aberdeen-music

Five For Today

Time Machine

Guest Nikola Tesla

Some Girls Have All The Fuck : Some Girls

I slept with the daughters and all I got was this lousy song written about me : The Daughters

Let Them Drown: Beecher

Cheerleader corpses : Pig Destroyer

Eyes : Army Of Flying Robots

Guest bluesxman
Quality stuff from the much-underrated Sound Affects.

:cheers: My favourite Jam album! Can't understand the constant reference to All Mod Cons being their best...but then it's a personal thing I guess....

Yeah, I think it's top. I've heard it described as 'their Revolver', whatever weight you want to put on to that statement! Wonderful band. I was lucky enough to be given a shottie of the box set when I was relatively young, and so heard their entire back catalogue, which was cool! 'Direction, Reaction, Creation' it's called. Now have it on MP3. Some amazing b-sides and cover versions. 'Butterfly Collector' is magic as are the cover versions of 'Stand By Me' and The Beatles 'Rain', a brilliant b-side in its own right. I reckon I would've been a huge Jam fan had I been alive then! They had a bit of everything. Their music spoke for itself, and they also had a bit of rock 'n' roll cool, perhaps aided by their heavy reliance on Mod culture, which I find fascinating.

Guest bluesxman
Yeah' date=' I think it's top. I've heard it described as 'their Revolver', whatever weight you want to put on to that statement! Wonderful band. I was lucky enough to be given a shottie of the box set when I was relatively young, and so heard their entire back catalogue, which was cool! 'Direction, Reaction, Creation' it's called. Now have it on MP3. Some amazing b-sides and cover versions. 'Butterfly Collector' is magic as are the cover versions of 'Stand By Me' and The Beatles 'Rain', a brilliant b-side in its own right. I reckon I would've been a huge Jam fan had I been alive then! They had a bit of everything. Their music spoke for itself, and they also had a bit of rock 'n' roll cool, perhaps aided by their heavy reliance on Mod culture, which I find fascinating.[/quote']

My first ever Jam purchase was one of those old two on one cassetees you used to get which had Sound Affects and The Gift, love them both but Sound Affects more so. Still got a vinyl copy of the Snap compilation which I want to update to CD but Compact Snap has stuff missing so it fits a single CD. Never got round to getting the box set!

The MC5 are rubbish' date=' note I didn't put them in my 60s/70s Detroit/New York list yesterday, because they are rubbish. I was rocking to a bit of No Fun yesterday, tho

1, Slow Fade - Teenage Fanclub

[b']2, For A Smile - Cosmic Rough Riders

3, Play Dead - Astrid

4, Days Run Away - House of Love

5, Never Understand - The Jesus and Mary Chain

Alas, I don't own a floral blouse, but if I did, by Christ I'd be wearing it today

Give it a rest now.

Haha, no i take music as having it's value whether it be 3 (sometimes even 2) minute pop songs or 30 minutes long. You should know better. But unlike you i don't go through stupid phases where i think something has merit purely because it is a 3 minute condensed pop song. It actually has to be a good song for me. I don't force myself to say i like things which i don't and which i will tear to shreds in a couple of weeks time. It's just a sad stab at controversy on your behalf.

Haha' date=' no i take music as having it's value whether it be 3 (sometimes even 2) minute pop songs or 30 minutes long. You should know better. But unlike you i don't go through stupid phases where i think something has merit purely because it is a 3 minute condensed pop song. It actually has to be a good song for me. I don't force myself to say i like things which i don't and which i will tear to shreds in a couple of weeks time. It's just a sad stab at controversy on your behalf.[/quote']

I undoubtedly go thru phases, and they change all the time, which is all the better because there is nothing in the pop canon worth dwelling on. Also, as I don't own albums by these artists, I like to listen a bunch of different songs from the same movement (in this case the retro-pop movement). The Rough Riders fit with this, tho they may be it's weakest example

I suppose you are just saying you are listening to them, you didn't say they were any good. Nothing wrong with going through phases but it is stupid to disregard anything which isn't part of that phase and to indisriminately like anything that fits the genre.

Anyway my list:

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute (get it up ya)

Hot Hot Heat - Island of the Honest Man (watch out! pop music!)

...in fact it's been very poppy today...

Hot Hot Heat - Jingle Jangle

Hot Hot Heat - Middle of Nowhere

M83 - Can't Stop

You'll see the band in a whole new light' date=' particularly Weller.......... NAAAATURALLY! :D[/quote']

Bollocks, I bet you love a bit of Dadrock.

Is that boxset the one that's chronologically ordered, and has a live version of "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" on it? That performance is punk's defining moment (sorry to seem like Punk's Arch-Theorist)

1. Waiting For The Man - The Velvet Underground

2. Chicken Payback - The Bees

3. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others - The Smiths

4. Victoria - The Kinks

5. Hopelessly Devoted To Them - The Housemartins

I was listening to that and my bro came in my room and says "What's this gay shit singing about?", listened for a sec and goes "Well obviously, what a fag!"

Anyway,

1. The Smiths - I Know Its Over

2. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah/I Know Its Over Medley

3. Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life

4. The Departure - Lump In My Throat

5. At the Drive-In - This Night Has Opened My Eyes (Smiths cover)