aberdeen-music

Great Film: The Village

Guest AmbientMood

I lied' date=' this film is terrible. Terrible. [b']TERRIBLE.

Did anyone like it?:)

Probably cos you are one of the dumb idiots who can't see past the fact that it was incorrectly marketed as a bloody horror film when there is so much more to it. Without a doubt has best love story in any film so far this century. Has a brilliant score too. I'll leave something for someone else to say.

Guest Ancient Mariner

Oh dear, anyone who isn't improved by watching this film doesn't know how to appreciate drama. You're no doubt looking for thrills, scares and a story. The story is just the means by which you come to realisations concerning perception, belief and the purpose of mythology, in the case of this film, if you're appreciating it properly.

Guest AmbientMood

I sat through the whole film waiting and expecting and striving to pick up clues for the not-very-clever 'twist,' that my friend jokingly predicted near the start, but was naturally dismissed as being far too obvious.

Oh dear, anyone who isn't improved by watching this film doesn't know how to appreciate drama

The dialogue, is bad. Its boring. Old fashioned BBC drama, over-exaggerated drivel. They ram the story down you morons' throats with: 'Ones We Do Not Speak Of' bullshit, and the, lets face it, downright silly monsters-in-cloaks-of-the-colour-we-do-not-think-of-who-come-out-at-night-but-can't-get-you-if-you-close-the-door nonsense. It's predictable and blatant from the start. I gave it a chance and wanted it to be good (seeing as I was the one who had rented it) but after a while, after being force fed the rules of the plot and the scene had been set a million times, the story gives you that vague impression that it was made for morons and that there is an awkward silence setting into the gap in the atmosphere which is usually filled with what we call 'interest.'

It didn't run smoothly at all. Clunky dialogue that immediately kills your respect for the characters (typical cliches but with silly, tedious mannerisms). The plot was leaky down to the trivial aspects of characters saying and doing unrealistic things, again dissing the actors credibility.

Without a doubt has best love story in any film so far this century

Everything that happened was put there for a reason. Everything said was adding to a very slow-moving conclusion that was apparent from the start. This conveyed to me that the idea was dreamed up by one of these:

A: Someone at the pub.

B: A child.

C: A talking rectum.

I concur that it was scripted by an infant, talking rectum (basically a kid that speaks shit). If you think hard, it actually does sound like a story you would write in primary school. The 'facts' being spelled out, in an attempt maybe, to bore the pants off you but then capture your imagination with some mind-bending twist, but you've gotten so bored with your own crappy writing, that by the time you get to the end, you just finish with some totally un-captivating anti-climax (not that I actually expected any sort of consolation for what I had witnessed before the 'twist').

There was no interesting dialogue, no clever twist, plenty of cliched characterisation and how (or why) anyone would think this a good love story or a quality film...

The story is just the means by which you come to realisations concerning perception, belief and the purpose of mythology,

If it's the theme of the film you are getting at, then who cares? It's a badly made film, so I cannot take seriously it's half-assed plight. Even suggesting that I somehow should gain 'moral light' by watching this abomination is ridiculous.

I sat through the whole film waiting and expecting and striving to pick up clues for the not-very-clever 'twist' date='' that my friend jokingly predicted near the start, but was naturally dismissed as being far too obvious.

The dialogue, is bad. Its boring. Old fashioned BBC drama, over-exaggerated drivel. They ram the story down you morons' throats with: 'Ones We Do Not Speak Of' bullshit, and the, lets face it, downright silly monsters-in-cloaks-of-the-colour-we-do-not-think-of-who-come-out-at-night-but-can't-get-you-if-you-close-the-door nonsense. It's predictable and blatant from the start. I gave it a chance and wanted it to be good (seeing as I was the one who had rented it) but after a while, after being force fed the rules of the plot and the scene had been set a million times, the story gives you that vague impression that it was made for morons and that there is an awkward silence setting into the gap in the atmosphere which is usually filled with what we call 'interest.'

