aberdeen-music

Keith Chaos

Hog

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laura@TMB
There is still money to come in hopefully from the caterers and the bar' date=' that should offset a fair amount.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Knowing how much Keith people can drink, I would imagine the shortfall should be less than anticipated!! Did the event get any coverage from The Northern Scot?

Knowing how much Keith people can drink' date=' I would imagine the shortfall should be less than anticipated!! Did the event get any coverage from The Northern Scot?[/quote']

The Northern Scot were actually very good, they had a photographer and everything down, all other media was pretty much a bust.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Laura@TMB

Oh, that's ok then. I know their chief reporter, so was gonna offer to kick his ass if they hadn't done anything. Credit to "the Scot" - they provide damn good coverage for local events in their area, especially those trying to raise money for a worthy cause *cough*, unlike some other papers :nono:

Local press

If you want good coverage from the Aberdeen Journals don't dare do anything culturally progressive or adventurous! Fucked if they don't make it feel like a little backwater hick town with their terribly lazy half arsed journalism and comment!

Sonzabitches... As far as they are concerned there is a next to no music scene and as for the arts... 'aye fits att like min, ca that art fir fuck sakes? its a shit, ken' sort of attitude makes you just wanna give up and move south!

Jim

Fuck 'em! Those who were there know the potential of KCL as a major happening in this area. It's up to people to back it by turning up and next hallo is....we won't need the bloody P&J. Remember, even the 1st Glastonbury lost money and NE Scotland is renowned for being a bit slow to catch on to a new thing. Keep the positive and work from there, discard the negative as being unimportant to progress and to hell with those who would do nothing then presume the authority to pass comment.

Fuck 'em! Those who were there know the potential of KCL as a major happening in this area. It's up to people to back it by turning up and next hallo is....we won't need the bloody P&J. Remember' date=' even the 1st Glastonbury lost money and NE Scotland is renowned for being a bit slow to catch on to a new thing. Keep the positive and work from there, discard the negative as being unimportant to progress and to hell with those who would do nothing then presume the authority to pass comment.[/quote']

Damn right, there should be one next year!

I'm pretty disappointed reading this thread, especially if the organisers are talking about losing 10 grand on a charity gig.

As part of a research project I'm doing on charity music events, Stuart has kindly agreed to be interviewed by me, so I'm very much looking forward to hear the outcome of this.

I'll probably be constructing an online questionnaire at some stage over the next couple of months, and will link to it here if anyone is interested enough to take part.

And when we started these gigs' date=' there was [b']absolutely no music scene in Elgin and Moray at that time. Now there is a thriving scene with more local bands than ever, more gigs with out of town bands, greater press exposure and greater contact between musicians. A lot of this is to do with new local promoters like the guys from O.C.D and Saving the 9, Thanks Attack, They Made Me Do It, and especially with the help of the HUBL.

Moray music scene is continuing to grow, and with any luck next year there will be a greater public want of events like Keith Chaos. Perhaps Steve aimed to high, there were maybe overheads that could be cut, i don't know. Maybe he could hold a similar event in the Elgin or Keith Town Hall around Autumn or Winter, where the initial overheads would be cheaper, helping to secure a profit. We managed to hold a 2 day weekend event in the Elgin Town Hall with 8 bands which drew over 400 people over two nights, where overheads were kept low at 500, and managed to make a large profit while still paying the bands handsomely

I just feel it would be a waste to just abandon this idea of Keith Chaos, an Indoor event would work well i feel, when the weather is a little cooler. All these contacts you've made with the afore mentioned bands would go to waste if you didn't follow them up with another event. Losses can be covered, and over the course of 2, maybe even one more event, profits can be made which can help the Keith Cancer Link.

Thats my 2 cents, i hope Steve doesn't leave Keith Chaos at that, if he or anyone else is thinking of organising a similar charity event in moray, i might be able to help or be able to pass on some contacts or advice. Please get in contact with me either through PM, or at smallenclosedarea@hotmail.com.

