aberdeen-music

Where to record

Ian

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scorge Spike
Foyer probably can't be beaten for price! Its 14 an hour for recording with engineer last I checked....

Prob where the 1st Ascension demo will emerge from but we shall see

Incorrect' date=' we're going here.

Start saving. :D

Hehe...chers! We recorded at Exile studios with producer (and owner) Mark Nicol, knows his stuff, has produced almost every local band at some point, well worth a look!!

As for next gig...inept 303 is on indefinite hiatus... :down:

http://www.garageband.com/inept303

BUt yes mark my words, Straight Eight Studios will be "The shit"! Just need to find somewhere big enough to house our SSL and NEVE consoles ... heh heh.. :D

All well noted! so would these places be above the quality of toms or just cheaper?

hows that place in banchory?

the place in clola is excellant but it is 25 to 30 bux an hour which i think makes it very hard to concentrate on the musicianship and detail of a recording when you feel you have to fight with the clock against you!

Hehe...chers! We recorded at Exile studios with producer (and owner) Mark Nicol' date=' knows his stuff, has produced almost every local band at some point, well worth a look!!

[url']http://www.garageband.com/inept303

BUt yes mark my words, Straight Eight Studios will be "The shit"! Just need to find somewhere big enough to house our SSL and NEVE consoles ... heh heh.. :D

My fucking garage is bigger than my house if had the money i would convert that into a studio..................... but, as always skint as a fart! :down:

still it gets used as a rehearsal room (Garage rock :rockon: ) lol

drink house :cheers:

and smoke house :gringo: lol

Home is the best place to record, if you have the skills, although drumkits should be recorded in a studio unless you really know your shit. I suppose it's different for us, as Steve and I both have about 7 years of home recording experience, and our producer Mikey has the same, (but he has 3 co-productions released in the last year). But it really is worth learning those skills if you can, it makes you free.

Home is the best place to record' date=' if you have the skills, although drumkits should be recorded in a studio unless you really know your shit. I suppose it's different for us, as Steve and I both have about 7 years of home recording experience, and our producer Mikey has the same, (but he has 3 co-productions released in the last year). But it really is worth learning those skills if you can, it makes you free.[/quote']

Must be pretty expensive to start home recording tho we own enough equipment to put on small gigs but what sort of things do you look for when trying to set up a home recording studio ( am oretty clueless when it comes to that) and what sort of price range do you look at.

A friend of mine pretty much converted his house into a studio (he was time served sparky so he knew alot about electrical stuff) costing him almost 30k yet the recordings still did nt sound that great. infact the band he was in at the time decided to scrap their original recordings of 2 months of work and went down to cava studios in glasgow to record a four track demo! think it cost them almost a grand for one day!

Hehe...chers! We recorded at Exile studios with producer (and owner) Mark Nicol' date=' knows his stuff, has produced almost every local band at some point, well worth a look!!

[url']http://www.garageband.com/inept303

whats up with inept 303? why indefinite hiatus

definatly one of the best pop punk bands av heard in this area

Its a question of scale and skill. PC 500-1000, soundcard 150-500, software free-infinite cost, good enough mic 150-1000. Its the time & patience getting to learn the gear that is the real investment, hence the situation you described above. Its different cost involved in creating live rooms and, especially, recording drum kits. Vocals also would be at the mercy of the room sound, thats where the work comes into play.

Our recent stuff was all recorded in a top floor flat, lucky the neighbours weren't complainers!

whats up with inept 303? why indefinite hiatus

definatly one of the best pop punk bands av heard in this area

the reason is that, you're probably the only person who's ever held that opinion!

Nah, nobody in Aberdeen liked us, and we had no transport to play gigs elsewhere (which is where we'd rather play)....also we could never write more than 7 songs! :D

Pierre Von Mondragon, you're a lucky sod, I've been living in flats for the past 6 years and have lost the ability to create anything at home thanks to complaining neighbours, its fine playing through amp sims and using drum machines, but I can't even do vocals....have lost my voice as a result :(

Its a question of scale and skill. PC 500-1000' date=' soundcard 150-500, software free-infinite cost, good enough mic 150-1000. Its the time & patience getting to learn the gear that is the real investment, hence the situation you described above. Its different cost involved in creating live rooms and, especially, recording drum kits. Vocals also would be at the mercy of the room sound, thats where the work comes into play.

Our recent stuff was all recorded in a top floor flat, lucky the neighbours weren't complainers![/quote']

Thanks alot i live in a tiny little fishing village full of deaf old poeple and young kids who hang around outside my garage listening to us while they play on thier bikes or drink cheap cider lol, so i could be quite lucky in that respects i also use alot of graphics and some audio software at my work which may give me a distinct advantage into the field.

cheers

the reason is that' date=' you're probably the only person who's ever held that opinion!

Nah, nobody in Aberdeen liked us, and we had no transport to play gigs elsewhere (which is where we'd rather play)....also we could never write more than 7 songs! :D

Pierre Von Mondragon, you're a lucky sod, I've been living in flats for the past 6 years and have lost the ability to create anything at home thanks to complaining neighbours, its fine playing through amp sims and using drum machines, but I can't even do vocals....have lost my voice as a result :([/quote']

Thats a bit of bummer are nt stayover in pretty much the same catagory as inept 303 and they seem to be doing alright on the local scene.

and can't be for lack of quality in the songs i thought they were great