aberdeen-music

The Delays

Marillionboy

I love this forum!

How did we nearly meet' date=' did ELP girl arrive after I left? Still can't believe I didn't make it back there, better do it very majorly next time to compensate!

And now can I ask a VERY sad question: is the version of I Believe in Father Christmas on Works II not the original? If not, where is the original available?[/quote']

She did indeed arrive after you left, complete with an ELP t-shirt i think. So next time I'll make sure she comes out it'll do her good, and she can bring her friends, i can think of one in poarticular...

I have to admit never been into ELP much, they have their moments but i find them a bit OTT in general, was a huge Asia fan and a little bit of side info Robin Boult lives down the road from Keith Emerson apparently :)

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this intriguing "one in particular". Make sure you're all free mid-January!

I agree about ELP but I always forget how much of their stuff I love until I listen to it again! The first album I ever tried was Trilogy, borrowed it from Tillydrone Library and thought The Endless Enigma was fabulous. Even The Sheriff is fine, unlike the other albums' "comedy song"...Jeremy Bender and Benny the Bouncer are utter shit...

I picked up Sinfield's solo album in The Cavern a whilke back, very lush and mellow, not great but listenable...

Stu what's your thoughts on IQ and...here's a name from the past...Pete Brown and Piblokto?

By the way, I like Asia!

I love this intriguing "one in particular". Make sure you're all free mid-January!

I agree about ELP but I always forget how much of their stuff I love until I listen to it again! The first album I ever tried was Trilogy' date=' borrowed it from Tillydrone Library and thought The Endless Enigma was fabulous. Even The Sheriff is fine, unlike the other albums' "comedy song"...Jeremy Bender and Benny the Bouncer are utter shit...

I picked up Sinfield's solo album in The Cavern a whilke back, very lush and mellow, not great but listenable...

Stu what's your thoughts on IQ and...here's a name from the past...Pete Brown and Piblokto?

By the way, I like Asia![/quote']

Nah, she just has a very lovely friend which is why i know her... Much too young for you tho ;) much too young for me, but that never stopped me :p

I don't know much IQ but do know John Jowitt who is a top bloke, he bought a Jo McCafferty T-shirt and wore it on stage ;)

Cheers

Stuart

John's a smashing guy and a terrific bassist! IQ well worth a listen or two' date=' especially The Wake and Subterranea.

And too young for me? I keep getting called Busted Boy what with ma new hair I'll have ya know![/quote']

oh dear ;) Then again we might have to meet somewhere other than the Moorings, ans she may be too young to get in now they're id-ing ;)

Cheers

Stuart

I wear that ELP t-shirt so much...

Awww... ELP girl, cute, although I'm more of a Genesis girl. If that question was Genesis question I would know the answer, but I'm afraid I can't tell you about I Believe in Father Christmas :( I guess you aren't one of the guys that looked like Axl Rose then. Unless you did before the haircut?

Pete Brown and Piblokto are AWESOME! Well I only have the Art School Dance and Thousands on a Raft but still AWESOME! They are so great. I love Can't Get Off the Planet and the one that goes "I remember my last band..." Wow. What a band!

In Benny the Bouncer I always think it should be "Palais des reves" instead of "palais de danse" That's enough to make me not like it. But if Keith Emerson likes it, then so do I. I really like the end of Trilogy actually.. not sure about just Palmer doing it, but on the record the whole rabid organ synth drum thing sounds most excellent.

I was listening to Atomic Rooster earlier, Carl's drum solos are a little pretentious, but they are also his trademark and if they were a food they'd be the cool, refreshing honey liquid that comes out of fuschias. You know that stuff? That was the thought that came into my mind this morning as I listened.

How about the Nice??

I'm forever gonna be Genesis boy over ELP, I just can't find any band thatg can ever give me that tingle factor in the same way. My very favourite Genesis stuff is actually 1970ish, I love Pacidy and Let Us Now Make Love and Trespass, it sounds so pastoral and Gabriel's voice is gorgeous.

And nope, I've NEVER looked like Axl Rose!

The Nice...Rondo is great, especially since it inspired Banks to write The Knife!

It did? I knew not! I like the Nice song about playing Happy Freuds :)

Yes early Genesis is great, I really can't choose between the Gabera albums and it's nice that you don't dismiss pre-Trespass stuff, because most people do.. From Genesis to Revelation is a good album except maybe for the pissy strings. Looking for Someone is probably my favourite Genesis song, it's got such a great emotional vocal.. ahh I could actually talk about Genesis forever :kiss:

Likewise, they saved my childhood from being utterly crap! Trespass was the one, although strangely I loved And Then There Were Three too, which not many people too.

