aberdeen-music

what's happened to roddy woomble's teeth?

Aileen

surely they weren't always that gappy and......."punched in the face" looking?

he used to be so beautiful :(

They were.

He lost most of his teeth during the "Captain" era Idlewild, where he would frequently smack his mouth into the microphone. He lost a fair few of his front teeth during this time. From "Hope Is Important" era onwards you'll notice that he (and Rod) have used mics with furry covers over them to prevent any more tooth loss.

Ahh, the good old days, when Idlewild played thrashy punk instead of fucking folk songs. Them were the days..................

Guest tv tanned

ah come on Marsh, sure we can all reminisce about the 'good old days' but surely some bands make conscious decisions to mature, and it isn't always a bad thing?

Although the one and only time I saw Idlewild was during their mental era...

ah come on Marsh' date=' sure we can all reminisce about the 'good old days' but surely some bands make conscious decisions to mature, and it isn't always a bad thing?

Although the one and only time I saw Idlewild was during their mental era...[/quote']

Every band is allowed to mature and that is fine. Just don't expect me to buy any folk trash. Maturing as a band / songwriter ain't always a bad thing, but in this case I think it's a terrible thing.

In any case Roddy Woomble has admitted that the band's sound has changed pretty dramatically over the years and acknowledges this has lost them a lot of fans (and obviously gained them many too.) He said it's best for those fans who like the earlier stuff to move on. I have. I don't buy their records anymore. I don't go and see them live anymore. I have sly digs at them now and again for turning into a country band, but it doesn't really bother me. I've got my older stuff that I can still listen to.

Was it Glow you saw them at? If I remember rightly it was! That was one helluva gig! Some of Roddy's teeth were defo lost at that one! :p

luckily aileen loves both thrashy punk AND folk!

hooray for idlewild :D

Good on ya. I wish I even remotely liked the new stuff, as I'd go and see them play the older stuff, but it frankly offends me what they write and record nowadays.

But each to their own, so hope you enjoyed the gig the other day and, hey, they're fellow Scots so I hope they continue to do well!

Useles info: My sis used to go out with Rod from Idlewild's ex - flatmate - me and Rob (screamingzombiehell) got backstage the first time they played the Music Hall! They are fine fella's and Colin even had his Mum and Dad backstage with him! But seriously, they were really nice guys and let us drink a fair bit of their rider! Result! Only time I've been backstage at the Music Hall!

Good on ya. I wish I even remotely liked the new stuff' date=' as I'd go and see them play the older stuff, but it frankly offends me what they write and record nowadays.

Useles info: My sis used to go out with Rod from Idlewild's ex - flatmate - me and Rob (screamingzombiehell) got backstage the first time they played the Music Hall! They are fine fella's and Colin even had his Mum and Dad backstage with him! But seriously, they were really nice guys and let us drink a fair bit of their rider! Result! Only time I've been backstage at the Music Hall![/quote']

thing is, even when they perform the new stuff, roddy totally mellows the vocals down so even if you did see them for the occasional old song, it wouldnt quite be the same.

im pretty sure when i saw them at the music hall roddy's mum and dad were there cos maxi started shouting some shit at them, thanking them for giving birth to roddy!

twas a joyous night!

Guest stuartmaxwell

if they cant write folk stuff as good as in remote part then they shouldnt bother, seems like a step backwards

HII era was great for me, before they got session musicians in to add clutter to the sound.

i did dig 100 bw though, a fab album!

if they cant write folk stuff as good as in remote part then they shouldnt bother' date=' seems like a step backwards

HII era was great for me, before they got session musicians in to add clutter to the sound.

i did dig 100 bw though, a fab album![/quote']

In Remote Part is not really folk tho.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i would disagree, the first few mins are...

when they were writing the remote part, ALL songs were written acoustically in a remote highlands somewhere...

funny that since they started doing that things began to go tits up...

i remember seeign a quote from craig b (aereogramme) somewhere and it said " we dont want to be like idlewild, who woke up one day and said, fuck it, lets go get famous and rich" or something to that effect when asked "have you never thought of coining a song that is suitable for daytime radio?"

What? No jokes about Woomble losing teeth while sucking the corporate cock? :D

I like the old and new stuff - I guess we can wait with baited breath for the day when Idlewild hold a show in Glasgow to play 'Hope Is Important' in it's entirety as is the current trend again ;)

Guest stuartmaxwell
Plenty of their pre-Remote Part songs ARE suitable for daytime radio though' date=' Maxi.[/quote']

im not saying it wasnt

i was just using a quote which had (roughly) been said

i like 100bw and i like some of the remote part

but the new album is simply rubbish in my opinion

it is bland alt.country folk bollocks with some of the most monotonous, whiney faux american "molodies", daytime radio or not, the fact of the matter is that these songs are far weaker than most they have done, its quite frustrating that they are bugger than ever now on the back of these poor songs. they sound like the fucking goo goo dolls

i watched that glow 303 gig from their dressing room (where the balcony used to be).

it was a great gig as i remember. i was lucky..

i don't really like them anymore, but i have all their singles that they released on cd (from hope is important until 100 broken windows). if anyone wishes to purchase any of these off me, i'll consider selling them for the right price (generally the more rare ones would be slightly more).

i also have a signed drum skin used on the 1998 tour, a signed copy of HII and a signed poster (i was a bit of a fan in those days).

I am going to be a bitty bias here cause i think the new album is great, but if everybody who is slating their new material had seen them at the music hall, i think your opinions would change on the matter. On the last tour i was pretty worried about them as the lack of movement from them was awful. However, the recent gig has restored any doubts i ever had about them live, as they are putting in alot more energy these days and playing the tightest shows of their lives!! The new material sounded alot heavier live, and really suprised me as the songs came acorss so strong and you would've porbably realised why they released the album.

Has anyone heard the b-side to the new single. It is really really good!! It's very upbeat and pop but it's fantastic. It's being played more than the actual single on radio, and why it never made the album i'll never know.

j.turgenev - i would be really interested in buying those singles from you. Give me a pm with prices...

and if you know of anyone with old/new live footage please get me in contact with them as i have been searching for videos of them live but it's tough!

all hail idlewild! the greatest thing to come out of scotland since mel gibson!

Didn't the play self healer on the last tour? I'm sure they did because I almost regretted not taking the free ticket I was offered. I heard the remote part and cried, then some stuff grew on me, then it grew moldy. Fair play though, i think I have the Gary lightbody thing going for Roddy though, too nice to begrudge. Plus, I can think of worse bands I would be forced to hear walking past radio's.

im not saying it wasnt

i was just using a quote which had (roughly) been said

i like 100bw and i like some of the remote part

but the new album is simply rubbish in my opinion

it is bland alt.country folk bollocks with some of the most monotonous' date=' whiney faux american "molodies", daytime radio or not, the fact of the matter is that these songs are far weaker than most they have done, its quite frustrating that they are bugger than ever now on the back of these poor songs. they sound like the fucking goo goo dolls[/quote']

I doubt you do find it frustrating.