aberdeen-music

METALLICA and BOB ROCK part ways.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no chance of Metallica making a good album ever again - being honest' date=' I think they lost their edge as soon as a) Cliff Burton was forced off this mortal coil, and b) when Slayer released Reign In Blood, single handedly battering anything Metallica had put out until that point.[/quote']

You are todays winner with the correct answer

You are todays winner with the correct answer

Fair play...but returning back to that era and the SKOM...is it just me or was the Dave Mustaine / Lars "chat" more than a little disturbing? Metallica meets Megadeth in the battle of psychobabble...but Lars still wins the asshole contest

Megadeth are the more innovative band after the Master of Puppets era anyways... :rockon:

Fair play...but returning back to that era and the SKOM...is it just me or was the Dave Mustaine / Lars "chat" more than a little disturbing? Metallica meets Megadeth in the battle of psychobabble...but Lars still wins the asshole contest

Megadeth are the more innovative band after the Master of Puppets era anyways... :rockon:

lars is an asshole

and i still cant find a t-shirt that says "lars sit down your the drumer"

mustaine did speak a lot of bullshit too though......

Lars is ace. The egos/personalities make Metallica an entertaining band. There are so many bands that might have good music but personality wise are really bland. Got to hand it to him for the Napster thing...that took some balls.

Hmmmm...as I recall that went something like

- beer good

- money good

- napster bad

...and at the risk of rehashing the whole lars/napster thing do you honestly believe that Lars (who may be an "ace" drummer but is definitely a f*ckwit - did u see kirk's surpise b/day party on SKOM!) did not have a bunch of bootleg tapes of the NWOBHM sh*t he was so into and is napster not just the modern equivalent?

Gotta agree on the entertaining part of your post though!

...and finally - this is only so long coz i'm out of it - i agree with hog, mustaine instead of hammet would have been cool...hammet's a great guy but he's just too damn nice :rockon:

Lars isn't an asshole, he just speaks what he feels and of course it won't always be what people want to hear. I think the Napster thing got a little out of hand on both sides: Metallica suing the fans and taking such offence (though I understand to an extent) and the "fans" who burned their Metallica collection, idiots.

The principle of trying to protect the music industry...that's a bastard of a principal isn't it.

ah - the moral high ground. well found, that man

forgive me for not giving rock demi-god lars the benefit of the doubt but my impression was that the principle he was trying to protect was wealth accumulation...and he paid no heed to the s that his tape trading pulled from the pockets of the NWOBH guys. fair play about scale but ask yourself this - if lars had been born 20 years later, would he be a napster/p2p junkie just like most of us...

or, in summary...beer good, napster good

I would think that there are ALOT of people in bands or not who don't think that P2P is the best option for aquiring music. You could look at it like petrol. Imagine we found a way of getting petrol for nothing. The petrol companies would go bust. With no money they wouldn't be able to find new wells and eventually our easy to come by oil would dry up and then we wouldn't be able to get it from anywhere!

It's the same with Mp3's. If everyone did it and record sales really plumetted it would get to the point where the record companies would start having to cut down on records or indeed find some new way of making money. If it goes that way it is only going to be bad news for bands I think...so thats what I like to think Lars was standing up for...rather than jumping on the Metallica are sell outs band wagon just because they have more success and indeed money than a lot of other bands.

superb post!

It should be remembered that the other bone Lars had was the fact that before artists felt their "art" was ready for consumption, it was being made available.

"I Dissappear" was leaked far before 'tallica were ready for it to be released!

Now, mosty of us here are in bands and mainly original music bands so we too know what its like when you want to reveal the finished article.

Good point Lisa. If anyone heard one of the earilier CDs we did I'd be mortified that it wasn't the finished article...it must be so much worse when it's millions of people hearing it. If artists can leave their canvas covered then surely bands should be alloud to...saying that I am sure some leak their work in a more finished state to drum up some publicity.

[EDIT]: Not forgetting the quality factor...128kbps on an song that you just speant a huge amount of money reocrding, mixing and mastering to sound its best...

If everyone did it and record sales really plumetted it would get to the point where the record companies would start having to cut down on records or indeed find some new way of making money. If it goes that way it is only going to be bad news for bands I think...so thats what I like to think Lars was standing up for...

:) ok, lets go with the positive spin...if lars was genuinely acting from this motivation then he does deserve the benefit of the doubt...

anyone want some free petrol?

:rockon: