aberdeen-music

Johnny Cash

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest bluesxman

I recommend all of the 'American Recordings' albums, he does fantastic versions of other peoples songs - his version of U2's One is incredible, and you have to hear his version of Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, when I saw it on the tracklist I wondered how the hell he could manage to cover that but it's brilliant! I'm a Cash fanatic....

Guest Tam o' Shantie

stop deducting scene points from me you pricks, i wasn't glorifying drug use you cocks. I think it was quite honest, open and pretty tough of him to have the balls to sing openly about taking him considering this was on national television in the 60s. I don't idolise him for taking drugs. fucking wanks.

Am I the only one who gets monumentally pissed off at the way his career seems to be defined these days by a handful of covers albums he made in his twilight years' date=' and nobody seems to care much about all his OWN stuff?

Seems a bit shit to me.[/quote']

NO, no you're not.

The covers of those songs he did towards the end of his career are no where near his best stuff...Mind you, I dont think Cash is all that great anyway, but he definatley has far better songs than limp covers of Hurt and One etc.

they certainly were a shrewd move to folks into his music, do you think we'd be discussing johnny cash if he DIDN'T do those LP's ?

I say "good on him". (and mr Ruben).

I hear you, I too once used to think "their old stuff is the best" with every band I liked that got jumped on by the populace...I learned to let it go.

It might be true, just be glad that more people are into him now, and they can go on and discover his old classic stuff. nes pas ?

they certainly were a shrewd move to folks into his music' date=' do you think we'd be discussing johnny cash if he DIDN'T do those LP's ?

[/quote']

Well, its not as if Johnny Cash wasnt a household name before that. But yeah, good on anyone who gets into Cash, which should open up doors for them to listen to other acts from similar scenes.

I'd disagree, I'd say he was very underrated, sure, he had lots of records, and plenty of people knew about him, but not the younger generation, and I was kind of talking about that, not the "country" side of his fan base...

I should be more specific !

Guest bluesxman
Am I the only one who gets monumentally pissed off at the way his career seems to be defined these days by a handful of covers albums he made in his twilight years' date=' and nobody seems to care much about all his OWN stuff?

Seems a bit shit to me.[/quote']

They weren't JUST covers albums, they contained his own compositions as well.....the first Cash album I bought was the Live at Folsom/Live at San Quentin CD and I own shed loads of his older stuff. I found it fun to buy the American Recordings albums and see what he had chosen to cover, it's not like he was choosing cheesy chart crap in an effort to make a quick buck, his choices were unusual and artists such as Nick Cave, Danzig and Soundgarden are hardly mainstream concerns.

The Love, God, Murder box set is a superb intro to his older stuff in themed collections if you can find it. The Unearthed 5 CD set which stemmed from the American Recordings sessions is also well worth the money.

A few choice cover versions to me is a fine way to be introduced to an artist who may otherwise be dismissed as just a country singer and hence avoided - he was more than just people's standard idea of country music.

Guest bluesxman
I recommend all of the 'American Recordings' albums' date=' he does fantastic versions of other peoples songs - his version of U2's One is incredible, and you have to hear his version of Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, when I saw it on the tracklist I wondered how the hell he could manage to cover that but it's brilliant! I'm a Cash fanatic....[/quote']

Not that I particularly care about the whole scene points thing, but can someone decipher how I received 'somewhat negative reputation' and comments on drugs not being 'kewl' from what I posted above?