aberdeen-music

Goodbye Hoodies?

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

Some of this is just hysterical.

Britain forward, not back remember...

Prescott backing hooded tops ban

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has backed the shopping centre which has outlawed hooded tops and baseball caps.

The move at Bluewater shopping centre in Kent is part of a crackdown on anti-social behaviour.

Mr Prescott said hoods were part of an "intimidating" uniform and said he had nearly fallen foul of "happy slapping"' date=' where attacks on passers-by are filmed.

His comments are significant as his department will be in charge of a drive for more "respect" in communities.

Intimidation

Managers at Bluewater have drawn up a code of conduct for the centre and people contravening it will be asked to leave the complex.

Guidelines say intimidating behaviour by groups or individuals, anti-social behaviour including swearing, and wearing clothing which deliberately obscures the face such as hooded tops and baseball caps, will not be allowed.

Mr Prescott said his personal experience made him agree with the move.

"I went to a motorway cafe about a year ago and some kid said something to me," he said.

"I said 'what did you say?' and he came back with 10 people with hoods, you know, these fellas with hoods on.

"He came at me in a very intimidating manner but, of course, I now have security control. They appeared and they vanished.

"But what struck me about it is not only did they come with these kind of uniform, as it is, but they came with a kind of movie camera to take a film of any such incident.

"I found that very alarming. I think the fact you go around with these hats and these covers... I mean, it is a uniform, in a sense.

"It is intimidating and I rather welcome what they have done there at Bluewater."

Mr Blair announced in his reshuffle last week that David Miliband would concentrate on the issue of respect while working in Mr Prescott's department.

It has been suggested that there would be a whole new department for communities and that Mr Prescott had fought off the idea. [/quote']

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

This little section had me laughing quite hard

"I went to a motorway cafe about a year ago and some kid said something to me' date='" he said.

"I said 'what did you say?' and he came back with 10 people with hoods, you know, these fellas with hoods on.

"He came at me in a very intimidating manner but, of course, I now have security control. They appeared and they vanished. [/quote']

I mean this is the Deputy Prime Minister for goodness sake

Guest tv tanned

I read it as banning hooded tops, not wearing hoods up. I have a couple of hooded tops as well.

I'm not a huge fan of caps myself admittedly, but I wear a baseball cap on occasion.

Why do we continue to label people as trouble makers based on their clothing?

It's no different to the 'all muslims are terrorsits' mentality.

Guest MarkJDelaney
Getting rid of baseball caps in a country where no-one plays baseball seems reasonable

Well that's where you're wrong. Because people do play baseball in this country - there are teams, leagues and training/coaching is available. Not to mention the countless amount of people who play it as a hobby sport with mates, including myself.

But emm.. say there was no baseball in the UK. You're saying no one should wear a baseball cap because the sport isn't played? That's stupid. Ok, so "you're" not allowed to wear any sort of skate/surf/snow brand because you don't skate, surf or snowboard - and this includes trainers! Oh, and you can stop wearing those retro hi-top Nike and Adidas kicks, 'cause you're not in the '70/80s playing basketball. You see the point I'm making if your statement was true? It doesn't really hold up does it.

Guest haigyman
"Calum Haig is gay" - Aberdeen University toilet graffiti (Taylor block A bottom floor Regent end to be specific)

...um, ok, aside from that being hilarious...what does it have to do with this thread?

Guest tv tanned
Banning a style of clothing is strange' date=' surely its the people, not the clothes they wear?

I was robbed by a hooded top! :rolleyes:[/quote']

clothes don't kill people, people do, with clothes

Guest MarkJDelaney
Believe it or not' date=' I wasn't being entirely serious.

When I said "no-one" plays baseball in this country, I'll admit that a thought raced through my mind;

"Hmmm...what if a baseball player in the UK reads this and takes exception? Dare I risk it?"

Sorry for any distress I may have inadvertently caused. :cheers:[/quote']

Haha, okay fair enough. I thought I'd best defend the baseball players though!

If they're going to ban hooded tops then they're going to have to pay for a whole new wardrobe for me because I have nothing else warm to wear on my top half.

I just hope they don't ban baggy jeans too, because then I'd have to go around naked :/

Just adding: I'm greatly amused at the scene points I gained for this post.

Guest MarkJDelaney

And again, if they used the same logic - the country might as well start banning other clothed types. What about guys in suits with briefcases, they've been known to old aged pensioners out of thousands of pounds of money at their front door! It could go on and on and on...

Guest tv tanned
Lol' date=' I should have known not to post that :p

You should have come out last night (or Friday) - I was wearing a skirt!!!![/quote']

Perils of having nae money quine.

Perils of having nae money quine.

I have no money either. You can have a pretty cheap night out drinking water and using a free entry flyer to get into moshulu. Unfortunately taxis home are incredibly expensive.. but still 10 or so total for a night out isn't gonna break the bank :p

Guest tv tanned
I have no money either. You can have a pretty cheap night out drinking water and using a free entry flyer to get into moshulu. Unfortunately taxis home are incredibly expensive.. but still 10 or so total for a night out isn't gonna break the bank :p

Yes, but such things require discipline, which I don't have very much of at all.

Besides, usually I walk it or get the late night bus for 2