Some good points Ross but there were gigs in Moray before you guys started. We were running the mulitband Keith gigs since 2000 and have done so right up until last year with crowds of 150-300. There was also gigs in Elgin around 2000 when the Piner was undergoing another attempt to make it work since the halycon days of the late 80s.

Also I was at most of the Validnights and there were never more than 150 at any of them. The last Elgin Town hall had around 100 max each night. That is a good crowd for Elgin though as the place is shite for any support for original live music...and has been since I can remember. I live here too. Thanks to you guys I saw the likes of Cayto...brilliant. It's a lot of hard work and little reward at the end of the day as everyone in Elgin wants to go to that shite house DT USA and Jo's. If it's off the main drag...forget it.

However, it's a far step from going from what we all attempted with those gigs and something the size of KCL. The ticket prices were low at 3.50-5 and even over the last 5 years things have changed dramically with legislation and the days of pulling a few big mates for bouncers are gone like everything else. The infrastucture costs are also massive for an outdoor event.

But KCL is not alone. Party On The Pitch (Elgin 1996) and MAC1 in Inverness (2001) had the same sizes of crowds as KCL and they were similar in their ambition e.g MAC1 had the best bill of any of them Bob Geldof, Reef, Republica, The Commitments etc and still was a flop. Then last month there was the Speyside Music Festival and it again had around 1000 punters. It's just the same old story folk moan about no gigs and then don't support anything which is put on.

This was a great day and is only spoiled by the fact it was not supported to a reasonable level. It really is sad that Steve has lost so much in this.

As you said I hope something can happen to help it take place again but with a horror story like this one who'd want to?

May I also say a thanks to the Northern Scot for it's support.

That wasn't a dreadful hangover' date=' I was still capable of speech and movement.

Big thanks to the Mind Gone Blind guys for stepping in as stage crew at the last minute I really couldn't have done it without them.

I have a suntan so I'll probably be thrown out of the sound engineers guild for not being pasty white.

I did hear a rumour that the police got 2 guys they caught trying to jump the fence to pay in, then threw them out, telling them that the 20 they'd just paid was cheaper than the fine they would get.[/quote']

How's it going Ian, you did a great job on Saturday.

That's a classic with the cops and the two guys and I think it is true :cheers:

I'm sorry to hear there wasn't a bigger crowd, especially sorry for Steve. He's a good bloke and helped us out a bit when I was in bands at school, I know he put a lot of effort into this.

It's odd that all the youngsters in Keith complain that there is never anything to do, then a great gig comes up and they don't go.

The fact is that this gig had to reach out further than Keith to get any decent crowd. I mean there are only 5,000 people in the town, and I'm damn sure my Grannie didn't go ( Domimic Kirwan would have got her there!). What I'm getting at is there are probably less than 1,000 people in Keith that this gig appealed to, so where was the rest of the expected crowd coming from?

The only advertising of the gig I've seen in Aberdeen has been for the past week at the top of this site. Not everyone in Aberdeen visits this site. Does anyone know how many tickets One-up sold for KCL? I bet it wasn't many.

I know there are some actual Bluetones fans in Aberdeen (my neighbour is one of them) did they go to KCL? probably not, cos they were in Moshulu the next night. I know this helped cover the costs, but maybe a few more people would have travelled.

Other main sources of people would be 15-25 year-olds from Elgin, Buckie, Huntly and maybe even Banff. Did these potential punters know about the gig in the first place? The main issues these people would worry about is getting home and getting a kicking fae the dungers. The 2nd one isn't usually an issue unless you've pulled his wife/sister/tractor, but were there busses put on to bring these people in and out, cos I wouldn't fancy trying to get a taxi to Banff and 1am on a busy Saturday in Keith. It can be bad enough trying to get one to the GA.

I agree they this gig started off too big. The running costs of being outdoors in a unfenced field must have been horrendous. For the same costs there could have been a series of Saturday night shows in the Royal hall (great HUBL venue!) or upstairs in the Comm with the same local acts as KCL, maybe even building up to some of the bigger names on the bill in the Longmore hall. crowds maybe wouldn't have been massive, but it would probly make money.

