aberdeen-music

Does God Exist?

buffalo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't believe there could be a God when disasters like the recent ones happened, but maybe there's a purpose for it?! maybe its a way of showin world unity, or a way of makin the continents decide where money should really be going.. like fightin countris, or naturally devastated countries.

there must be some sort of force out there, a lot of people have died recently, and many people turn to God for peace and harmony, even though many members of their families have died/been killed. its amazing the beliefs pepole cling to, even when it destroys their lives.

peace out.

Assuming that big band theory is correct' date=' then the universe exploded out of a singularity, an infinitesimally small point of nothingness. In other words nothingness begat something, in fact it begat everything.

[/quote']

I often had the theory that Glen Miller was responsible for the beginning of creation...

Cheers

Stuart

i don't believe there could be a God when disasters like the recent ones happened' date=' but maybe there's a purpose for it?! maybe its a way of showin world unity, or a way of makin the continents decide where money should really be going.. like fightin countris, or naturally devastated countries.

there must be some sort of force out there, a lot of people have died recently, and many people turn to God for peace and harmony, even though many members of their families have died/been killed. its amazing the beliefs pepole cling to, even when it destroys their lives.

peace out.[/quote']

You definitely raise some interesting points..

hrmm..

Yes' date=' I do believe in a God, however it's certainly not the Christian God or God as described by any religion, to try and explain something you have no knowledge of is idiotic.

I'll just never believe that we are the highest being in existence, we suck too much. :)[/quote']

u get some right human assholes, some spawned from the nicest people! but i know what u mean about not a certain one specfic religious god thing, but someone greater than us all. we are just mere mortals, there must be one immortal out there overseeing our shenanigans.

Seismic activity is essential to life on this planet. Without seismic activity every living thing would die. My facts are a little hazy here but as I recall the earth consists of a crust, an outer mantle, an inner mantle, an outer core and an inner core. The core is though to be iron. The outer core rotates arond the inner core. This generates the magnetic field around the earth known as the Van Allen belts. The Van Allen belts prevent dangerous cosmic radiation from reaching the earth.

In addition the hot liquid interior acts as a sort of combi radiator convection heater and helps keep everything warm.

The interior of the planet also performs other essential functions, but I'm nowhere near an expert.

My understanding is that seismic activity is kept alive by the gravitational pull of the moon, in the same way that it acts on our tides it also acts on the mantle with a stirring motion, keeping is hot and liquid through a friction effect.

So why would a God wish to interfere with something like that? Why would God want to stick it's fingers in the spokes?

Imagine someone went on holiday and left their teenage kids in charge of their house. On their return the kids had cut down all the trees in the garden for firewood, eaten the family pets, spent all the money in the bank on a wild party, and burned down half the house. If one of those kids then tripped over and fell in a pile of dogshit, then my guess is that kid would not receive much in the way of sympathy. IMO that's approx where mankind is at.

God (if it exists) is an outside observer. Looking at the earth he'd see people cutting down rain forests, killing off animals for sport, burning off natural resources, polluting the air with poisons, and generally behaving like a bunch of vandals. Would God empathise with mankind to the extent of preventing a disaster, just to save a few of them? What is so special about mankind? Would Gods time not be better spent preventing commercial whalers form killing whales for their penises or whatever? Hey - perhaps God could intervene at every single wrong doing... If so then we'd all be in deep shit LMAO!!!

Take the theory of the immortal soul into account and Gods lack of intervention becomes easier to understand, because in Gods eyes nobody would really be killed in any such a disaster, only their physical bodies would be affected. Perhaps the material world isn't all that important to God.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT saying that these disasters be they earthquakes, AIDS, war, famine whatever are good things; as a human I feel sorry for the people that are affected... but an issue raised on THIS thread was why doesn't God intervene, and this is one possible explanation... and is NOT NECESSARILY reflective of my personal beliefs or opinion!

Flash' date=' are you copying all this from a book or something? If not it's pretty good reading.

