aberdeen-music

who has not seen star wars?

delboy

Guest haigyman
hahaha demon.....hes not the only one! I honestly have never seen any Star Wars or Lord of the Rings films' date=' zero interest whatsoever :gringo:[/quote']

i just can't understand this...why would you have zero interest in seeing films that many people think are amongst the greatest ever made?

Guest haigyman

wtf, what a stupid fucking question, not only are you missing out on some fucking ace films, but the amount of humorous references that you'll understand are practically worth it alone.

i just can't understand this...why would you have zero interest in seeing films that many people think are amongst the greatest ever made?[/quote

Im sure they are pretty decent and well shot blah blah blah but im afraid im not one of those "many people". I guess i kinda prefer films of gritty realism like "One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest" and "Get Carter", and things like that, not fantastical nonsense

I've never seen any of them. Or any of the Lord of the Rings films. Whenever I tell people that they always try and lend me the DVD's of them' date=' but thats like 9 hours worth of film I'd have to sit through. Am I missing out on much?[/quote']

you are indeed. star wars is was made in the late 70's and still to this day (with the help of remastering) doesnt look dated. such a classic triolgy of films

how do you know you are not one of these "many people" if you've never seen them? like demon of the fall said' date=' he's not much of a sci fi fan and he loves them[/quote']

U never know its theoretically possible, but i highly doubt it. Its like when people say they dont like brussel sprouts or asparagus or rabbit brain, theres a chance theyd like it if they tried but 99% of the time they dont. :gringo:

wtf' date=' what a stupid fucking question, not only are you missing out on some fucking ace films, but the amount of humorous references that you'll understand are practically worth it alone.[/quote']

bet you've never watched in depth the mental breakdown of frank butcher in 1994 in eastenders, more humerous references than you've had hot dinners me old donut.

'ive answered your questions five times over, its not too much to expect a bit of sympathy is it?'

i just can't understand this...why would you have zero interest in seeing films that many people think are amongst the greatest ever made?[/quote

Im sure they are pretty decent and well shot blah blah blah but im afraid im not one of those "many people". I guess i kinda prefer films of gritty realism like "One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest" and "Get Carter"' date= and things like that, not fantastical nonsense

Star Wars was partly so succesful because it came out in the decade of Taxi Driver and the like. The American psyche was still pretty fucked from Vietnam, and Star Wars gave Americans teh chance to cast themselves as plucky rebels battling a cruel, psuedo-facist empire rather than being the cruel, psuedo-facist empire. Not EXACTLY "fantastical nonsense".

i was forced in 5th year to watch the first three by a 'friend' i only made it through the first one, havent seen the rest. Guess im glad i saw the first one as it is quite a good one, but i still oddly have no intention of seeing the rest of them.

LOTR on the other hand is a masterful piece of filmmaking i reccomend to anyone. unless you have a low attention span or an urge for all the glimmer of 'hollywood', then i suggest you stick to the high budget flash in the pan blockbusters.

Star Wars was partly so succesful because it came out in the decade of Taxi Driver and the like. The American psyche was still pretty fucked from Vietnam' date=' and Star Wars gave Americans teh chance to cast themselves as plucky rebels battling a cruel, psuedo-facist empire rather than being the cruel, psuedo-facist empire. Not EXACTLY "fantastical nonsense".[/quote']

Well seeing as you pointed out there that the Americans in fact WERE the pseudo-fascist empire, please explain how battling a pseudo-fascist empire isnt pure fantasy?

Well seeing as you pointed out there that the Americans in fact WERE the pseudo-fascist empire' date=' please explain how battling a pseudo-fascist empire isnt pure fantasy?[/quote']

America NEEDED pure fantasy at the time. In it's historical context, Star Wars is quite interesting. Blatantly referencing the old Sci-Fi serials and Westerns when all your contemparies are showing how shitty life is is kinda ballsy, in a way.

i was forced in 5th year to watch the first three by a 'friend' i only made it through the first one' date=' havent seen the rest. Guess im glad i saw the first one as it is quite a good one, but i still oddly have no intention of seeing the rest of them.

LOTR on the other hand is a masterful piece of filmmaking i reccomend to anyone. unless you have a low attention span or an urge for all the glimmer of 'hollywood', then i suggest you stick to the high budget flash in the pan blockbusters.[/quote']

THose are good films, but they're pretty Hollywood, I'd argue.

right i never meant to watch not to watch star wars, considoring i was born in 1969 on its release it was big big (nah make that huge) film. it was one of those films i'd always wanted to see but never did. a circumstances thing.

anyway the film kind of went into the midsts of time and was re-issued in 1997 (remastared and all that), i was in LA at the time and said to my mate who i was staying/dossing/outstaying my welcome with and said 'id love to see star wars at the cinema in its new groovy (i dont actually use the word groovy usually) format. so we queued for a few hours only to be told its sold out. we went to see 'the people vs larry flint' instead.

THose are good films' date=' but they're pretty Hollywood, I'd argue.[/quote']

well yeah obviously, i meant hollywood in the kinda glitz and glamour respect, something you certainly cant accuse LOTR of being. It really is in a leauge of its own in a very timeless way.