Am I Very Wrong was another favourite....so adolescent! And Place to Call My Own is really quite affecting the way it reprises AIVW.

Another favourite is Vancouver, too short but what a track!

Oh now I'm embarrassed... I haven't heard Vancouver. I haven't got into the later stuff properly yet :moody: Agree about the FGTR tracks though. His vocals are so delicate and fitting... I love One Day and Hey! too. I lent my archive disc 4 to someone ages ago and still haven't got it back. Grrr...

Ahhh I need that CD back, just remembered Tony's little choirboy vocals! And that reminds me of his backing vocals in Harlequin - that's him, right? The 's' is a little different sounding to the others'.

Yep, going to see TMB and I can't wait - I didn't see the Foxtrot or SEBTP tours but the bootlegs sound fantastic, except when he tries to do Peter's accent when speaking (snigger).

Err... Well, everything before Pete left gets 6/5, Hackett Genesis gets 5/5 although W&W is veerrrry close to the Gabe stuff, ATTWT is pretty good, Duke and onwards varies from bearable to rather enjoyable, even if it is in a bit of a patronising way ;) It could never match up to the early stuff in my opinion. I don't have all the albums of any of them solo... but what I have of Peter's (1,2,3,So,Growing Up) is excellent, Steve's (Voyage, Spectral Mornings) is excellent too, and Phil is not really very good. I don't really like Calling All Stations the album, Ray is a good singer and they are not bad, but they are not even close to what they used to be.

Sorry.. :rolleyes: In short, I like it all but 1967-1975 is the best. How about you? :)

Disc four also has The Shepherd on. wow! I take it you're going to see The Musical Box do The Lamb in Glasgow then! I can't wait!

How are you on the solo stuff' date=' and Calling all Stations?[/quote']

Ahhh Calling All Stations, the most underated Genesis album easily. Ray is one of the best vocalists ever, but you know that as the first time you ever saw me was when i was filming the great Mr Wilson in Edinburgh ;)

Cheers

Stuart

I agree with absolutely every word of that post Bodast.

Harlequin, lovely. Oooh, I have a terrible bootleg of that from 1970!

Solo wise: A Curious Feeling is the only Banks worth checking out, though I ain't heard Strictly Inc which I have heard is good. I love Voyage of the Acolyte too, a magical album and as they say, the best Genesis album that never was!

Feeding the Fire is another great B Side, better than ANYTHING that made it onto Invisible Touch, which it was recorded for!

I saw The Musical Box on the Selling England tour and it was, in honesty, the best gig I have ever been too. It was a chance to do the impossible, and visit 1973. I always said if I had a time machine I'd use it in part to go to great gigs! It was spookily good and also made me see why Genesis caught on...those video clips don'tr do justice to how effective Gabriel was live, I always thought most of the costumes (except the old man) looked daft until I saw this!

Ahh, I've only heard good things about the Musical Box and now you're making me even more excited about seeing them!!

There are so many 'tingle' moments in Genesis songs, the start of Looking for Someone is one and my favourite is "And as the song and dance begins, the children play at home. With needles... needles and pins" - in Broadway Melody of 1974. Heart!

Which bootleg? Is it the BBC sessions one? Or that Le Ferme one? I always confuse my boots - I think those two are mostly the same. Have you heard that song Silver Song?

One of mine is the moment in Fly on a Windshield..."WAITING FOR THE WINDSHIELD ON THE FREEWAY...." and then that huge E minor mellotron chord...fuck!

Another is "seems Helen of Troy has found a new face...again". One all the boys can sympathise with. Bit like the end of The Lady Lies!

never heard Silver Song, that is the one big omission for me!

No, this bootleg was an audience recorded one from 1970, can't remember the venue, its a University somewhere...

This thread has inspired me to go and listen to my ELP and early Genesis albums. I was totally into prog when I was younger. Not that I don't like it now or anything. I was really into Pink Floyd, ELP, Genesis(early stuff), King Crimson, some Jethro Tull and others which I can't remember. I still listen to King Crimson quite often. I suppose some of the bands I listen to now could be classed as modern day prog.

Will do' date=' ace. And as a Gabriel fan you really must checkl out IQ, if only for Peter Nicholls' uncanny resemblance to P Gabriel...scary![/quote']

And for John Jowitt the nicest man in prog after the great Mr John Wesley of course ;)

I hope you'll be up for the Keith Chaos Festival Simon where the great John Young Band is playing :)

Cheers

Stuart