You have far too much time (oops here comes the lecture on how time doesn't actually exist)[/quote']

No it's just something I'm interested in apart from drinking. Don't get me started on time for fucks sake!

No it's just something I'm interested in apart from drinking. Don't get me started on time for fucks sake!

Okay we'll leave that for another time.

I tried reading a book "the end of time" by Julian Barber once and it drove me crazy. I just couldn't get my head round it.

It said something about living in a series of 'nows'. I just don't have time for it even if it doesn't exist.... sorry must dash here comes my medication.

B.

Well folks' date=' after all that discussion, did we come to any kind of conclusion? no? what a fucking waste of time...[/quote']

but will there EVER be a conclusion to the mystery of God?! no! it was an interesting thread, with many views and concepts, it wasn't a fuckin waste of time. go get some brains. :rolleyes:

this topic must not end until we can agree on something! however something tells me that our beliefs are far too diverse to ever come to an agreement on such a matter! someone said earlier thats religion kills, that is utter bollocks, there are no mainstream religions that condones such action! We each have our own very unique views on who or what God is or isn't, as unique as every person who has a view, if u know what I mean. The only way we can truly accept other views and opinions is to understand that what others think, is meaningless to us as individuals. Believe what u believe and leave others to believe what they want. :bat:

Guest Charity Case

God does exist, otherwise we would not have the word "god". I don't think god exists in any way, shape or form other than words, thoughts and beliefs, he isn't an entity just a character in a huge fictional story which we are all part of through association.

but will there EVER be a conclusion to the mystery of God?! no! it was an interesting thread' date=' with many views and concepts, it wasn't a fuckin waste of time. go get some brains. :rolleyes:[/quote']

thanks for quoting me! however I hadn't finished, I have a habbit of rushing things. U shouldn't rush to conclusions and judge ppl based on a tiny quote. For all u know I could have brains! For all u know, I could have enjoyed the many views and concepts, but came to the conclusion that it was a waste of time, its up to me what I think for fucks sake. It doesn't make be brainless. U dont even fucking know me! :rolleyes:

thanks for quoting me! however I hadn't finished' date=' I have a habbit of rushing things. U shouldn't rush to conclusions and judge ppl based on a tiny quote. For all u know I could have brains! For all u know, I could have enjoyed the many views and concepts, but came to the conclusion that it was a waste of time, its up to me what I think for fucks sake. It doesn't make be brainless. U dont even fucking know me! :rolleyes:[/quote']

i know i dont' know you, and im sorry for saying you don't have brains.. but te fact that u thougt the thread was a waste of time was a bit mean and distasteful, yes everyone has their own thoughts and beliefes, and everyone has the freedom of speech, which is why i find it hypocritical that u said this thread was a 'waste of time', it clearly wasnt, and you made your views with your 2nd post, but to start off in this thread sayin it wasn't necessary was a bit umm.. dunno, but it was a bit of somethin hehe :rolleyes:

Islam is the main religion !

and you could always say' date=' "Why did Allah Let this disaster happen" but then you could say "Is this Gods way for cutting down the population ?"

All I mean is there are two side to every story.[/quote']

You have plainly misunderstood everything. Jews, christians and muslims all worship exactly the same God.

Besides, there are way more hindus and buddihsts in the world than in any of the monotheistic religions. So how do you equate Islam being the main? Islam also teaches tolerance, so your" christian god is shite " statement hardly fits in with your claimed belief system.

You have plainly misunderstood everything. Jews' date=' christians and muslims all worship exactly the same God.

Besides, there are way more hindus and buddihsts in the world than in any of the monotheistic religions. So how do you equate Islam being the main? Islam also teaches tolerance, so your" christian god is shite " statement hardly fits in with your claimed belief system.[/quote']

Damn straight!

Guest Zeenat Aman
Cant understand what is so good about Catholicism. Surely God should not be feared? It strikes me as a very negative outlook. Also to be against contraception is not the wisest idea considering the HIV problem in Africa :moody:

After many months of research' date=' reading, inner thinking and so on, I have come to a personal conclusion/realisation. :ding: Ommm!