It didn't run smoothly at all. Clunky dialogue that immediately kills your respect for the characters (typical cliches but with silly, tedious mannerisms). The plot was leaky down to the trivial aspects of characters saying and doing unrealistic things, again dissing the actors credibility.

Everything that happened was put there for a reason. Everything said was adding to a very slow-moving conclusion that was apparent from the start. This conveyed to me that the idea was dreamed up by one of these:

I concur that it was scripted by an infant, talking rectum (basically a kid that speaks shit). If you think hard, it actually does sound like a story you would write in primary school. The 'facts' being spelled out, in an attempt maybe, to bore the pants off you but then capture your imagination with some mind-bending twist, but you've gotten so bored with your own crappy writing, that by the time you get to the end, you just finish with some totally un-captivating anti-climax (not that I actually expected any sort of consolation for what I had witnessed before the 'twist').

There was no interesting dialogue, no [i']clever twist, plenty of cliched characterisation and how (or why) anyone would think this a good love story or a quality film...

If it's the theme of the film you are getting at, then who cares? It's a badly made film, so I cannot take seriously it's half-assed plight. Even suggesting that I somehow should gain 'moral light' by watching this abomination is ridiculous.

You rock MR Mood!

I sat through the whole film waiting and expecting and striving to pick up clues for the not-very-clever 'twist' date='' that my friend jokingly predicted near the start, but was naturally dismissed as being far too obvious.

There was no interesting dialogue, no [i']clever twist, plenty of cliched characterisation and how (or why) anyone would think this a good love story or a quality film...

I totally disagree with you about the dialogue being exaggerated. Again you just blab on about the plot which isn't that important. If you didn't think it was a beautiful love story you officially don't have heart.

Guest AmbientMood
I totally disagree with you about the dialogue being exaggerated. Again you just blab on about the plot which isn't that important. If you didn't think it was a beautiful love story you officially don't have heart.

No' date=' I have just read a lot more books than you.

P.s: Are you just trying to make us sound like pussies?

Guest Logan

man, I was looking for a good 'ol rant about this movie but AmbientMood has pretty much summed it up!

The movie was boring! The only good thing about it was the blind chick. She was hot! The "twist" I guessed from the very start. The Sixth Sense this is not. (And that's only good cause Haley Joel Osment gets his ass kicked).

Guest AmbientMood
Sorry' date=' you have no idea how many books i've read and that's totally irrelevant i think.[/quote']

The point suggests you have no idea of a 'beautiful love story.' Or that you are actually a love-struck, cissy, Blanche-type character who is moved to tears by the most unmoving, pathetic, plastic movie.

Guest Ancient Mariner

GArrrhhhhhhhhhhh! Again, you're all placing too much emphasis on the twist! It's just a feature inserted to interest mainstream audiences. I think that goes for the love story too, Jazz was just talking it up because of the way he was feeling yesterday.

Ambient Mood has some decent reasons for not liking it, but I didn't I notice any of your complaints when I watched it. I'm not sure I ever would, unless I was a film-maker, like I notice features in other peoples's songs because I'm a songwriter. Suspending your disbelief when you watch a film with a Romantic (with a capital "r") narrative like this, is as necessary as removing earplugs from your ears before listening to music.

it wasn't a great film, but it also was not a terrible film.

It was watchable, fairly interesting, and some parts did have you on the edge of your seat. The blind chick, indeed was hot, and it was a good story!

I enjoyed it, here's the scale:

1. See it at cinema? - Yes

2. Rent it once? - Yes

3. Rent it more? - No

4. Buy it? - No

Not bad

Anyone who dismisses this film as simply "terrible" is a ned' date=' unless you can give a good reason.....[/quote']i can't believe you just said that...im actually laughing that was so pathetic....i hope you were joking...but i did enjoy the film...i still can't quite figure out how people guessed the twist so early on....