aberdeen-music

COMING SOON! New cost effective way to get trollied :)

Flash@TMB

After much hard work, technical shenanigans, and grazed knuckles we finally got the new real ale dispense system installed. Ahhh wait it's OK to keep reading... trust me!

See the plan is to sell our real ale at an extremely competitive price undercutting all the draught products... which is good news when you realise it's possible to get giddy on 2 pints. For those not yet experienced real ale %ABV in relation to mainstream draught products %ABV is reminiscent of the relationship between dog years and human years:

A real ale with 3% ABV feels of similar strength to a 5% ABV lager.

But what about the beardy weirdies with the wooly jumpers and hiking boots???

Don't worry - the last one left months ago and we've elected not to inform them that we've started serving ale once more. So there will be no rants over model aircraft glue performance over a warm pint of Olde Snagglewort. With the exception of Garth who talks trains again 'n again 'n again.

The new dispense system also ensure that every single pint comes out tasting totally fresh and at exactly the right temperature. AND even better the ale is served in over-size glasses so you get liquid all the way to the line - a legacy of the pernichity wooly jumper brigade.

Currently we've only got one test cask of Young Pretender on, but within a few days we'll have ramped up to 3-5 different ales. We're also looking at taking in another cask cider/perry.

OK should have several ales up and running at some point this afternoon. Will try to put at least 3 on at once so get drinking!

Here's some idea of the likely selection:

Young Pretender

Bitter & Twisted

Latitude

Red MacGregor

Red Cullen

Three Sisters

Dark Island

Dragonhead Stout

Any Guiness drinkers should definately sample the Dragonhead.

I drank 2 1/2 pints of Young Pretender on Tuesday and started to feel quite drunk.

If you've sample real ale before and didn't like it then I strongly advocate giving it a second chance. Most places screw it up but when you get a good pint it's amazing!!! I promise every pint will be a good one :)

Guest Laura@TMB
Dark Island? what does that taste like then? sounds like a suitable ale for hardened metallers anyway :p

According to the brewery' date=' Dark Island is described as:

" Dark Island 4.6% ABV

A typical Scottish beer which has a certain 'something extra'. The nose on this beer is ripe and fruity with slightly vinous esters, married to interesting hop notes - the colour of a glorious red ruby wine. Description 'A rich wine coloured ale with a beautiful hop and malt balance'. DARK ISLAND is delightful with cheese dishes, steaks and hamburgers or as a satisfying drink during the evening. "

I have to confess to not being the world's greatest fan of cask ales, as I find many of them just too bitter for my taste. [u']Dark Island and Dragon'force'head Stout :rockon: however are two of the more palatable ales for people like me who confess to having a sweet tooth.

If you ask nicely, you can get a taste of each ale before you buy. Be warned "regular tasters", ie piss-takers will be suitably chastised! :D

Three ales on presently:

Young Pretender

Three Sisters

Dragonhead Stout

They won't be ready for drinking tonight as I had to move them into the ale cellar and that shook them up a bit, plus in this relocation process I bumped into the Young Pretender cask and it now needs time to resettle also :(

All three should be drinkable by tomorrow Friday 1st April, although only the Young Pretender is at it's peak - the other two will still be somewhat unripe Real ale is a living product (a bit like red wine though on a shorter timescale) and once opened has a max life expectancy of 7-10 days. Some people prefer them 'green', most prefer them after they've been open a couple of days. The Three Sisters and Dragnohead should be hitting their peak Sunday, Monday and Tuesday next week.

I have next weeks ales already in the cellar and it will benefit from 'conditioning' prior to being offered for sale.

We also plan to introduce a second real cider or perry (like cider but from pears) on one of the handpumps.

All ales will be sold at:

2.10 / pint - full price

1.90 / pint - off peak

1.60 / pint - during happy hours

Students get a 10% discount at all times making it ridiculously easy to get bladdered!

Guest stuartmaxwell

just think flash,

when all the kids hear that i am going to be there, they will change plans and come in their droves. just so they can interrupt me mid-pint and say

"HI! My name is [gimpy board name], are you stuartmaxwell? you called me a sad bastard sometime, but its ok, i wont hurt you"

• 2 weeks later...