Yes, God is and the best way to know and feel this is through direct experience.

Religious practice should, ideally, be a means of concentrating your mind and life on God, but sadly there seem to be far too many negative aspects to this, [i']man made rules etc.

I have more to say, but I'll leave it for later:P

Heh heh.

*leaps back into the fray*

What the fuck has religion got to do with God exactly? OK that's a rhetorical question. My point is that this thread is about whether God exists, and that is something that transcends all religion. Personally I am, on the balance, against religion but pro God.

Religion is metaphysics for dummies. No hang on, Wicca is metaphysics for dummies, religion is more a means of controling the masses. OK perhaps it started out with the best intentions, and many of the messages are good ones... BUT the big problem is that it has been corrupted by the wrong people for the wrong reasons. A lot of conflicts are connected to religion.

Religion's big problem is that old double edged sword of faith. Faith has clouded the whole experience of God. There is ample self demonstrable evidence of God all around us, although it's not generally demonstrable and therefore not scientifically proveable. Which is more relevant though - that which one can experience oneself, or that which one is shown by others? Furthermore upon close examination, much 'scientific fact' requires a degree of faith.

So the things to look for are those little problems that science glosses over or avoids, hidden in those are the means to experience God more directly. Here's what I consider to be one example:

I'm a computer baby, one of the first computer babies. I saw my first computer aged 11 in 1981. I wrote my first programme aged 14, did my first piece of paid IT work in 1987, ultimately graduated with a degree in computer science, and have worked with computers for umm quite a long time. The biggest computer system I ever specified, assembled (the big ones come flat-pack), installed, configured, and maintained cost 500K. It was essentially a supercomputer module. In other words, connect several of those together and they might occasionally beat a grandmaster at chess. Occasionally.

OK the point is that IMO that computer, and pretty much any computer in the future will never ever ever ever ever become concious. This I am convinced of because I know how they work. I know how a MCP is consrtucted, how to design and etch an IC, and how they calculate, memorise, store, and process. Fuck I can even calculate the mean throughput of a hard drive given the radius, rpm, number of platters, and data density. Take away the bandana and the Addlestones, and I'm sad as fuck.

The underlying principles haven't change at all since Alan Turing first figured them out (before the machines even arguably existed) back in the 1930s. Anyone that believes in AI (and I have a reasonable understanding of those principles) is delusional. No matter how many decent recursive heurisitc search algorithms we devise the fucking thing is NEVER going to think. A worm has more intelligence. Seriously. And it doesn't have a fuckin brain the size of my house either.

Ever seen either a person or an animal die? Woah! Subjectively there is a big difference between the living thing and the dead thing. Animals are particularily good at recognising this, no matter how recent the death. Put a sleeping rabbit in front of a pet dog and the dog will be on it like a rash. Put a very recently deceased rabbit in front of the dog (don't go killing one just to test this out for fucks sake, I used to go shooting in my misspent youth, and now regret doing so) and the dog will stand there, with a limp tail, nervously bumping it's gums and perhaps make a little whine, or at best give it a gentle sniff (unless it's trained behave otherwise). Living thing / dead thing. Big difference. This Apple Mac I'm using right now is not even a dead thing, just a thing. It has no soul (apart from in comparison to a PC), and never had one. The dog will just ignore the Apple Mac, unless you cover it in gravy (the Mac not the dog). So to me it's obvious, just by looking around, that there is a God, and that we, our furry (or slithery) friends, and the green stuff are all part of it.

Yes I have been drinking tonight. Sorry I typed so much again but this keyboard sounds nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for my post, any asks my do i believe or worship god i will always reply to which one do you mean i believe in many gos and goddesses, i believe in the existance of all gods but i dont follow all of the belief systems, there is a place for all religions even if they have casue many wars and destruction, i even believe in thew existance of the Norse Gods such as Odin and Satan as well he is another god one of many, just becasue they have been given the title god doesnt mean that they are kind and loving, and about the quake i don't think that was an act of god but just tectonic plates moving dramatically.

Deepdrinker