aberdeen-music

last night at the moorings

ben_1903

make a hundred quid a gig or whatever...

he he :cheers:

Nothing great about being paid a hundred quid a gig - I'm sure if we could, we would.. Unfortunately, in the real world, touring/out of town bands who don't bring an audience themselves need to be paid too. If you're doing a UK tour, wouldn't it be pretty shitty if you got paid 40 while the local support took 100 each, even though you've done far more than the local support has?

The vast majority of musicians on here will tell you that playing a support on a satisfying lineup matters far more than payment - for instance, you could play a packed show at Drummonds with Stranded and another rentacrowd local band, but when it comes to some A&R man asking "so, who have you played with?"..he's not gonna be impressed by a couple of bands who do well in *one* provincial city - but if you can quote a list of good headlining bands (like MMW can), then it's bound to help their cause.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make a hundred quid a gig or whatever...

Nothing great about being paid a hundred quid a gig - I'm sure if we could' date=' we would.. Unfortunately, in the real world, touring/out of town bands who don't bring an audience themselves need to be paid too. If you're doing a UK tour, wouldn't it be pretty shitty if you got paid 40 while the local support took 100 each, even though you've done far more than the local support has?

The vast majority of musicians on here will tell you that playing a support on a satisfying lineup matters far more than payment - for instance, you could play a packed show at Drummonds with Stranded and another rentacrowd local band, but when it comes to some A&R man asking "so, who have you played with?"..he's not gonna be impressed by a couple of bands who do well in *one* provincial city - but if you can quote a list of good headlining bands (like MMW can), then it's bound to help their cause.[/quote']

well said i very much doubt you saying you got 100 for a gig will do you as much good as saying you have supported some good acts. At this level what does money matter that much anyway yes it would be nice to get paid heaps for every gig but gettin on stage is what matters not how much you go away with in your pocket afterwards.

Erm sense of humour or not' date=' face it mate - you're just not funny.[/quote']

1) Im not your mate

2) Im not funny but Jake is, thus a lot of laughter at out gigs, want camcorder evidence? :ding:

3) Your Homophobic remarks make me wonder, are you racist too?

Saturday was a quality night, and that last band were hugely entertaining: the lead singer looked like he worked for the Clydesdale Bank until he started interacting" with the crowd. As novelty acts go they beat the shit out of The Bloody Marys.

My only complaint was someone walked off with my peppered vodka...

Anyone else noticed that Hog hasn't actually denied making that retort? :D

He's terrible, every time I see him he asks me the same thing. :nono:

1) Im not your mate

2) Im not funny but Jake is' date=' thus a lot of laughter at out gigs, want camcorder evidence? :ding:

3) Your Homophobic remarks make me wonder, are you racist too?[/quote']

Ha...offering video evidence of funnyness....handbags

Hog, he called you a fag. Which is a tad homophobic but bringing racism into such an argument is totally pointless.

Lets just leave it there folks. :cheers:

You havnt been around long enough to slag off SPD. And as one of the promoters of your first gig... Was it your first gig? It certainly seemed like it. ...is the bassist for that band, and you've already made a completely false comment about him already, I should watch where you're going with this.

Write your next song about one of these three topics:

1) The woes of puberty

2) Hubba Bubba chewing gum

3) Getting your first training bra

That should reel 'em in!!

As opposed to :

1) Slaying the dragon and rescuing the damsel in distress

2) Getting a new suit of armour from Christmas then realising it says 'playskool' on the tag

3) Getting turned down at the school disco by roberta, the girl who used to date her first cousin.

4) The day someone torched Games Workshop.

;)

Guest Cowboy Dan

Why "hog" is rubbish.

1. He is old.

2. He is bald.

3. He is ugly.

4. Although he tries to disguise it by making a joke of it, he is genuinely desperate and masturbates over several different female members of the forums regularly.

5. He thinks his band are funny and are part of some sort of music revolution.

6. He pays for sex frequently.

7. His actual intelligence is that of a young child.

8. He doesn't know the difference between "you're" and "your"

9. He thinks if you call someone a "fag", you're racist.

10. He calls himself "hog".

As opposed to :

1) Slaying the dragon and rescuing the damsel in distress

2) Getting a new suit of armour from Christmas then realising it says 'playskool' on the tag

3) Getting turned down at the school disco by roberta' date=' the girl who used to date her first cousin.

4) The day someone torched Games Workshop.

;)[/quote']

Haha, do you mind if I use the first one for my next song?? Number 3 isn't power metal at all though....

Here's my Emo list - watch out for the next MMW song ;)

1) Fluffly the hamster died on his exercise wheel, and how you cried for a month.

2) Getting dumped by a girlfriend who you have been going out with for 2 days, then crying for 3 months.

3) Looking at a rainbow, and wondering why it frowns all the time - then crying about it for 6 months.

4) Being told that the O.C. has been cancelled and you'll never find out if that bitch sucks that other guy off in the end, while still crying about it 3 years later!

;);)

Why "hog" is rubbish.

1. He is old.

2. He is bald.

3. He is ugly.

4. Although he tries to disguise it by making a joke of it' date=' he is genuinely desperate and masturbates over several different female members of the forums regularly.

10. He calls himself "hog".[/quote']

If it wasn't for number 5 on that list, I would have thought that Hog was your mother.

You havnt been around long enough to slag off SPD. And as one of the promoters of your first gig... Was it your first gig? It certainly seemed like it. ...is the bassist for that band' date=' and you've already made a completely false comment about him already, I should watch where you're going with this.[/quote']

1. - I'm sorry, i'm not 'scene' enough to be opposed to the behaviour of a band am I?

