aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
framheim

BP Portrait of the year exhibition

anyone been yet? went in today and was very impressed. some really wonderful portraits this year. not sure about some of the prize winners but the 1st prize was dead good as was the 4th. my favourite was the portrait entitled H where the woman's face almost seemed to melt off. Also liked the cartoon styled black and white one with the big dripping brush strokes. and the guy who'd painted two ghost images of himself was pretty good too. really should've remembered more titles as i'm sure my descriptions are pretty poor.

anyone else have some favourites in there? anyone think it was utter gash?

dammit...i really meant to go when i was up. is this one just paintings or photographs as well? anyone know when it is on till?

how about an abdn music.com portrait competition?? people stick up there best picture of a person and people can comment. anyone?

it's on till the middle of january so there'll still be time to see it if you're up over christmas.

like the sound of a portrait competition.

I've been twice to the exhibition this week and voted for my fav once.

I voted for H by Gary Colclough but I really liked Butterfly by Nicolas Archer.

I'm not a great fan of portraits but i enjoyed the exhibit.

Dave

PS as ever the real life versions look much better than the web pics...

i liked butterfly too' date=' it had really interesting colours.[/quote']

Butterfly - interesting subject matter, a strange blur between video, photography and painting and lovely colours as you say...

I only managed to get into the first room, I wish the art gallery would stay open later. I'll be in again some time though. Notably I like Trace.

dammit...i really meant to go when i was up. is this one just paintings or photographs as well? anyone know when it is on till?

how about an abdn music.com portrait competition?? people stick up there best picture of a person and people can comment. anyone?

That could rock! Perhaps I could judge it (cos Im a professional photographer). The winner could get a lock of my hair (kidding). An ab music photo competition would rule though.

that's an awesome idea...aslong as it doesnt end up as just 10 pages of photoshopped images of camie or ewan cameron. :moody:

That could rock! Perhaps I could judge it (cos Im a professional photographer). The winner could get a lock of my hair (kidding). An ab music photo competition would rule though.

was thinking we could set a closing date for entries, then stick up a poll for the winner...the public decides!

you think?

also...should we go for actual categories or just a "best photo" competition?

Butterfly - interesting subject matter' date=' a strange blur between video, photography and painting and lovely colours as you say...[/quote']

it was named butterfly, due to butterflies signifyin freedom.. freedom to use any sort of medium or technology available. :)