Oh, and one final rant:- Keith Chaos??? What a gay name! It's something my Granda would come up with. Even worse than the Aberdeen City slogans ("Aberdeen, the town to be seen!") people with far too much time have been writing in to the Evening Express with. (Big thumbs down to Aberdeen Journals too for not covering KCL :down::down: )

I'm sorry this is a really negative post, I really don't want to down anyone who worked on this project, because I know you have put so much time and effort into it.

Anyway, all the best to those involved. Please don't give up.

well on the whole it was a pretty successful day though a special mention must go to christie (that pains me to write this) and the mind gone blind boys in making the day run smoothly. but there were some teething problems mind. i always thought the gig lacked one bigger headliner though to be fair there was a good crowd bopping to the bluetones. as per usual the media were reluctant to support something like this. i had a good day despite suffering the worst hangover in years and getting badly sunburnt. i for one hope this festival can become a regular event.

I'm sorry to hear there wasn't a bigger crowd' date=' especially sorry for Steve. He's a good bloke and helped us out a bit when I was in bands at school, I know he put a lot of effort into this.

It's odd that all the youngsters in Keith complain that there is never anything to do, then a great gig comes up and they don't go.

The fact is that this gig had to reach out further than Keith to get any decent crowd. I mean there are only 5,000 people in the town, and I'm damn sure my Grannie didn't go ( Domimic Kirwan would have got her there!). What I'm getting at is there are probably less than 1,000 people in Keith that this gig appealed to, so where was the rest of the expected crowd coming from?

The only advertising of the gig I've seen in Aberdeen has been for the past week at the top of this site. Not everyone in Aberdeen visits this site. Does anyone know how many tickets One-up sold for KCL? I bet it wasn't many.

I know there are some actual Bluetones fans in Aberdeen (my neighbour is one of them) did they go to KCL? probably not, cos they were in Moshulu the next night. I know this helped cover the costs, but maybe a few more people would have travelled.

[/quote']

For the week prior to the gig there were fliers in every One Up Bag, there were 7 ads a day on Northsound and for several weeks prior there were posters just about anywhere that would put them up including all over the Bassment, One Up and Moshulu. You're right, there wasnt many KCL tickets sold in One Up, i do know the exact number and it was a lot less than i'd expect.

Other main sources of people would be 15-25 year-olds from Elgin' date=' Buckie, Huntly and maybe even Banff. Did these potential punters know about the gig in the first place? The main issues these people would worry about is getting home and getting a kicking fae the dungers. The 2nd one isn't usually an issue unless you've pulled his wife/sister/tractor, but were there busses put on to bring these people in and out, cos I wouldn't fancy trying to get a taxi to Banff and 1am on a busy Saturday in Keith. It can be bad enough trying to get one to the GA.

I agree they this gig started off too big. The running costs of being outdoors in a unfenced field must have been horrendous. For the same costs there could have been a series of Saturday night shows in the Royal hall (great HUBL venue!) or upstairs in the Comm with the same local acts as KCL, maybe even building up to some of the bigger names on the bill in the Longmore hall. crowds maybe wouldn't have been massive, but it would probly make money.

Oh, and one final rant:- Keith Chaos??? What a gay name! It's something my Granda would come up with. Even worse than the Aberdeen City slogans ("Aberdeen, the town to be seen!") people with far too much time have been writing in to the Evening Express with. (Big thumbs down to Aberdeen Journals too for not covering KCL :down::down: )

I'm sorry this is a really negative post, I really don't want to down anyone who worked on this project, because I know you have put so much time and effort into it.

Anyway, all the best to those involved. Please don't give up.[/quote']

I agree the name wasnt great but it was tied into the initials of the charity, Keith Cancer Link. Did we start too high, possibly but then again if we'd got some of the bands we spoke to then we wouldnt have a problem. At various times remember we had interest from Keane, Robert Plant, Biffy Clyro and the Levellers, all of whom were considering getting involved we got as far as sorting out a price with Robert Plant's management before he got offered stuff in the US over the time period. Biffy would have played apart from a DF Concerts block. If we'd received even one of these additional names would we have been starting too high. Robert Plant would have had a very big travelling support, we were just unlucky in the way things turned out but we learned a lot of valuable stuff.

