aberdeen-music

British Sea Power - Open Season

Larsen B

Why has nobody raved about this album yet? It's absolutely sublime and a big step up from their debut. They write better melodies now although it's a bit of shame that they sound a bit less abstract. I reckon it's the second best album of the year so far. My fave songs would have to be It Ended On an Oily Stage, Be Gone, North Hanging Rock and the Land Beyond. Hamilton three vocal performances are all excellent.

Anyone share my enthusiasm?

They recently accused Razorlight of stealing their use of trees and Jonny Shitteeth Borrell came up with some "witty" remark about how watching them would be a waste of drinking time. Is he not able to watch a band and drink at the same time? Suppose it must be difficult getting the glass past his teeth and to his lips.

Jonny Shitteeth Borrell came up with some "witty" remark about how watching them would be a waste of drinking time. Is he not able to watch a band and drink at the same time? Suppose it must be difficult getting the glass past his teeth and to his lips.

HAHAHAHA!

i don't have the new album yet.. i'm bad.. just wondered how much different it was from the first one?

Why has nobody raved about this album yet? It's absolutely sublime and a big step up from their debut. They write better melodies now although it's a bit of shame that they sound a bit less abstract. I reckon it's the second best album of the year so far. My fave songs would have to be It Ended On an Oily Stage' date=' Be Gone, North Hanging Rock and the Land Beyond. Hamilton three vocal performances are all excellent.

Anyone share my enthusiasm?[/quote']

yeah it's brilliant.amazing live show as well

Aah, British Sea Power, my favouritist band in the whole wide world.

I was first turned onto them by a good friend from the Polyphonic Spree forum, we had met up with each other for three Spree gigs in the summer of 2003 and she had just seen BSP for the first time and was raving about them.

As soon as I got home I d/led a couple of tracks and was much impressed, imagine my delight when I discovered they were actually playing a gig in Aberdeen. Myself and my usual Aberdeen gig partner enjoyed them for the first time on the 29th of May 2003 at Lava, along with about 20 other people. I was hooked.

Bought "The Decline of..." on the day of release, joined the BSP forum and started liasing with my Spree buddy on a wee bout of stalking. A week away to see them play Dublin, Cork, Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow followed in October, the first time I could get off from work.

We met up again in November and saw them in Nottingham, Leeds, Lincoln and Cardiff. The next time I could make a gig was their 2003 New Year extravaganza in London, where they played along with The Brakes and The Pipettes and we were also entertained by the Club Sea Power DJs from Brighton.

Alas my friendship with my Spree buddy floundered, as these things tend to do, and I ended up taking a year away from the BSP forum and their gigs also, but the power of the sea is strong and I was sucked back again this year.

Drove through horrendous snow in February to Grasmere in the Lake District to see them play a tiny wee village hall, I was once again blown away by their live performance. Being unable to afford another tour of the UK to see them one had to make do with the Liquid Roooms gig in Edina for the next fix.

However some jigerrypokery with my leave from work, and some sly selling of some rare records on ebay has resulted in me being able to do one or two more trips. May 27th in London, an evening of Sea Power delight, again including the Brakes and Club Sea Power Djs. Then my probable farewell to the magnificent world of BSP stalking will be in Dublin on the 7th of June, where they share the bill with Sons & Daughters.

Stalking is addictive though, and one will be switching allegiance to the aforementioned Sons & Daughters!! Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee in quick succession, so Dublin seems like a nice kind of transition gig between the two bands!

As for the thread topic, Open Season is indeed a top album, took a while for it to grow on me as it's not quite as intense as The Decline of..., and obviously having heard the earlier tracks live on so many occasions, with so many good friends, they kinda emote strongly with me. I just hope with this LP and their recent dalliance in the hit parade with Oily Stage that they finally start to get the recognition they trully deserve.

Look out for the single release of Please Stand Up on the 23rd of May. :D

That's me and Neil (bass) in my avatar btw, mumu friend of the stars ;)

<edit> forgot to say, I have a couple or three live gigs on mp3 if anyone wants them, PM me and we can so some soulseeking together ;)