aberdeen-music

fundraiser for Tsunami Aid

purplefrodo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one would definitely get involved with this if it went ahead. I would also definitely volunteer My Downfall to play if wanted and im sure other bands would like to play as well. It would be great to see everyone involved with aberdeenmusic getting involved in something truly constructive. Great idea purplefrodo. :up: The one condition that would have to be put on this is that everyone, that's EVERYONE gets their fingers out now and gets something done about it, cause this shit is happening now.

Well the relief effort is in the very early stages and the effects of this disaster will probably be felt for at least another generation to come. But its true that the sooner something is organised the better. The true nature of this disaster is only just unfolding i think the least people could do would be to play a few songs or pay a little money to hear a few songs being played, if you care as much as i know you all do then do something about it.

nice thought.

already spoken to eric in drummonds bout the possibility of doing this and he said yes, no problem. (if another, bigger, venue would be better then cool) also said he`d donate some takings too. just gonna check dates i think and see what can be done, and soon.

was thinking bout trying to make it maybe an all dayer (start at 3 or 4 or something. gonna check out and see if we can find some raffle prizes or summat similar to raise a bit extra too. was thinking to get as many bands as poss to do short(ish) sets too and get as many in the door as poss.

these are just ideas that myself and flatmate have spoken bout. any other suggestions are more than welcome.

ps. promotion would be no problem. should be easy to get some v good publicity in the evening express etc...

maybe participating bands that have cds/t-shirts would also like to sell those at the gig and donate some of the money raised to the overall amount. Also t-shirts/badges with the event info on them could be made and sold to raise money.

If more than one venue is willing to host and/or more bands are willing to play than time allows then the event could occur at multiple venues at the same time with the finale of the event being held at the biggest venue. This would also help to raise more money.

Gaudie would promote as well

Femora

Hey there all, i was reading the post and i think the idea is great and i know for a fact that Femora would be honered to give their time for such a good cause.

I was reading the news report and they're estimating a death toll of at least 100,000 and the tolls already at 80,000.

I don't know about you guys but something has to be done and i for one would have no problem in giving a little time considering what's happening around the world.

I'm sure every band in Aberdeen will give there time no questions asked, so we could have something really special... and for the right reasons.

Thanks

Marty

OK lets get this properly started. Where would this ideally be held? I would say Moshulu would be best but would they have a free date? How many bands are we talking? We need to think of these things before we do anything. I'm sure you all want to do something for the cause so lets have some thoughts please. :ding:

this may sound a bit far-fetched, but i could try organise something in glasgow aswell, i know a lotta people off here live in glasgow for uni etc.. so manybe it could be made into a big-scale scotland music helping thing?!

just an idea, i know a lot of people/bands in glasgow would love to help for this cause.

If one is to be organised it should be organised "fairly" quickly but not happen for a good while (couple of months) so that it can be properly promoted etc.

I would have thought that having it asap and capitalising on it being a 'current'/'hot' issue would be a better idea. Get people's attention while they are still motivated enough to do something. Also to make the most of any publicity you might get for doing it in the papers etc.

This is a good idea - long term - but people are dying now. Why not forego the January sales and donate a bit of your Christmas money to the appeal? The telephone number appears on TV approximately every hour or so.

Also, if your company match sponsorship or allocate a certain amount of "charity money" to each employee each year seriously think about hassling them to donate.

The proceeds from the gig could help rebuild infrastructure, but it's not much use if everyone in the area has died of disease in the meantime...

Guest Zeenat Aman
I think that a gig should be organised in Aberdeen with the proceeds being donated to the red cross or Oxfam or a mixture of different charitable organisations.

One can donate to the Red Cross at this number: 0870 6060 9000 or go to their site at: www.redcross.org.uk

Or there is the Disaster Emergency Appeal Committee: www.dec.or.uk

a combined night would be a good idea, Drummonds is a wee bit small to have the whole event in.

This is such a great idea, i hope it goes ahead. If anyone needs a hand with it, gimme a shout.

Another thought (and only a thought because i know the logistics of it might not work) would be to see if we could maybe get a bigger band to play alongside local bands. I have no ideas who, but i don't know if maybe somebody knows somebody...

Of course, they would have to do it of free, but you never know...these things seem to work in the movies :D

Another thought (and only a thought because i know the logistics of it might not work) would be to see if we could maybe get a bigger band to play alongside local bands. I have no ideas who' date=' but i don't know if maybe somebody knows somebody...

Of course, they would have to do it of free, but you never know...these things seem to work in the movies :D[/quote']

This is why I was looking at giving us a little time to promote the event properly.

Touring bands are generally not going to be around until mid to late February.

March 27th is the next Bank Holiday as part of the Easter Holidays. Or Could Do St Paddy's day.... March 17th... A Thursday....

We have the Venue free that night and I was looking at doing an event then anyways.

Rather than have everyone on this message board stick in their tupence worth it would be better if people could elect a couple of people who have some form of clout with media etc to organise things.

Right.... I`m off to phone Neil.....see what's going down.