I have no idea if it'll go ahead this year but I now have an amazing book of contacts and if it does it could be a lot bigger.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
As part of a research project I'm doing on charity music events' date=' Stuart has kindly agreed to be interviewed by me, so I'm very much looking forward to hear the outcome of this.[/quote']

Have fun interviewing Stuart, just don't ask him about Marillion, Genesis, Midge Ure or other "inoffensive" acts or you'll be there all day. ;)

What Jammer says is pretty much right. That gig with Cayto on our tour was the first we had orgainised. We sold just over 300 tickets and we made about 500 after costs to split with the bands. A lot of that was down to the fact Nick (ex-Deadloss, Taylored Sound I think) only charged us 200 for his amazing pa and expertise, and also the promotion element. We went round town flyering, postering and round the two schools to advertise it.

I didn't see that many posters/flyers etc for the KLC gig but that might just be me. Its shocking that the local paper won't even feature such a large event for the area, especially when its for charity. Not much you can do about that. I thought 20 was too much to ask punters to pay but it seems overheads were really expensive so I understand the pricing.

Please don't give up after one event. I saw enough potential there for something good to happen. Keep trying and good luck in the future.

Blair - Did you guys swing the Town hall at non profit rates btw? I've had a look at doing a Town Hall gig and the prices are quite high and availability is very scarce especially weekends.

We did poster all the surrounding areas but again the tide is turning against events even in the terms of shops willing to put up posters. Take Elgin, I got them up in S&V (who also had tickets), Urbanology, ESP and Morrisons but apart from that it was really hard to get anything else put up apart from staff areas. We also got the library and council covered including the council intranet (plus Aberdeenshire Council) and of course The Northern Scot provided loads of coverage over the last 6 months...but hey.

The Valid nights were great but I think they ground to hall due to lack of suitable venues and those assholes who trashed the bogs in New Elgin Hall. Whenever I see a gig locally (Moray), I try to attend as I know how hard all this shit is to get going but am dissapointed by the general lack of interest and support. There is a strong core of people but we need more.

KCL was a great laugh and showed there is talent around to hold something of this. Just in terms of Keith acts we had Bullit Theory, The Phoenix Band, Blue Gum Ears, Mind Gone Blind and Maria Miller...nae bad for a wee toune. Then of course The Method and SEA from within 20 mile radius.

I hope there's another.

Even the Town Hall seems too far out of the way for folk and your events had to end quite early as everyone bails out to go up to Downtown SATAN. Then you see the likes of Sold On Soul sell out the place...

Talking of acoustics I can't hink of a single place in Elgin that has a good sound

Gigs eh...

Even the Town Hall seems too far out of the way for folk and your events had to end quite early as everyone bails out to go up to Downtown SATAN. Then you see the likes of Sold On Soul sell out the place...

Talking of acoustics I can't hink of a single place in Elgin that has a good sound

Gigs eh...

Elgin city's function room has a good sound. Not huge, but a decent stage. They are also amenable to letting it be used for gigs. Don't know at what cost though.

U2 are charging 15 for a tour programme (hypocrites) on the vertigo tour makes 20 for 12 hours of music look good value to me. I thoroughly enjoyed myself as I did at the Speyside Music Fest and wish people would get behind people like Steve and Andy who organised the 2 events and I think there is enough will on local band front it just needs that apathy to be battered into submission and yes it would help with a more contemparary higher profile act headlining but we will get there.

As for the media P&J needs a dedicated entertainment section like the Northern Scot how about inundating the P&J a letter campaign or such requesting they get their finger out and Grampian news and reporting scotland did bits on air guitar championships and the sky festival in the last weeks but not a sniff about either KCL or SMF.

The Lido Cafe hear for yourself by purchasing 'Shine' a rock platter of taste and distinction recorded there by the lovely diciples of rock Third Floor Rising.

sorry couldn't resist :D