aberdeen-music

Nominations for Fudge awards

Hog

Oooooh' date=' that's just ASKING for a Fudge backlash rant....[/quote']

...or a "lifetime acheivement" award, or even worse a "best female singer/songwriter whos sold thousands of CDs and played at the Barrowlands and shared a stage with Joe Walsh" award. (Not that they don't have that every year)

Still, isn't selling thousands of CDs and playing at the Barrowlands and sharing a stage with Joe Walsh reward enough?

The biggest mistake you can make is thinking the Fudge awards matter.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or a "lifetime acheivement" award' date=' or even worse a "best female singer/songwriter whos sold thousands of CDs and played at the Barrowlands and shared a stage with Joe Walsh" award. (Not that they don't have that every year)

Still, isn't selling thousands of CDs and playing at the Barrowlands and sharing a stage with Joe Walsh reward enough?

The biggest mistake you can make is thinking the Fudge awards matter.[/quote']

I don't think anyone thinks at all that it really matters, more that as these awards are hyped up so much on here, look at the band sections where every band pretty much has several threads about the awards, it would be nice for the one person who has actually gone out and achieved anything to get something.

The Joe Walsh and Barrwland comments were to show that the bands who think they're good on here because they play Drakes to their mates have a long way to go. Joe Walsh is the guitarist from one of the biggest bands of all time, thats pretty impressive, and the Barrowlands is a pretty impressive venue, that being said Jo's got a long way to go still too, she's just further down the road than most people.

The crux of my point was that if Fudge is setting itself up as the local music awards then reward local music that has done something. I think my points are valid, is there anyone else on here who is more deserving of an award, who has achieved more and who has less of an ego ? I think you'd have a problem finding anyone even close - go on Fudge do the right thing...

Jo for Rock Goddess Award... she deserves it more than best punk or best metal, when thee bands achieve half of what she has then fair enough but just now she's criminally underated on the 'scene', fix it boys !!

El Flosso :up:

Guest stuartmaxwell

to be honest i doubt she would want an award after being dingied for so long, then due to people harrassing fudge her getting one

if i had produced some of the music jo has, had the superb voicce (best in aberdeen), etc etc i would be quite happy knowing that i had the last laugh over a snotty music scene of sheep and bandwagon jumpers

i bet stuart and jo are having a good old laugh to themselves right now about this...

I don't think anyone thinks at all that it really matters' date=' more that as these awards are hyped up so much on here, look at the band sections where every band pretty much has several threads about the awards, it would be nice for the one person who has actually gone out and achieved anything to get something.

The Joe Walsh and Barrwland comments were to show that the bands who think they're good on here because they play Drakes to their mates have a long way to go. Joe Walsh is the guitarist from one of the biggest bands of all time, thats pretty impressive, and the Barrowlands is a pretty impressive venue, that being said Jo's got a long way to go still too, she's just further down the road than most people.

The crux of my point was that if Fudge is setting itself up as the local music awards then reward local music that has done something. I think my points are valid, is there anyone else on here who is more deserving of an award, who has achieved more and who has less of an ego ? I think you'd have a problem finding anyone even close - go on Fudge do the right thing...

Jo for Rock Goddess Award... she deserves it more than best punk or best metal, when thee bands achieve half of what she has then fair enough but just now she's criminally underated on the 'scene', fix it boys !!

El Flosso :up:[/quote']

Deserving a fudge award and receiving one are two seperate things. Take me for instance; I've won 3 and I don't think I deserved any of them. It's difficult to give Jo anything since she hasn't been put on the nominations and when you pester Fudge about not being nominated, well, Quik will tell you that one. To sort it now would be a little piece of humble Fudge pie would it not? Mmm, Fudge pie. In theory, it could put down to oversight and Jo could be added to the acoustic or solo artist section. Whatever.

Really though, the awards are voted for by those in attendace at Fudge gigs and as such, are a reflection of our often fickle and insular scene. The fact is that Bri and Craig make it a rather amusing night (not that I went last year) and a dammed fine excuse to get pissed. That's what I think of when I think "The Fudge Awards", so if Jo is missed out that's okay by me because we all know that Jo is great already.

P.S. One other thing - I know who Joe Walsh is.

Deserving a fudge award and receiving one are two seperate things. Take me for instance; I've won 3 and I don't think I deserved any of them. It's difficult to give Jo anything since she hasn't been put on the nominations and when you pester Fudge about not being nominated' date=' well, Quik will tell you that one. To sort it now would be a little piece of humble Fudge pie would it not? Mmm, Fudge pie. In theory, it could put down to oversight and Jo could be added to the acoustic or solo artist section. Whatever.

