aberdeen-music

Help required please........

sludge

i got red highlights through my hair yesterday and my employer has told me to take them out. the managing director says its not open for disscussion but im going to push on anyway. i need someone to help me format a report. also someone with a digital camera to spend a day with me in town. i want to take pictures of employees across town with coloured hair to show them how dated their policy is. if anyone would like to pitch any ideas in or give me advice it would be appreciated.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey' date=' if thats what your work want from you, then give it to them. whole point of work is to get paid and do your job the way that THEY want you to, they are the ones that put the pennies in your pocket. you dont have to look 'different' all the time.[/quote']

But how is having red through his hair affecting the job he is doing?

Seems like a stupid policy.

i got red highlights through my hair yesterday and my employer has told me to take them out. the managing director says its not open for disscussion but im going to push on anyway. i need someone to help me format a report. also someone with a digital camera to spend a day with me in town. i want to take pictures of employees across town with coloured hair to show them how dated their policy is. if anyone would like to pitch any ideas in or give me advice it would be appreciated.

Did you know they had a bizarre hair colour policy before you got it done...?

If you did....tough shit....!

nope

pumpkin_queen13 hey, if thats what your work want from you, then give it to them. whole point of work is to get paid and do your job the way that THEY want you to, they are the ones that put the pennies in your pocket. you dont have to look 'different' all the time.

i completely disagree with that. pumpkin queen, if your work wanted you to do something completely, for example, immoral or degrading, would you do it simply because they pay you and you feel you have to do your job the way THEY want you to do it? that leaves no room for helpful suggestions from members of staff who probably know their scummy jobs better than management. This has nothing to do with looking different, plenty of people have red highlights.

Graeme, are the girls allowed red highlights? I'm sure they are. It's sexist. You could kick up a huge fuss about this if you set your mind to it. incidentally, where do you work? Forget the digital camera idea, it's a bit daft i reckon. If you work somewhere where you have to look incredibly respectful, like a funeral parlour, then maybe you should consider having them dyed out. If not, stick to your guns. My work wouldn't allow pink hair, that's more understandable, but red highlights?! pah!

difference

what you said pretty much suggested you'd do anything as long as you were being paid sweetheart, just doing your job they way THEY want you to do it. what real difference does hair dye make to whether or not he can do his job properly? do you have dyed dair? if you do i bet your work hasn't complanied about it, because you're female.

Guest MarkJDelaney

It may be a really shit policy, but if it was in their company policy then there's really nothing you can do. You should have asked them before about doing it. If it's not in their company policy THEN you can argue for it.

I saw this problem when I worked in WHSmith (shite hole). Guy who worked there dyed his hair and management didn't really approve because it was "too bright". Right enough it was in their policy and he should have asked. A manager had red in his hair before the guy did, but even he had to ask to make sure he could do it. They did end up letting him off though. It might be really shit, and a pre-historic idea but if that's their rule then you'll have to go by it I think.

Guest Neubeatz

I think you would be wasting your time, your md sounds like a "tp" I think that you should do the rocknroll thing and spunk in his face.

look........ill easily remove them. not a problem. its the principal of it. why? why is that rule there in the first place? do you not think its a bit dated? its not effecting your work in anyway,it has nothing to do with health and safety, and it seems to cause no problem but to the management. its something i feel strongly about and i appreciate all your advice but i think its something worth pushing for. if the managing director can only give me "its innapropriate" than surely its worth questioning. someone has to.

I see your point to a certain extent, but not everybody wants to be served by someone with brightly coloured hair. Doesn't bother me, and I am sure it doesn't affect the work you do, but some companies do see it as appropriate that those who serve the majority fit in with the majority.

Yeah it's a bit dated, but see it from their point. If they let you have your colouored hair, then where do they draw the line as to what is appropriate workwear? They are a business, whose prime objective is to earn as much money as possible. For them, staff with bright hair in their cafe might seem off-putting to the type of customers that frequent their establishment.

But although I symapthise with your point, I stand by mine - like it or lump it!! The managing director of John Lewis would probably rather sack you for contravention of the dress code than change their policy. What's more important - money in your pocket or highlights in your hair?

i got suspended for two days at school because i died my hair bright red and refused to take it out. After they realised that if they didnt let me to school because of it i could take serious legal action nothing more was said. Dont be bullied into changing your apperance for the man, damm the man, long live the empire....(oops wrong quote) but you get the picture. They didnt like it, i did, they tiried to make me change, i told them where to go and 6 months later i realised i looked like an idiot with red hair so i changed back.

Pointless story really isnt it....

Generally its more to do with your managers personal preferences than with company policy, which is shit. i sell tvs in bruce millers and i've got tattoos on both my forearms which are clearly visible to the general public and i also have my ear pierced and they aren't bothered about it at all. As long as you're good at your job, they shouldn't mind.

:up:

Guest onlynik

I think you should look professional, the last thing I want to see is some scruffy person with 'cool' hair serving me, I recently saw someone like this serving at M&S and it brings the whole impression of the shop down. If you want to have Highlights/emo cuts/piercings get a job that'll allow you to do this, places like 1-up, Retro rebels etc, where your style fits in. Your style doesn't fit the look for John Lewis, get anoher job where your aren't facing the public or where your style fits.