aberdeen-music

Band Aid

Skull Commander

Now, I know that my opinion may seem slightly unseasonal, but does anyone else agree with me when I say that the new version of band aid is the biggest pile of tripe to be inflicted on us for a long time?

I can appreciate that they want to help the starving masses, but surely each artist giving some money would be better than this hideous tune that sounds like a jigsaw puzzle of the worst apects of British music.

That tosser from coldplay has been quoted of late saying that everyone should by multiple copies wherther they like it or not. BOLLOCKS. If you really want to help, then why not just give some money to the charity, without buying this poor excuse for a record and inflating 'the cream' of the British music industry's ego's.

Rant over.

Wached it again last night on TOTP' date=' Justin appears to be the only one that actually sing (maybe Joss Stone too). The man from Coldplay has no tone to his voice at all.[/quote']

How anyone can claim Jusitin (sqeal lke a stuck pig) Hawkins can sing better than Dido is beyond me. Having been unfortunate enough to see the Darkness several times and seen Dido once, her vocals were 100000x better. Hawkins also came across like a real fuckwit on the documentary about Band Aid 20.

That being said it is a terrible version of a classic song. Midge what weere you thinking ?? release the original - most of the singers are still around now !!

Cheers

Stuart

you know i was in HMV the other day and for a split second considored buying it but then i thought 'no' why should i buy a record that features multi millionaires such as Bono (even if his heart is in the right place, i'd love to see his bank balance)? and it is crap. and why did midge do it? bloody simple, his solo career is hardly going anywhere so what better way to get yourself back in the public eye by re-creating one of your most famous triumphs.

i'm sure the likes of bono, geldof and ure have the best intentions at heart but they miss the point i think.

especially the jam out at the end where the likes of joss stone and beverly knight start wailing and trying to out sing each other, really is quite horrible. shit i have to play the bloody thing in about half an hour, still at five minutes long it gives me time to nip out the back and have a sneaky ciggie!

I've tried to blank that particular "musical" monstrosity out of my mind' date=' thankewvemuch.

Can't decide which one's worse, Band Aids 2 or 20. Would your bosses mind if you played all three versions back to back?

I think there's a punk version out now as well. That might be worth hearing...[/quote']

we dont have band aid 2 here, i saw the video of band aid 2 on the telly in the pub earlier, the sound was turned down but i found it fun playing 'spot the 80's pop star' and guessing which line they were singing. whatever did happen to big fun????

yes i hear there is a punk version, would like to hear that!

you know i was in HMV the other day and for a split second considored buying it but then i thought 'no' why should i buy a record that features multi millionaires such as Bono (even if his heart is in the right place' date=' i'd love to see his bank balance)? and it is crap. and why did midge do it? bloody simple, his solo career is hardly going anywhere so what better way to get yourself back in the public eye by re-creating one of your most famous triumphs.

i'm sure the likes of bono, geldof and ure have the best intentions at heart but they miss the point i think.[/quote']

Shuit it Franklin ;) I want Midge's to be high profile !!! go Midge go !!! The more Midge is in the public eye the better for us :)

Everyone start buying and going to Midge gigs ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Shuit it Franklin ;) I want Midge's to be high profile !!! go Midge go !!! The more Midge is in the public eye the better for us :)

Everyone start buying and going to Midge gigs ;)

Cheers

Stuart

listen pal, 'vienna' changed me life back in 81, always a soft spot for the ure....

listen pal' date=' 'vienna' changed me life back in 81, always a soft spot for the ure....[/quote']

Just remember Jo's doing 4 dates with him next year we want everyone to love him so we can sell more CDs and then make lots of money, then afford another night out like 2 weeks ago !! Which reminds me, have you got any photo's developed ?

Aaaaah.... it means nothing to me.... Vinenna... If it's any help when he was in Aberdeen and we got the gigs next year i did tell him the new Band Aid song was a bad idea ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Just remember Jo's doing 4 dates with him next year we want everyone to love him so we can sell more CDs and then make lots of money' date=' then afford another night out like 2 weeks ago !! Which reminds me, have you got any photo's developed ?

Aaaaah.... it means nothing to me.... Vinenna... If it's any help when he was in Aberdeen and we got the gigs next year i did tell him the new Band Aid song was a bad idea ;)

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

shows what kind of influence you have on faded middle aged ex pop stars.... zilch! :up:

shows what kind of influence you have on faded middle aged ex pop stars.... zilch! :up:

Thats not a nice thing to say about jo... oh right gotcha ;)

Well of that I'm gratefull, I feel he probably did take what i said seriously but by that time ther plan was in motion ;) He knows better next time to ask me for advice early on ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Thats not a nice thing to say about jo... oh right gotcha ;)

Well of that I'm gratefull' date=' I feel he probably did take what i said seriously but by that time ther plan was in motion ;) He knows better next time to ask me for advice early on ;)

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

wonder if there will be a band aid 40 with a 64 year old bono turning up in his zimmer frame croaking that line.

you can bet your bottom dollar the darkness wont be involved!

The worst bit is the incessant guitar fills/solos towards the end' date=' obviously inserted as a consolation to Justin Hawkins for not getting to sing Bono's line.

Not that I've managed make myself listen to it all the way to the end more than once...[/quote']

they're great, their actually played by jonny greenwood, the darkness didn't play much on the sing despite them prancing around wiht their guitars in the video.

Its not the best song in the world, but far better musically than the first and second versions, and its well worth buying, because its for a very good cause even if there are bad side affects like boositn bonos ego.

i can't believe thom and jonny lowered themselves to do this. best intentions at heart, but hell, they should have released radioheads version of Winter Wonderland....

fave band aid story...this is true.....

Chris Martin was under the impression he was getting to play keyboards on the track....so he prepared for it, then turned up at the studio and was told by Nigel Godrich he wouldnt be playing keyboards any more. Chris then ensued to throw a major hissy fit, absolutely raging....then he asked who was playing instead...

"Thom Yorke..." replied Godrich....

Chris Martin never said a word after that. he knows who the master is......

you'd have thought that during the space of 20 years bob geldof and midge ure would have been able to write a new christmas charity track' date=' that may have gotten more people interested in actually buying the single.[/quote']

The whole point of it was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the original hit, so what would be the point in writing another one it kind of defeats the whole 20 year anniversary thing. For that matter I doubt another charity record would have the same effect as the rerecording of Band Aid which taps into the nostalgia market and the people that like the artists on the new one. There already is a fair number of people interested in it, as it's the biggest selling single this year and much as I don't like the recording, I mean Justin ruins anything he's on and does the same thing again, he even got into a strop that he couldn't do the falsetto bit because he knows he can't sing properly, the song could be worse and i think its primarily because the genre of music people on here like doesn't fit with the musical acts used except the twat Hawkins.

I mean the bottom line is. it's for a good cause and whatever you think of the song, you have to admire Midge and Bob for trying to do it again and succeeding.

Cheers

Stuart