Really though, the awards are voted for by those in attendace at Fudge gigs and as such, are a reflection of our often fickle and insular scene. The fact is that Bri and Craig make it a rather amusing night (not that I went last year) and a dammed fine excuse to get pissed. That's what I think of when I think "The Fudge Awards", so if Jo is missed out that's okay by me because we all know that Jo is great already.

P.S. One other thing - I know who Joe Walsh is.[/quote']

It's more to do with the fact that Fudge promotes itself as scene promotors and yet for the past 3 years have neither offered a gig nor given an award to the most successful person on the scene, seems kind of contradictory. Fair enough missing out someone one year theres only a limited number of bands and awards but come on. Jo's leaving Aberdeen and the musical scene here will be a lot poorer without her it would just be nice for her to be recognised by the people who peomtoe themselves as running the 'scene' awards.

I'm sure Jo, in reality couldn't care less about the awards but it's nice to award those that have achieved things. Most bands could learn a lot from the way she's done things. It would just be nice if Fudge was more than just away of patting mates on the back, which it often is. Nothing wrong with a good night out occasionally too !! :partyboy:

We all know Jo's great but many other people on the scene don't so let's make sure they do and if lobbying for a rubber duck is the way forward then so be it ;) I think we all know that Fudge won't change their mind, but nothing wrong with making them aware of the feelings of many people.

Is Jo *really* the most succesful person on the scene? I mean, she's probably in a better position than many but really, I don't know. Thing is, if she was awarded a rubber ducky would people outwith the scene know, or care, or even understand what it was? And can you imagine her using it in the bath? I know that's a bit off topic, but hey, give it a try.

Who buys Fudge anyway? Probably it's just misguided kids that see their band's name on the front cover and so, purchase it in eager anticipation of their first CD review. When they discover that the nasty big boys of Fudge have taken their dreams of having any fans ever and cruelly flushed them down the toilet (along with said CD) they probably don't flick to the the awards pages to find out who the #1 acoustic artist is.

In all honesty, I buy Fudge for the humour, to see what they said about the bands I already have an opinion on and to see whether they slagged me off or not.

I get you point and I agree it would be nice for Jo to get something, but win lose or draw I'm sure she doesn't need it. Winning in life is more important than winning awards.

Guest stuartmaxwell

man i wish fowk would lay off fudge

bri (+ sometime craig) busts his ass (sometimes) to provide entertainment and reviews etc etc

so fuck if they have their own kind of thing, they are quite entitled to do what the fuck they like, they are the ones that lose a shedload of cash everytime the do a gig, fanzine etc etc

they are also the ones that organise the fudge awards, regardless of what the naysayers say, its a fucking great night where you get 400+ people with a million tastes in music in the one room and have a great time

ok so fudge awards dont really matter, but fudge do, to dismiss them as jokers etc is plain disrespectful considering what they have done over the years

i support fudge!perhaps its cool with the kids to be anti scene, admit/like it or not everyone is grateful to fudge for something

Is Jo *really* the most succesful person on the scene? I mean' date=' she's probably in a better position than many but really, I don't know. Thing is, if she was awarded a rubber ducky would people outwith the scene know, or care, or even understand what it was? And can you imagine her using it in the bath? I know that's a bit off topic, but hey, give it a try..[/quote']

You can think of Jo in the bath all you like thats your perogative, but you might find you'll go blind. As for her being the most successfull artist in Aberdeen, I'd be suprised if anyone can top her for album sales on the scene, she's sold a good few thousand. She's played sold out gigs in venues like the Amsterdam Paradiso (1000+ capacity - video on www.fabchannel.com), Barrowlands (3000cap), Dingwalls in London (900cap), Hallam University (1000cap) - 2 sold out gigs there, Dunfermline's Carnegie Hall (650 cap), Hellendoorn Blue Lamp (800cap), Kashmir Klub in London (300+cap). She's also played nearly sold out gigs at Corran Halls (around 1000cap), Eden Court Theater(810cap), and many others, I could list more but i'm bored looking through the gig section of her website ;) Mix that with the fact she's supported Marillion, Fish, the H Band, John Young, Glen Tilbrook, David Kitts, Ewan Macfarlane, Iain Archer, Midge Ure and many others. All these guys play to reasonable sized audiences. She has 5 dates lined up for next year the smallest of those is to 650, what're the chances of anyone else here getting close to that ? Add to the fact she's done a major european support tour and has done her own small tour in the US this year. If there are any other bands on this scene who have done that then they also deserve awards. I mean no disrespect to what you did but PoO were seen as one of the biggest bands in Aberdeen and the smallest of Jo's gigs next year is bigger I think than the biggest gig you guys ever did in several years gigging.

Who buys Fudge anyway? Probably it's just misguided kids that see their band's name on the front cover and so' date=' purchase it in eager anticipation of their first CD review. When they discover that the nasty big boys of Fudge have taken their dreams of having any fans ever and cruelly flushed them down the toilet (along with said CD) they probably don't flick to the the awards pages to find out who the #1 acoustic artist is.

