aberdeen-music

I heard that Toms is upgrading the studio

Hog

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stuartmaxwell
I have nothing against tom's...but the recording we did rushed or not wasn't up to scratch wen i went to mix it' date=' not enough gate...the drums were a nightmare![/quote']

toms is hardly alladins lamp,

if you didnt book enough recording time or didnt have your songs nailed before you went in then what do you expect?

im sure you will reply with some childish comment that makes absolutly no sense

which band was it?souldoubt or jizzface?

i was merely pointing out that the gate on the drums wasn't enough an it was a nightmare to mix it as their was too much bleeding through. We booked 7 hours and we'd been rehearsing for two weeks prior. All i needed was the recording done 'dry' so i could add everything else later.

I just think their getting a bit pricey. I hear it's 14 an hour for rehearsals now?

Danny.

i was merely pointing out that the gate on the drums wasn't enough an it was a nightmare to mix it as their was too much bleeding through. We booked 7 hours and we'd been rehearsing for two weeks prior. All i needed was the recording done 'dry' so i could add everything else later.

I just think their getting a bit pricey. I hear it's 14 an hour for rehearsals now?

Danny.

erm, use a noise gate when you mix then....duh! its impossible to get a totally bleed free drum sound

we just done 21 songs of drumming and live bass at Toms and its sounds fucking amazing, better than most things we've done (thats considering we've worked in some classy studios with 'name' producers)

we spent a bit of time fannying about with a few mic positions first, and then battered through 21 songs in two days....bit of compression, few gates, no effects

20 quid and hour is a bargain > do people expect it for free?

It's called inflation! lol. I think prices and quality are good. You only have to hear some of the fat hippy stuff to hear how good the sound can be. We've done two live recordings there and both came out good for what they were...one take per song and that was that. Only trouble was on the second recording the hi hats are too loud but that's more down to the style of hats and how hard scott hits them, everything else was great. Will def. be recording there when it comes time to do some proper tracks.

It's called inflation! lol. I think prices and quality are good. You only have to hear some of the fat hippy stuff to hear how good the sound can be. We've done two live recordings there and both came out good for what they were...one take per song and that was that. Only trouble was on the second recording the hi hats are too loud but that's more down to the style of hats and how hard scott hits them' date=' everything else was great. Will def. be recording there when it comes time to do some proper tracks.[/quote']

any chance you could upload these tracks, i really want to hear you guys!

I agreed with Betamax.

20/hr is pretty cheap, actually! It's not like Tom is lining his pockets now, is it?! The banks put their charges up, the taxman takes more and more, and the council and landlords up their charges. What else can he do apart from pass on the cost? If he was making enough, he'd absorb it. Tom is not out to screw people over, quite the opposite in fact. Recording is an art, the final results are as dependant on the band and thier knowledge and input as it is on the basic studio and gear. On the whole, I find that the quality of recordings favours Toms, but with FHR a lot more happens there and experience does count! But there are exceptions, the Deadloss EP was a good result. I know that the man behind the desk is a big key too, Dr Deleto did a fantastic job with us on Self-Made Monsters and the proof is in the listening.

Did a 4 hour demo with Paul. For the limited time and money, Paul did a cracking job. As a businessman I know that there are many reasons for raising prices, many of which Rob touched on. If you take more money in (even if its not profit) your costs get larger and larger. Its a snowball effect, you then become VAT registered then you get taxed more etc etc. Its serious shit running a business especially like the one Tom is doing.