2. It wasn't our first gig, but appreciate if our music isn't to your taste.

3. I did not accuse kirk of making the stupid comment. I said that the girl though it was the bassist. When i found out it nwasn't kirk, I appologised immediately!!

I've nothing against any member of SPD, I just wasn't very fond ouf what they did on saturday night.

Whats your point caller?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i just got told about the stayover joke.......fuck you spike pile driver and all your bullshit i hate you and everything you stand for' date=' with your cheap napalm death wanbe songs........see this is how a knob would reply, personally i dont think ive laughed as much as when stu told me that im guessing it must of came from the hogster??[/quote']

No, it was me. Scorge made me tell it, after he assured me you'd take it well as opposed to throwing a hissy fit. Good lad. Point for you.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

The usual multiple pages of mince about us, but this one in particular stood out. I don't know what the deal is about "unoriginal" being repeatedly levelled at us, but none of us have ever fucking claimed to be original. We enjoy what we do, end of. If you like it, great. If you don't, don't expect us to lose sleep over it. You can't please everyone, so good job we don't give a shit about pleasing anyone. The gig went fine, sold a good few CD's and tapes, and that's good enough for me.

Why "hog" is rubbish.

1. He is old.

2. He is bald.

3. He is ugly.

4. Although he tries to disguise it by making a joke of it' date=' he is genuinely desperate and masturbates over several different female members of the forums regularly.

10. He calls himself "hog".[/quote']

1) Yeah Im 28, better get my pension

2) True, I love being bald

3) Damn right Im ugly but contrary to popular belief, I do get laid now and again, just like Toms girlfriend

4) Im MSN mates with 5 ladies on Ab-music, ask them if I have ever seriously tried it on.

5) My band are funny, thus the laughter, camcorder footage? or did you not read that?

6) I have never paid for sex although myself, Jester and Marillion boy went to a strip club after the SPD gig

7) I get along alright

8) Sorry my spelling is not fit for a higher English exam. I didnt realise that its important to spell everything properly on this site

9) You misinterpret to suit yourself

10) Hog is actually my name! Well Scott Hogg.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
1. - I'm sorry' date=' i'm not 'scene' enough to be opposed to the behaviour of a band am I?

I've nothing against any member of SPD, I just wasn't very fond ouf what they did on saturday night.

[/quote']

I've nothing against any member of Tears Of Grace, I just wasn't very fond of what they did on Saturday night, i.e. bore the tits off me with limp, boring pop music. Doesn't mean I feel the need to start a thread whinging about it. You're opposed to our behaviour? Tough shit son, that's life I'm afraid. Not everyone is going to like you, and so what? It doesn't matter.

*ahem* "unprofessional" - What are you refering to?

well critisising the band that gave u the gig to start with is never very clever, but she may have also ment the way you went about yourself at the gig that may have shown your band to be a band with very few if any gigs under your belt. Your singer looked very nervous and static also another sign of a band who hasnt giged alot, do i need to go on or do you get the point now??

1) Yeah Im 28' date=' better get my pension

2) True, I love being bald

3) Damn right Im ugly but contrary to popular belief, I do get laid now and again, just like Toms girlfriend

4) Im MSN mates with 5 ladies on Ab-music, ask them if I have ever seriously tried it on.

5) My band are funny, thus the laughter, camcorder footage? or did you not read that?

6) I have never paid for sex although myself, Jester and Marillion boy went to a strip club after the SPD gig

7) I get along alright

8) Sorry my spelling is not fit for a higher English exam. I didnt realise that its important to spell everything properly on this site

9) You misinterpret to suit yourself

10) Hog is actually my name! Well Scott Hogg.[/quote']

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

well critisising the band that gave u the gig to start with is never very clever' date=' but she may have also ment the way you went about yourself at the gig that may have shown your band to be a band with very few if any gigs under your belt. Your singer looked very nervous and static also another sign of a band who hasnt giged alot, do i need to go on or do you get the point now??[/quote']

Thank you Milner. Exactly what I would say.

As a member of the GFN? Collective I wouldnt want to give you guys another gig for a while, but as only one of four, I cant really say we wouldnt. Your attitude on here has backed up my point. I did go down to the front and watched you guys as I was interested in seeing this new band. But the stage presence made me feel quite awkward watching you. I did stay til the end of the set, and, FYI the kind of music you play doesnt put me off you. I never said anything about my taste in music, so you shouldn't have just assumed I didnt like you cus of the style of music you play.

I may just be looking for points to slag you off though to get back at you for that Broken Sunshine comment... But I dont think, after seeing your band, that I really need to think too hard to get my own back. But anyway, most of this is coming from my promoter side, rather than my band side. I've heard it all before so your Broken Sunshine comment didnt really affect me, especially now after seeing your band.

SPD did a kick ass gig... from what I remmber.... :D ... tears of grace sucked big time...the other two bands just bored me.... SPD made the night for me... they made me laugh... ok the dude called em emo... but what the hell... I got to shout "ricky's one man band" at them and not get a beat down.... so its all good.... :D

~Ricky's One Man Band~

well critisising the band that gave u the gig to start with is never very clever' date=' but she may have also ment the way you went about yourself at the gig that may have shown your band to be a band with very few if any gigs under your belt. Your singer looked very nervous and static also another sign of a band who hasnt giged alot, do i need to go on or do you get the point now??[/quote']

*sigh* :rolleyes::nono: