aberdeen-music

Can't wait to check it out!

Marillionboy

The ales will return but we really need something like the minimum price to kick in to help make them commercially viable. Wetherspoons is able to sell the stuff for less than we can purchase it. It's ludicrous.

We spent a small fortune building a special cellar for the ales, installing temp control equipment, replacing the lines, introducing oversize glasses, installing new pumps... and then 6 months down the line we were still only selling <10 pints a week, forcing us to pour the other 200 pints down the drain (cos real ale only has a shelf life of one week). We tried reducing the number of ales, but then we sold even less becase people complained there insufficient choice.

Once we reintroduce the ales we'll probably stick with a fixed range of the ones that the students like to drink rather than fart around with guest beers as these usually go untouched.

It's pissing me off as well not having any, but we just can't afford to throw out that volume of stock. One thing that would help enormously would be if the breweries re-introduced the 36 pint casks, as this would enable us to stock 3-4 ales with the volumetric exposure of only 2 full size casks.

The support from the local CAMRA branch was laughable. One day they organised a meeting in the bar, so we prepared sandwiches etc, put on 4 fresh casks of their favourite ales and got them all nicely conditioned in time for the meeting. When they showed up less than half of them sampled any of the ales, we sold a total of 11 pints, the meeting lasted ~30mins and they all fucked off up to the Prince of Wales. Nice! They did eat all the sandwiches though.

So the real ale situation is a real sore point.

This is tremendous! Which Marillion dare I ask? Not that there's a bad album pre-95!

Shame you're not around tonight to see Jo playing the Moporings. Jo has played with Marillion, Fish and Steve Hogarth's solo act the H Band all around Europe, as well as having the inimitable John Wesley as a fan of hers. She's also played with the John Young Band made up of Steve Vantsis, John Young, Squeeks, and Robin Boult. Should be a good show, it would have been cool to meet you and sharea pint and discuss the old days ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Can't really go wrong' date=' I'll have The Web pouring out before I've even blown the froth off my pint.

Is Moshulu worth checking out on a Thursday, I hear its good? MAy go on there afterwards...[/quote']

We put on Script because Frank and myself wanted to here the eponymous track through the PA. It's the remasted version. Now we've heard it we may well swap it out for Clutching at Straws... although Fugazi is also very tempting. Provided we time this just right right then you met get a crack at hearing both LOL.

Ever been to this site BTW:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=1758

It's really well done.

For Pallas we went with Sentinal, and Arrive Alive sounds particularily impressive. Despite all the comparisons drawn between the two bands both their sound and choice of material could not be more different. IMO Pallas are more of the Rush school of prog (OK perhaps that's not the best description I guess I mean the rockier end of the spectrum) whereas Fish era Marillion were more similar to Genesis, although not the clones that some people would have us believe.

I think we'll continue with our Marillion run and stick Brave in next. I'm one of those people that likes both incarnations of Marillion. Seasons End was a very underrated album.

We're making progress on the ale front but unlikely to have anything sorted in time for your visit.

We put on Script because Frank and myself wanted to here the eponymous track through the PA. It's the remasted version. Now we've heard it we may well swap it out for Clutching at Straws... although Fugazi is also very tempting. Provided we time this just right right then you met get a crack at hearing both LOL.

Ever been to this site BTW:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=1758

It's really well done.

For Pallas we went with Sentinal' date=' and Arrive Alive sounds particularily impressive. Despite all the comparisons drawn between the two bands both their sound and choice of material could not be more different. IMO Pallas are more of the Rush school of prog (OK perhaps that's not the best description I guess I mean the rockier end of the spectrum) whereas Fish era Marillion were more similar to Genesis, although not the clones that some people would have us believe.

I think we'll continue with our Marillion run and stick Brave in next. I'm one of those people that likes both incarnations of Marillion. Seasons End was a very underrated album.

We're making progress on the ale front but unlikely to have anything sorted in time for your visit.[/quote']

I think Clutching and Brave would sound great through the system, Brave especially but you'd have to play the full album... it was great to walk in last night and hear Forgotten Sons blasting out, i was well impressed ;) Jo was accusing me of having been over to the jukebox ;) Vicious lies... Tell you what else i'd love to hear through that Jukebox, Field of Crows by Fish I think would be amazing through that speaker system... thats one to consider Flash...

Cheers

Stuart

For me I'd opt for Clutch (the ultimate drinking record, and the opening of That Time of the Night always reminds me of the docks in Aberdeen for some reason, something about the atmosphere of it! I'd also plump for B'Sides Themselves because of Grendel! Still not got the remastered Script so haven't heard the demo'd Grendel on there.

I agree about both eras, I love Brave and Seasons, though I don't think much else post-Fish comes close. Still coming to terms with Field of Crows, love Exit Wound but so far am still trying to get to grips with the rest before I see him live next week. (Fish on Monday, Tippi on Tuesday) :partyboy:

Agree about Pallas, never saw much of a similarity myself between Marillion, Pallas, Jadis or IQ, the four neo-prog bands I liked.

News just in...looks like I may be moving back home for a bit chaps, so this could become more regular than once a month!

OKay folks' date=' I'll see you in there next Saturday night (27th). Will probs be back in the week too, poss on Thursday! Stuart do say hello, how will I know you?[/quote']

Saturday it is, at about 8ish probably and I'll wear a marillion/fish tshirt not many of those about, tho i think we've met before, just no idea where,

Cheers

Stuart

I am so gutted it turned out to be such a brief visit! I had intended to show my face, nip off for a couple of hours cos I had to catch up with anothyer mate in Belmont St and then head back, and I ended up getting totally waylaid, if you know what I mean. But even for the brief moments I was there, a stunning job has been done with the place and I can't wait for a proper long evening session in there! Blinding.

Will be back on 28th December for a whole fortnight. Also am gonna be in Aberdeen for the 31st, what's planned for the pub that night?