In all honesty, I buy Fudge for the humour, to see what they said about the bands I already have an opinion on and to see whether they slagged me off or not.

I get you point and I agree it would be nice for Jo to get something, but win lose or draw I'm sure she doesn't need it. Winning in life is more important than winning awards.[/quote']

Of course she doesn't need it, you've missed the point completely, it would make no difference to her and I'd imagine she couldn't care less, however its a good chance for Fudge to do the right thing. It's about Fudge giving an award to someone who deserves it. I'd imagine Jo is probably quite embarassed by this thread but I think that the scene should award her simple as that and why not get behind it, Jo is not going to measure her success by a rubber duck, i'd imagine that playing to thousands of people a night on Eurpoean tours etc is much more likely to be something she measures her success by, but theres no reason to try and destroy our bubble, there are lots of people on here who want to see her being rewarded no harm in them saying so is there ? Public forum and all that...

Jo deserves an award, she is one hell of a talented lass. Element havent been nominated but Spike have been nominated even although Element is my serious band and been way more productive. Fudge guys are entitled to nominate who they want though, they are fine lads and harrasing them is not worth while.

Jesus.

If you want Fudge to give awards to people who've played big crowds, does that mean the little runt in S Club Juniors or whatever the hell they are will be up for a gong?! :p

I wonder how people can take the whole thing so seriously... I mean, last year I turned up in a 5 charity shop suit with a suitable mould layer on it, a badly written Karloff slogan on the back, some shades, and lots of fake blood. I got pissed, annoyed people, and attempted to hug as many people wearing fine dress as I could so it would piss them off that I got blood on their frock. Backstage, I then duly annointed Dan MyMindsAtomLoadedWeapon across the forehead with fake blood, to then comically watch him complain because it got in his eyes and stung.

Take it for what it is, a bit of fun. If it wasn't, do you really think anyone would seriously vote Jonny Loo Sniffer "Most Sexy Male"?!

:bat:

If you want Fudge to give awards to people who've played big crowds' date=' does that mean the little runt in S Club Juniors or whatever the hell they are will be up for a gong?! :p[/quote']

that's not a bad idea when you think about it..could you imagine making him think it's a deadly serious affair? ;)

Guest stuartmaxwell

Last year' date=' I got hiddiously drunk and started throwing pint glasses at Brian on stage and would have got thrown out if it wasn't from a helpful jab in the ribs from Catherine! :up:[/quote']

:laughing:

i dont think you were alone

oh what a fine night that was

the power of scotsmac fortified wine blended with whisky

Guest RockMonkey

Thanks to all you folks who think I should be getting an award. It's good to know you like the music (or just enjoy watching me walk into things).

The good old Fudge folks do a sterling job in their field, and the awards are for people that have played their gigs.

So there isn't an award for "Singer Who Has Been on the Scene for 12 Years and Has Finally Seen Sense and is Buggering Off"

They seem like a lot of fun, and if I wasn't moving away then I'd probably go along for the beer, and any pillars, stairs or carboots that I could possibly injure myself on.

However, in the spirit of good fun, if you all want to give me an award, I will be available on the 8th Dec in the Belmont Cinema Cafe for the "Thank God She's Leaving" party, and will be happy to receive any rubber ducks etc you wish to send my way.

Or you could just buy me a tequila. Marginally cheaper and easier to digest...

You're all welcome anyway, it would be good to see you there.

Thanks peeps,

Jo

xxx

i turn my back for a second, and an interesting thread pops up. *suprise*

fudge was started as something to do other than coursework, and fudgenights in order to get pissed with our friends, play the records we wanted, and watch bands we'd picked ourselves. you should try it, it's a great night out for YOU, even if noone else agrees :)

as everybody can clearly see by the many amazing omissions and errors in the actual nominations, we had a drunk monkey decide the categories with a pin and a picture of a donkey. we just sat back and watched. he (i think it's a he) picked jo as a nominee in the 'best arabian act' category, but i decided not to go with that one in the end. sorry.

the monkey is now in hiding.

Guest stuartmaxwell
i turn my back for a second' date=' and an interesting thread pops up. *suprise*

fudge was started as something to do other than coursework, and fudgenights in order to get pissed with our friends, play the records we wanted, and watch bands we'd picked ourselves. you should try it, it's a great night out for YOU, even if noone else agrees :)

as everybody can clearly see by the many amazing omissions and errors in the actual nominations, we had a drunk monkey decide the categories with a pin and a picture of a donkey. we just sat back and watched. he (i think it's a he) picked jo as a nominee in the 'best arabian act' category, but i decided not to go with that one in the end. sorry.

the monkey is now in hiding.[/quote']

:laughing:

the monkeys!

gleebin...