aberdeen-music

Nights with a similar theme, or varied nights?

Guest Bob

What is better, a night of similar bands or a night with varied artists who all play different styled material?

From my persepective it's great to have 4/5 bands who you really like playing together, but if they're too similar I tend to get rather bored. On the other hand, if the bands are too different sometimes I end up sitting through a band I don't like much just to see one I do.

Stayover are playing a gig on Wednesday @ Imagine with We Shall Be Blessed, At Long Last and Within These Walls which is a pretty varied line up. Are these kind of line ups better than say, a night of very similar styled bands?

i think varied since then you get a wider audience and people can check out new genres of music

e.g - someone may go to imagine to see Stayover, and get really into WSBB and realise that its a whole different kind of music that they've never really had the chance to experence before

I like the varied bills also. I remember back in the day that Drakes used to have a lot of varried bills as did Lava. Its more interesting to have some diversity and I think it helps the bands stand out. After 3 hours of punk it can all become a bit bland...well to me anyway...and that applies to any other genre.

When I'm playing live, I far prefer a "themed" night...you're gonna get on better with the other bands, have more in common, probably be telling the truth when you tell them you thought they were great....I've done so many varied line ups over the past few years than I did when i first started playing live that I tend to avoid the other bands I'm playing with these days...and same happens to us...it sucks...

mix the fucker up love BAAARP

It gets a bit tedious seeing 3 hours of one style of music - I recently saw two excellent Ska bands and had enough after 2 1/2 hours.

Seeing 3 different bands like Red Man Walking + THE VIDEOS + the mighty HUMAN Generator is the way to go - you get heard by folk who normally wouldn't see you and often get turned onto bands you wouldn't go out of you way to see.

Diversity is where it's all at - bring on Karloff +Catherine Sawers+ and Potted Heid

I PROMISE NOT TO HECKLE.

When I'm playing live' date=' I far prefer a "themed" night...you're gonna get on better with the other bands, have more in common, probably be telling the truth when you tell them you thought they were great....I've done so many varied line ups over the past few years than I did when i first started playing live that I tend to avoid the other bands I'm playing with these days...and same happens to us...it sucks...[/quote']

Not really beacuse Stayover, At Long Last, WTW and WSBB all got on fine yesterday and helped each other out and talked away fine to each other...

Aye good banter and one of those gigs where people are all willing to help out. I even managed to grab a lone of a tuner for a while which was cool. It makes the night a lot more enjoyable when the other bands are approachable/helpfull. I think it helped that a lot of people knew each other as well.