David Coulthard told ITVs Louise Goodman.

The Michelin position is that we cant race without a chicane.

The FIA has refused to build a chicane, but Minardis Paul Stoddart suggested that whether a chicane is installed is actually down to the circuit.

Its not up to the FIA to provide a chicane, said Stoddart.

The teams are preparing as normal, but the Michelin teams will pull out of the race immediately if a chicane is not installed.

Ferrari did not participate in the teams meeting and the team is trying to stay out of the controversy.

Ferrari is just preparing for the race, said spokesman Luca Colajanni.

Thats it. Nothing more.

Someone threw a full beer can...it pierced then started spraying every where...saying that it is probably the most interesting thing to happen in F1 for a while...its becoming more of a politcal show these days.

it's becoming more interesting than when ferrari were owning everyone and schumacher won all the time.

throwing stuff in front of f1 cars is a pretty moronic way to protest about it if you ask me too. they refused to race cause it wasn't safe so throwing things at the ones who carried on racing was just absolutely stupid.

i reckon all the teams should've boycotted for the sake of the people who'd gone to see the race rather than racing a ghost track. adding a chicane would've levelled the playing field and meant everyone could enjoy a race rather than crap. ferrari refusing to participate in the discussions is a rather childish and ignorant thing for a team to do, it's basically hiding in the corner and hoping no one notices so they can sneak on and win a race when they've been drastically underperforming this season. there's a lot we don't know and obviously adding a makeshift chicane isn't easy, but surely something could've been done to get that race going.

Well then allow the same for Bridgestone. Hey presto! Problem solved. I should join the FIA!

It's not as easy as that, apparently bringing over a new batch of tyres would have broken 5 FIA directives meaning no points and fines for teams doing so. Even if that was overcome the teams would be using tyres totally untested by them, so it would be impossible to predict wear and handling, drivers would not be able to push it at all. Shitting in the dark really.

They should have made it a no point race, put in the extra part of the track to slow up turn 13 and then put on a show for all the fans who turned out/tuned in. That way all the people paying to see it are happy, all the teams get to race and collect some data on the track <usefull since they aren't alloud to test there> and it just isn't such a cock up.

Guest tv tanned

Another nail in the F1 coffin.

It's been progressively shit for years now, I went to Silverstone in 2001 for my 21st, and it was really great entertainment, but even then you knew that there was a malaise setting in...

it's becoming more interesting than when ferrari were owning everyone and schumacher won all the time.

throwing stuff in front of f1 cars is a pretty moronic way to protest about it if you ask me too. they refused to race cause it wasn't safe so throwing things at the ones who carried on racing was just absolutely stupid.

Yeah it's so dangerous. 180mph and a beer can cannot be a good mix. I was speaking about the politics being interesting not the beer can throwing...just incase you thought I was being sadistic.

Guest tv tanned

As a general point, I am becoming increasingly concerned by the growing trend of missiles being thrown at sporting events, and people breaking onto the course/field of play.

Yesterday highlighted this with the beer cans at Indianapolis and the spectator running onto the pitch in the confederations cup.

It's going to come to a stage where spectator sports are going to become a thing of the past unless these mindless idiots wisen up.

How would they like it if Michael Schumacher turned up at their office and threw beer cans at them, simply because he wasn't happy with the work that their company did?

How would they like it if Michael Schumacher turned up at their office and threw beer cans at them' date=' simply because he wasn't happy with the work that their company did?

[/quote']

Lets be honest...i wouldnt put that past Schumacher.....as long as it somehow would lead to him cheating his way into some points :D

But it is unacceptable...once again a few people ruin things for everyone...

The race yesterday just reminded me how boring F1 is...and how much the main teams dominate it....those poor bastards in the other cars were ringing the nuts out of their cars whilst scumachchchchcererer and co were having a gental stroll and they couldnt get close...lapped twice i think....

Guest DustyDeviada
They should have made it a no point race

Um, what's the point in a no point race? ;)

It is a real shame though, this season's been the best for a long, long time.

Considering F1 was only just re-establishing itself in the states I think's it's really had it now. Was worth watching though just to see the interviews with disgruntled US fans, and the aforementioned Portugese Jordan guy, not clever. I really can't see why he was so pleased to come third out of six anyway.